Engine fails on Singapore A380

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine fails on Singapore A380

PARIS, Sept 27 (Reuters) - A Singapore Airlines (SIAL.SI) A380 was forced to turn round mid-flight and head back to Paris on Sunday after one of its four engines failed, the head of the airline's French operations said.

The doubledecker A380 took off from Paris at 12.30 p.m. (1030 GMT) with 444 passengers aboard and headed for Singapore, but had to turn round after 2 hours 45 minutes because of the engine problem, airline director Jerry Seah said.

The plane landed safely back in France at 5.45 p.m. (1545 GMT) and the passengers were sent to hotels as the airline tried to lay on an alternative flight for them.

Seah told Reuters he believed it was the first time the plane had suffered such a problem since it had started operating the Singapore-Paris route earlier this year.

The giant jet, built by Airbus (EAD.PA), is designed to continue flying with only three engines, but came back to Paris as a safety precaution.
    The engines on the Singapore A380s are built by Britain's Rolls Royce Group (RR.L). (Reporting by Jean Baptiste Vey, writing by Crispian Balmer; editing by Elizabeth Fullerton)

If they were going from Paris to Singapore, 2 hrs 45 mins seems hardly "mid-flight".

Comment

Maybe the pilots have a bad feeling that one of the other three remaining will break?

Comment

If I remember correctly wasn't that long ago that BA 747 flew 11 hours from Cali to London on only 3 engines?

Comment

Originally posted by VViscount View Post
          If I remember correctly wasn't that long ago that BA 747 flew 11 hours from Cali to London on only 3 engines?
          Yeah, that happened, but they diverted to MAN then.
          According to Boeing it is no problem to continue on 3 engines. I read the report from Boeing about it and they said it is safe to continue.
          Of course it is always better to have all 4 engines, but I am flying through the air all the time with 3 engines (MD11F) and it is no problem

wilco737

Comment

It is safe to continue but you neither make the altitude nor the speed, and finally end up with substantially shorter range. For the passengers it is much more acceptable to go back to their departure airport than making a premature landing somewhere between Europe and Singapoor (there are not so many pleasant Visa-free countries on the track).

Comment

Originally posted by Schorsch View Post
              It is safe to continue but you neither make the altitude nor the speed, and finally end up with substantially shorter range. For the passengers it is much more acceptable to go back to their departure airport than making a premature landing somewhere between Europe and Singapoor (there are not so many pleasant Visa-free countries on the track).
              I think they were less than 3 hours in the air, so continuing all the way to SIN would be a long flight on 3 engines. Returning back to origin is always pretty easy, you'll get full support from ground staff, the mechanics are certified to work on your plane etc etc. Less stressful

wilco737

Comment

Well certainly Air France's experience recently after diverting into Bucharest would make anyone want to go back to Paris!

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
                  Well certainly Air France's experience recently after diverting into Bucharest would make anyone want to go back to Paris!
                  Oh yeah that was a mess...

wilco737

Comment

Working...
                  X