Plane crash at Shoreham, UK airshow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plane crash at Shoreham, UK airshow.

Seven people die after a Hawker Hunter jet crashes into several vehicles on the A27 during Shoreham Airshow.

Reported as Hawker Hunter G-BXFI (WV372) Failed to pull out properly from a loop and crashed into cars on the main A27 road alongside the airfield. Casualty numbers are not known at this time although the pilot was reportedly pulled from the wreck.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Saw some bone chilling movie clips of this crash.... Horrible...
    “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Comment

You know. I have visited some UK airshows and what strikes me is that there seems to be no limit in height for displays. Looking at this Hunter he was just to low. ....

tragic.
      “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Comment

Ambulance service have reported 7 fatalities, 1 serious injured and 14 minor injuries. Presumably all from cars on the road. It looked like it was heavy queuing, so stationary cars, but whether that is likely to have made the numbers higher or lower I don't know.

Comment

Further news states 7 dead, one critical to hospital along with one minor injuries and fourteen being treated on scene. There was an initial report that the pilot had been dragged from the wreck but having seen video of the incident I would doubt that he survived.
          Thoughts are with the families of the deceased and the rescue workers at the scene, some of whom I would have worked with before retirement.
          Last edited by brianw999; 2015-08-22, 17:34.

Comment

As usual, YouTube has several videos of this incident but they show the moment of impact. I would ask that, out of respect to those who lost their lives today, no one posts any links to these videos. ITV News have cut the impact scenes from their reportage and any links posted here will be removed.

Comment

Originally posted by ErwinS View Post
              You know. I have visited some UK airshows and what strikes me is that there seems to be no limit in height for displays. Looking at this Hunter he was just to low. ....

tragic.
              I sadly have to agree Erwin. He was very low when he entered the loop.

Edit : interestingly the news doesn't report on the status of the pilot. Possible ejection maybe.
              Last edited by brianw999; 2015-08-22, 17:36.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                There was an initial report that the pilot had been dragged from the wreck but having seen video of the incident I would doubt that he survived.
                Did see a photo on twitter feed for a local news site (which I'm not going to post here) seemingly taken from the road very close to the impact which maybe shows a last second ejection - canopy open and something in the air. Fingers crossed.
                Thoughts are with the families of the deceased and the rescue workers at the scene, some of whom I would have worked with before retirement.
                Ditto. RIP.

Comment

Apparently it hit several cars at the highway.
                  A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

From the videos, I couldn't see any obvious ejection.

Sadly, this is going to be a case of pilot error.

Comment

Just on the news tonight. The pilot survived and is critically injured in hospital.

Comment

Awful.

Been driven on that road many times en route to visiting a friend in Shoreham.

Police say there is the possibility that more bodies may be found

Comment

Let me make this quite clear. Any links to videos of the moment of impact and therefore the deaths caused will be deleted and a request made for the member concerned to be banned.

Brian whitelegg,
                          jp admin.

Comment

There's an excellent POV video from very close on the link below.

It shows how low he was and close to being level but lost it at the end.

It's the BBC so moment of impact has been edited out.

The death toll from the Shoreham air crash where a vintage jet plummeted into traffic is thought to have risen to 11, police say.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                              Just on the news tonight. The pilot survived and is critically injured in hospital.
                              I guess he ejected from the airplane
                              I have seen several videos and I don't see him ejecting, maybe the cloud of smoke and debris is hiding this.
                              A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

Working...
                              X