Plane and lawnmower cut it close in Dublin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plane and lawnmower cut it close in Dublin

I bet the bloke on the lawnmower had skidmarks as big as the ones left by the 757...

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

A near-miss between a man on a tractor lawnmower and a Boeing 757 landing at Dublin Airport is being looked into by Irish air investigators.

The plane was carrying 198 passengers and eight crew and was returning from Sharm-el-Sheikh in Egypt last month.

The driver of the sit-on mower did not notice the plane until its wing passed over his head as he cut grass near the runways.

No-one was injured in the incident in the early hours of 29 May.

The Irish Department of Transport's air accident investigation unit found the small ride-on grass mower had been moving along the runway a number of metres inside the edge runway lighting.

"The mower had no rear lighting or flashing beacon and it was not equipped with any airband radio equipment capable of listening out on the control tower frequency," said the report.

"The driver of the mower was unaware that an aircraft was landing and he did not see the aircraft before it passed his vehicle.

"It is probable that the starboard wing of the Boeing 757 passed over the ride-on mower during the landing roll."

Air traffic controllers were not aware the unsuspecting workman was almost in the path of the oncoming jet when they gave the all-clear for landing.

In a preliminary report, investigators recommended Dublin Airport Authority should ensure all vehicles operating close to active runways have flashing lights, airband VHF radios linked to ground control and tower frequencies and were fitted with equipment to be detected on the ground.

The DAA told the investigation it had already implemented the interim safety recommendation.

A final report will be published when a full investigation is complete.
    2005 - LBA-LHR-MAD-SCL (BMI/Iberia A319/A340)
    2006 - EZE-MAD-LHR-LBA (BMI/Iberia A319/A340)
    2007 - MAN-MBJ (Monarch B767)
    2008 - MAN-CDG-HKG/HKG-CDG-MAN (Air France B777)
    2008 - MAN-AMS-IAH/IAH-AMS-MAN (KLM B747 combi)

30/31 Mar 2010 - MAN-AMS-SIN (KLM B737/B777)
    06 May 2010 - GOA-LGW-MAN (British Airways A320)

I would bet that dude was checking his pants shortly afterwords..

Comment

I don't get this sort of thing. Maybe just me, but if I'm going to be in/on a vehicle near an active run/taxi-way, I'd want to be darn sure Control tower knows where I AM and I know where any traffic might be near me.

WTF, this surely can't be the FIRST time somebody cut grass at this airport.

Comment

Wouldn't a maintenance guy like that have a walkie-talkie? I mean its an airport, not a golf course. Well, it makes a good story. It being Ireland, I might even think its blarney.

Comment

The mower man either hit the Guinness before the incident, but definitely after the incident......

Comment

Originally posted by mocus1 View Post
            The mower man either hit the Guinness before the incident, but definitely after the incident......
            If I were that close to Heaven and lived, I'd find some way to celebrate.

Comment

Originally posted by mocus1 View Post
              I'd say both before and after - This is the Irish we're talking about here!

Comment

I'd say tut-tut to G-dale, but I just saw an Irish comedian who made a joke about an air hostess asking a passenger, "Are you Irish?" When the passenger said yes, the hostess said "You'll need me to leave the beverage cart with you then".

Comment

A couple of Aussies told me they were flying back to the US after visiting their home country. They drank all the beer they had on the plane and then asked the flight attendant to ask the pilot if he would turn around so they could get some more Fosters. He refused. I laughed heartily.

Comment

Originally posted by G-DALE View Post
                    I'd say both before and after - This is the Irish we're talking about here!
                    Please desist with the stereotypical humour. If you attempted this type of thing about "African Americans" the thread would be closed immediately and you'd be (rightly) banned.
                    It was more than likely a Polish man driving the tractor anyway.

Comment

Guys, if it was an irish guy, he would have been drinking before, after, and during. Lets get our stereotypes straight here.

Comment

I am lodging an official complaint about the nature of this thread,
                        I find it incredibly offensive and racist.

Comment

Originally posted by Thurian View Post
                          I am lodging an official complaint about the nature of this thread,
                          I find it incredibly offensive and racist.
                          Me too. I'm offended and outraged at your suggestion that he was more than likely a Polish man. I find the suggestion that we all know how to drive tractors offensive and racist.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter_K View Post
                            Me too. I'm offended and outraged at your suggestion that he was more than likely a Polish man. I find the suggestion that we all know how to drive tractors offensive and racist.
                            Fact, a vast majority of landscaping and ground maintainance companies here employ Polish people because of their hard working nature and maybe because some of them can drive tractors too!

There is a bit of a difference between suggesting someone can drive a tractor and someone being drunk all the time.

Comment

The question that is baffling me here, is why was he mowing the lawn when it was clearly dark and also, how can anyone miss something the size of a 757 coming up behind them, especially when its got lights on for landing.

As for the comments about Irish people being drunk all the time, well i happen to know a lot of Irish people who dont drink at all. I also dont think anyone in their right mind would go out into a hazardous work environment drunk. Having said that there have been situations where this has happened. Now i know you were joking about it but these days these sorts of jokes can land people in lets say sticky situations. I personally am very proud to be 1/8th Irish.

Comment

Working...
                              X