Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fokker 100-Gear up landing at Stuttgart

14th September 2009

A Contact Air Fokker 100 has landed with gear partially retracted at Stuttgart.

D-AFKE

flight LH288 form Berlin, Tegel

73 Passengers and 5 crew - no reported injuries.

according to SDA (swiss news agency) there were 82 pax and 5 crew on board of the Contact Air A/C. among the passengers, the head of the german social democrats franz müntefering was on board.

the plane landed safely on a foam carpet (is this the correct english word?) though one flight attendant suffered minor injuries and had to be brought into a hospital.

Comment

Video-footage of the landing on german-news-site:
      Die gesuchte Seite ist leider nicht verfügbar (Fehlernummer 404)

from what I saw online elsewhere the airplane performed a go around first.
      news say the airport firebrigades had laid out a foam-layer prior to the landing.

could someone give more insight in the relevant procedures and techniques, please?

Comment

better quality amateur video recording of the landing:

according to the german politician on board interviewed afterwards the landing was even smoother than landing on wheels!

Comment

Kudos to the flight crew!

Comment

Looks like Contact Air does make contact...

Another photo attached. Click to enlarge:
            Next:
            None Planned

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
              Kudos to the flight crew!
              So he wants aircraft to land on firefighting foam instead of wheels?

Comment

Originally posted by ced ampo View Post
                So he wants aircraft to land on firefighting foam instead of wheels?
                Err, yeah, saves on tyre rubber.

Comment

there's some more video coverage of the incident, this time on an australian news site:

the video shows the airplane coming in at a very low angle.

could it be that fire brigades were a bit mal positioned? to 'early' on the runway (more towards the middle of it), as when you see the airplane (running) sliding out no fire brigade engines are visible close to the final stoping site.

Comment

I wouldn't think they'd want to be down field. The airplane could come sliding into them.

Comment

When they foam a runway, is it out of service for hours? Maybe they need a true emergency where other options have been eliminated before they take a runway out. Unless the plane landed at some out-of-the-way airport.

I don't think my nearest international airport has dropped foam in the last decade.

Comment

Originally posted by EconomyClass View Post
                        When they foam a runway, is it out of service for hours? Maybe they need a true emergency where other options have been eliminated before they take a runway out. Unless the plane landed at some out-of-the-way airport.

I don't think my nearest international airport has dropped foam in the last decade.
                        I don't think my nearest international airport has dropped foam in the last decade either.

As they only have 1 rwy at EDDS, cancellations in the monday schedule had to be made. And the Fokker 100 flightplan for sure included a second airport, but EDDS still seemed to be the best place for landing due to a bunch of reasons.
                        The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
                        The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
                        And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
                        This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadstick View Post
                          I wouldn't think they'd want to be down field. The airplane could come sliding into them.
                          good point, thanks. again learned something today!

Comment

Originally posted by EconomyClass View Post

on another report I saw today they actually said 'immediatly after the plane came down fire brigades foamed around the airplane to prevent fire'.

any airport firebrigade people here on the list? any detailed information about those procedure?

Comment

Working...
                            X