A330 gets its wing clipped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A330 gets its wing clipped

Incident: BMI A332 near Tel Aviv on Jun 20th 2009, lightning strike cuts winglet

By Simon Hradecky, created Saturday, Jun 20th 2009 17:26Z, last updated Saturday, Jun 20th 2009 17:28Z
    A BMI British Midland Airbus A330-200, registration G-WWBD performing flight BD-762 (dep. Jun 19th) from London Heathrow,EN (UK) to Tel Aviv (Israel), was struck by a lightning while on approach to Tel Aviv. The crew continued for a safe landing, however without the right winglet that was still attached during departure from London.

The airplane was able to perform the flight BD-763 back to London on schedule.

G-WWBD taxiing in Tel Aviv without winglet (Photo: Yochai Mossi)

The story must be bogus. After all many self proclaimed experts have claimed that plastic composites are equal to or better than legacy metals in regards to lightning strike and EMP; to the self proclaimed experts it is implausible to think that a lightning strike could cause a structural failure of a composite Airbus (or any manufacturer). Airbus particularly is impervious to lightning strike and EMP.

(Please note the above is partly in sarcasm)

Please note that in the past I have had many of my posts censored and have been threatened with banning because I insisted that it was possible that there could be structural damage to plastic composites (as metals) from lightning strikes and as well as internal electrical component damage from EMP from lightning strikes. Please note that many of my posts have been removed that are on this subject; though was mostly at the sister site. I'm often criticized and threatened with banning and have had my posts removed because I'm willing to consider ideas that are still plausible (though far-fetched) but not popular.

Though I don't agree with "IT's" (the attention whore) tone and approach; I often agree with his underlying science. Though I don't agree with his methodology in posting; in his absence I will jokingly say "cheap composites".

Comment

Composites don't conduct electricity, hence they are susceptible to structural damage during lightning, unless they are properly protected.

Comment

Originally posted by

G-WWBD taxiing in Tel Aviv without winglet (Photo: Yochai Mossi)
        [url
        http://avherald.com/img/bmi_a332_g-wwbd_tel_aviv_090620_1.jpg[/url]
        This link site is forribben now. Dang! Do you have another link?

Stuart

Comment

Originally posted by Big777jet View Post
          This link site is forribben now. Dang! Do you have another link?

Stuart
          Here...
          -Not an Airbus or Boeing guy here.
          -20 year veteran on the USN Lockheed P-3 Orion.

Comment

Another photo from Tel Aviv Ben Gurion,
            Taken by Michael Sender during the takeoff back to London Heathrow without the missing winglet:

Takeoff from runway 26 on its way back to London early in the morning during very hazy & gray weather, without its right winglet. He's missing the winglet on its way from London to Tel Aviv due to lightning strike.. G-WWBD. Airbus A330-243. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!
            Last edited by Guest; 2009-06-21, 08:11.

Comment

Originally posted by ErezS View Post
              Another photo from Tel Aviv Ben Gurion,
              Taken by Michael Sender during the takeoff back to London Heathrow without the missing winglet:

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6595163
              Wow... I wouldn't fee too dandy about flying in that... I wonder at the crew announcement to the passengers

So, the question is obvious: what's the utility of the winglet?

Comment

Originally posted by mosteo View Post
                Wow... I wouldn't fee too dandy about flying in that... I wonder at the crew announcement to the passengers

To improve fuel efficiency as a result of lift enhancement
                Actually Acft can be flown with both winglets removed (using configuration deviation list (CDL))
                But to loose it in flight is abnormal and could cause structure damage
                Hope I answered your inquiry

Comment

Originally posted by mosteo View Post

I would bet 95% of the people getting on the aircraft wouldn't even realize its missing anything. Hell majority of people getting on an airplane couldn't tell you if it was an Airbus or a Boeing without looking at their ticket. Those 5% left that would know its missing, would also know its not a structural part of the aircraft, nor required to be there for flight.
                  -Not an Airbus or Boeing guy here.
                  -20 year veteran on the USN Lockheed P-3 Orion.

Comment

A missing winglet after lightning struck the wing? Should not be that way.

Comment

Working...
                    X