BA777 Fire KLAS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by B757300 View Post
    Given how long the GE90 has been in service, one would think that any major flaws would have cropped up already.
    Sure, but you can never get rid of outliers completely. These happen, with a very low frequency, even in the most stable and reliable processes.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by B757300 View Post
      ATC audio already online.

Audio provided by LiveATC: http://www.liveatc.net/

Pilot stayed pretty dang calm; not sure I would have.
      Wow, looks like a drill. 100% professional from all the parties involved.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Now available in AvHerald:
        Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

Readers are reporting that BA confirmed that it was a catastrophic engine failure.

The only release I found in BA.com was this:

Serious Incident involving BA
        Answer Id 5350 | Updated 09/09/2015 08.02 AM (UK time)

Summary

The safety of our customers and crew is always our priority, and we are looking after those who were on board the BA2276 from Las Vegas to London Gatwick following an incident on Tuesday September 8, 2015.

More information

The aircraft, a 777-200 experienced a technical issue as it was preparing for take-off from McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas.

Our crew evacuated the aircraft safely and the fire was quickly extinguished by the emergency services at the airport.

157 customers were on board the flight, along with three pilots and 10 cabin crew.

A small number of customers and our crew have been taken to hospital.

All customers have been provided with hotel accommodation, and our colleagues are helping them with anything further they require.

We will provide any further updates on ba.com.

Friends or family with any concerns can call

From the US 1 800 654 3246

From the UK 0800 389 4191

As a small Br.E language comment: I don't like the choice of words in this sentence.

Our crew evacuated the aircraft safely and the fire was quickly extinguished by the emergency services at the airport.

Doesn't it sound like the crew fled from the plane?

e•vac•u•ate
        v.i.
        to leave a place because of military or other threats.

I know it also has the other meaning too, the (v.t.) one, which means make others evacuate (v.i.).

But that ambiguity is precisely what I don't like.

Comment

Standard airline practise as far as I am aware is to announce "CABIN CREW.....EVACUATE....EVACUATE....EVACUATE" (may or may not include defining which doors to use) meaning cabin crew are to assist the passengers to get out. At least, that's how us Brits do it, nice and calm, no histrionics. There's always one or two who screw it up though by grabbing their carry ons. Probably Johnny Foreigners, Brits do as they're told don't you know old chap ?

Evacuate = to leave a place, assist in helping others to leave a place, cause a place to be emptied of (whatever it contains)

AKA ...... F**k off quickly !! (The exciteable version).

Or.

"I say old chap, would you mind terribly if I asked you to leave the aeroplane" ?

Nothing ambiguous about it.

Joking aside, damn good job by the crew.
          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

and then you have such idiots...

Comment

GE90-85B uncontained failure.

Based on the ATC recording, they couldn't have been more than about 30 secs into the takeoff roll when they aborted so I assume they were below V1. It's a lucky thing it happened before then.

The mayday/fire services call comes about 20 secs after the abort call. The evac call came about 30 secs after the mayday call. The fire seems to have started after they fully stopped. The video appears to begin about 30 secs after the fire began and the first door opens about 25 secs into the video, so approx one minute after the fire began.

EDIT: BBC reporting 89 mph so they were just under the 80kt call.

Comment

A closer look

The damage

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                  GE90-85B uncontained failure.

Based on the ATC recording, they couldn't have been more than about 30 secs into the takeoff roll when they aborted so I assume they were below V1. It's a lucky thing it happened before then.
                  Actually... that may not be the case!

It's possible that if the a/c continued its takeoff, the wind would have blown out the fire or it may not have started at all. Of course a takeoff with one engine failed has its own dangers, but I think it's at least possible the outcome could have been better.

I am absolutely *not* saying the pilots did the wrong thing... just hypothesizing!
                  Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

G-VIIO

Hope she gets to make more of these:
                    Descending through a thin layer of stratus cloud at 2000'.. G-VIIO. Boeing 777-236(ER). JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Comment

Yeah doesn't look like this bird is going to fly again. And whoever was seated in those window rows near the wing root is probably pretty lucky that whatever hit the fuselage there did not kill them!

Comment

Originally posted by Observer View Post
                        The damage
                        Everyone is assuming this was a fuel fire (due to the dense smoke). I wonder if it was from burning composites and not fuel. Pax reported a 'burning rubber' smell which doesn't really describe kerosene. Question I have it is: can composites be ignited by hot engine shrapnel or small fires resulting from what they might strike within the fuselage? And would they produce this kind of smoke? The wing fairing and underwing composite structures look completely burned away.

Comment

The burning rubber smell could be burning cargo?

I'd *hope* the composites are engineered with flame-retardant properties. However some materials that are intrinsically flame-retardant burn a whole lot better when sprayed with kerosene...
                          Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Originally posted by Alex - Spot-This ! View Post
                            and then you have such idiots...

Pure ass-hat parlour speculation from a keyboard (as opposed to being inside a burning plane).

1) I'm sure that lines form as lots of rows of seats line up for a lesser number of exits.

2) The captain and FA's are talking on the PA telling folks to remain calm as they exit the plane.

3) So, you're standing there waiting and have an extra 15 (30?) seconds...Hey, grab your bag with your PC full of company secrets, and perhaps your important medications that you made a point to NOT put under the plane, and your credit cards and money and lord knows what else that is valuable...

Maybe they're not "such idiots" as is so easy to label them here from keyboards in calm, smoke-free rooms and not surrounded by lots of folks in cramped seats.

PLUS who says they are thinking clearly either...they say the mind kind of tunnel visions and then you tend do what you always do.
                            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post
                              The burning rubber smell could be burning cargo?

I'd *hope* the composites are engineered with flame-retardant properties. However some materials that are intrinsically flame-retardant burn a whole lot better when sprayed with kerosene...
                              Indeed. Sturdy, non-combustable, aluminium-based aircraft don't fare all that great in fires either.

Search out any number of very similar accidents- engine failure & fire on takeoff, and burned-through fuselages and body counts , even though it was on-airport with fire response right there.
                              Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                                3) So, you're standing there waiting and have an extra 15 (30?) seconds...Hey, grab your bag with your PC full of company secrets, and perhaps your important medications that you made a point to NOT put under the plane, and your credit cards and money and lord knows what else that is valuable...
                                I tend to concur. I'm not going to go for my rollbag but my 'personal item' bag with my computer and vitals is coming with me if it doesn't slow me down or pose a hazard to the chutes.

I see people with rollbags there. That is simply wrongheaded.

Comment

Working...
                                X