LO SP-LLD rwy evacuation at EPPO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LO SP-LLD rwy evacuation at EPPO

Happened yesterday (09-22-09) at Poznan Airport (EPPO), Aircraft was Boeing 734 SP-LLD (c/n 27256).
    pic
    What happened? Seems like a twin-engine-out?!?

Any further information is appreciated.

They received a fire warning during the landing roll and evacuated the passengers.

It was later found to be a false warning.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
      They received a fire warning during the landing roll and evacuated the passengers.
      Would be interesting to know if they turned off centerline in an attempt to place the offending engine downwind.....if so, good for the crew as many might not consider that in the heat of battle.

They're clearly only evacuating from the right side so you have to figure that the left engine is the problem child. Makes you wonder why the L1 slide is even blown to begin with....
      Last edited by Vnav; 2009-09-23, 21:42.
      Parlour Talker Extraordinaire

Comment

Originally posted by Vnav View Post
        They're clearly only evacuating from the right side so you have to figure that the left engine is the problem child. Makes you wonder why the L1 slide is even blown to begin with....
        It looks to me that the rear-left slide is deployed too.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Would be interesting to know if they turned off centerline in an attempt to place the offending engine downwind.....if so, good for the crew as many might not consider that in the heat of battle.

If its the left engine and in general you land into the wind, wouldn't the turn to the right of the centerline have put the engine upwind?
          ADCR
          Tongue tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit

Comment

Andy,

Let me start by saying that I am no expert on the operations at small Polish airports and that most of what I'm about to say is conjecture or good ole' fashioned parlour talk......

I cannot find a link to an airport diagram for EPPO, but have seen the layout from Google Maps. The first thing you notice is that the taxiways only go to midfield and the departure end of RWY29 (the field has a single RWY29/11). I was able to pull up the METARs for the last couple of days at EPPO and found that the winds have consistently been relatively light out of the Southwest for an extended period (around 240/6kts has been a steady average).

With the setup that they have, I'm guessing that they try to land on RWY11 even when there is a slight tailwind simply to avoid having arriving planes perform a 180 turn on the runway. As long as the tailwind component is less than 10kts, I'm guessing that's the preffered operation. I'm also surmising that traffic at EPPO is light enough to allow opposite direction departures off RWY29 even with the eastbound arrival flow.

Assuming my guesses are true, then this aircraft landed on RWY 11 with a small right quartering tailwind. By turning to the right of centerline at the end of the roll, they turned into the wind placing the left engine upwind. I will refer back to my original post and say that I don't even know the reason for the plane ending up off centerline....I'm giving them the beneifit of the doubt and assuming they had a fire warning and were savvy enough to place the engine in question upwind....if so, good for them as I reccently had training and my rejected Takeoff scenario involved an engine fire and with bells going off and trying to get the airplane stopped, I don't recall having the situational awareness to turn in any particular direction and I don't recall it being a debrief point (although the item is certainly suggested in our manuals)

EDIT...Sorry, my link for Google maps isn't going straight to Poznan, but I simply searched 'Poznan airport' on Satellite view.
            Last edited by Vnav; 2009-09-24, 17:05.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
              It looks to me that the rear-left slide is deployed too.

Yes, you might be right. However, even though the photo seems to show the tail end of the evac, it looks like they prevented PAX from using the left exits.

Obviously this was an unanticipated Evac so it's unlikely that the Captain had a chance to prebrief the cabin crew, however, it is up to the Captain when making his Evac PA to specify any instructions (i.e. "Flight Attendents, from the RIGHT exits only, Evacuate, Evacuate, Evacuate!"). Even if he did that, it's possible that in the surprise, the Cabin Crew poopped both sides.....it's also possible that a passenger initiated the blowing the slides. In any event, having poppped those slides, it looks like the crew then did a good job of keeping passengers from using that side.

While clearly you would be worried about injuring any pax if there was a massive fire on that side, there is another very valid reason to keep them away.....that's because in a very short period of time, you will have a number of very large Crash Crew trucks screaming at high speed for that side of the plane and you don't need a bunch of people milling about. Not only do they simply get in the way of the crews performing their duty, but there are a number of cases of PAX being hit by inbound Fire Crews.

Comment

Yes, you might be right. However, even though the photo seems to show the tail end of the evac, it looks like they prevented PAX from using the left exits.
                I agree and it was not my intention to imply something contrary to that.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Nav, it was not an engine but an APU fire warning. They popped the slides open on both sides though I'm not sure if all were used.
                  Few more pictures:

Peter_K reporting to you live from a hotel room underneath the approach path to EPPO in Poznan.

Comment

Oh, yes... that famous false alarm.
                    I've been told that the 737s tend to trigger a false APU fire warning now and then for no apparent reason.

Comment

Working...
                    X