Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Air India 744 engine catches fire at BOM!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air India 744 engine catches fire at BOM!

VT-ESM (cn 27078/987) A Bad day for Air India! Timely information provided by vigilant passengers onboard "KONARK" bound for Riyadh today at 10.30am averted what would have been a sure disaster! Apparently, a fuel leak from the wings onto the engines provoked sparks and fire from engine1 (extreme right). Luckily, the fire was doused in the nick of time. All 213 passengers were evacuated through emergency exit chutes of the 744 which was brought to a halt on A3. Notice the charred engine 1 cowling and the wing leading edge.

Sad to see. I was on KONARK on my RTE BOM-CDG-EWR a few years back.

Comment

What usually causes engine fires?

Comment

I was going to ask that question. Obviously the most flammable thing is fuel. Does the burning just continue till fuel ceases to be available. Is it right to call it a "burning engine"?

Comment

Re:

Originally posted by miked860 View Post
          In this case, as Sean posted, it was a fuel leak. Other causes are usually FOD or bird strikes. Or in the extreme rare case a failure of the engine components themselves can also cause a fire. Kudos to the passengers for alerting the crew for it could definitely have been much worse.

Comment

Originally posted by miked860 View Post
            Inside or Outside?

Inside: Fuel being injected into the combustion chamber, this is normal.

Outside: Fuel leaking on a hot engine, this is abnormal.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
                Looks like the fire crews more than earn their pay today.

Comment

Working...
                X