• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Journalism Thread 456,432,521

Terrifying! Part of This Southwest Airlines Wing Fell Off Mid-Flight

Yahoo Travel Editors
    December 14, 2015

A picture of the bent wing. (Photo: Lorenzo Hernandez Jr./Facebook)

On the list of scariest things that can happen on a plane, seeing a piece of the wing fall off has to rank near the top. That’s exactly what happened on a Southwest Airlines flight over Texas on Sunday, but fortunately, the plane made an emergency landing with no one harmed.
    Flight from 987 from Austin to Harlingen was carrying 109 people when, as passenger Lorenzo Hernandez Jr. posted on Facebook, “on the left side of the plane, fasteners came or broke off the wing. I heard a few people to the side of me scream to the aircrew, a piece broke and flew off and a panel was hanging.”
    Related: What Really Happened When this Plane Nosedived 20,000 Feet for an Emergency Landing?

This photo shows a piece of the wing missing. (Photo: Lorenzo Hernandez Jr./Facebook)

Hernandez posted photos of the faulty wing on Facebook. He said when it happened he felt “the worst turbulence ever,” and that passengers were praying, but “I am glad to say the great staff and pilots kept calm and stabilized the plane after a few minutes.”
    The plane touched down in San Antonio without incident. A Southwest spokesperson told the Daily Mail the issue was “a flap track canoe fairing appearing to be at an irregular angle.” Southwest said they would take the flight out of service for further inspection.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
    A Southwest spokesperson told the Daily Mail the issue was “a flap track canoe fairing appearing to be at an irregular angle.”
    Naah, ya think so?

Can we get a guy out here with a ladder and a vise grips?

Kudos to the pilots for "remaining calm" while another Southwest 737 slowly decomposes.

Comment

By the way...the link in the quote about the nosedive is another over statement...7000 fpm achieved... Indeed impressive but then again, power back and use the spoilers...I think that's not too far off to the edge of whatever envelope.
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by some overzealous media person
        On the list of scariest things that can happen on a plane, imagining you've seen a piece of the wing fall off has to rank near the top.
        Corrected.

In other news, that same Southwest spokesman referred to flight 1248 as "a flight that appeared to stop somewhere other than the designated gate".
        Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

By the way, is the top photo suitable for uploading to JetPhotos.com?

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
            By the way, is the top photo suitable for uploading to JetPhotos.com?
            Probably not. It's certainly not suitable quality for www.jetphotos.NET.
            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Hmmm.... a flap track fairing came loose. Kind of the equivalent of a piece of trim falling off of your car. While not normal, and having the thing come off the airplane might be a problem should it hit something on the airplane or on the ground, it's really not that big of a deal. In fact, the Configuration Deviation List says you can fly without it.
              The "keep my tail out of trouble" disclaimer: Though I work in the airline industry, anything I post on here is my own speculation or opinion. Nothing I post is to be construed as "official" information from any air carrier or any other entity.

Comment

Working...
              X