Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A very iffy day for an aerobatic display pilot...and a family in a car (Video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A very iffy day for an aerobatic display pilot...and a family in a car (Video)

The pilot was performing aerial acrobatic manoeuvres and struck the family car, which was parked on a road near the airfield.

The impact of the collision tore the bottom frame off the airplane and left it and the car in a nearby field.

The married couple, who were in the car at the moment of impact, suffered scratches while their daughter suffered some injuries, but no-one had to be taken to the hospital. The pilot also suffered minor injuries but was not hospitalised either.

"Clearly guardian angels had a hand in the outcome," Grossostheim police said in a statement about the incident.
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

The people on the footpath were flamin' lucky too....
    2005 - LBA-LHR-MAD-SCL (BMI/Iberia A319/A340)
    2006 - EZE-MAD-LHR-LBA (BMI/Iberia A319/A340)
    2007 - MAN-MBJ (Monarch B767)
    2008 - MAN-CDG-HKG/HKG-CDG-MAN (Air France B777)
    2008 - MAN-AMS-IAH/IAH-AMS-MAN (KLM B747 combi)

30/31 Mar 2010 - MAN-AMS-SIN (KLM B737/B777)
    06 May 2010 - GOA-LGW-MAN (British Airways A320)

Wow. I love how the crowd watching just stands there and looks around after seeing it hit a car and flip.
    Coyote

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote View Post
      Wow. I love how the crowd watching just stands there and looks around after seeing it hit a car and flip.
      Old way of thinking. New way of thinking, if you have no idea of first aid and wouldn't know what to do. Stay outta the way. No sense having someone run up to a plane without protective gear,basic knowledge of first aid,vehicle extracation, or fire fighting if theres a plane thats about to explode and instead of a dead person you have a dozen. It's not the movies. Joe schmo isn't able to jsut spring into action for something he wholey untrained for. He's gotta think, even if just for a few seconds as he doesn't have the benefit of repetition and muscle memory that training gives you. A crowd of gawkers around the plane, or people who get the courage then just stare mezmorized at the injured people isn't going to help anyone. It's not as simple as most people think and until you are put in their shoes you don't know how you would react. Also people could have been trying to figure out what just happened, if your not ready for a situation to happen you won't be able to react to it. Same way a cop can sit in the center median of a highway 2 miles straight in plain sight and run radar which is only really useful 1500 or so feet away and bag speeders all day on I-95. You see someone facing perpindicular to the road from a mile away,maybe 1/2 mile or so away you can clearly see its a cop,and you keep speeding because its so obvious it just doesn't register because he's not hidden or anything. Same way a driver will look u in the eyes,then turn left in front of you. Also the plane stopped tumbling less then 2 seconds before the video ended in real time. I would hardly call that just standing around chilling without a care in the world. It hasn't computed in their heads yet.

Comment

Hi all,

i was there that day and the initial reaction of course was one of shock on the part of all present. The emergency services were on the scene within two minutes and the good news that the pilot was ok was then announced to the relieved public. No mention was made that he did a car. Luckily the aircraft did not catch fire, that would have been very nasty. The flying display was understandably cancelled after that.

This is the aircraft concerned, taken half an hour before the accident....

I'm actually very surpised this made the BBC news, as it was only on the local news here....

Best rgds,
        MK

Comment

Originally posted by bob12312357 View Post
          No sense having someone run up to a plane without protective gear,basic knowledge of first aid,vehicle extracation, or fire fighting if theres a plane thats about to explode and instead of a dead person you have a dozen. It's not the movies.
          You're right, this is not the movies. Not ALL airplanes are about to explode.
          My photos at JP.net

National Air Traffic Controllers Association

Comment

Working...
          X