Serious "oops"...RAF A330MRT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious "oops"...RAF A330MRT

Really man? That's where you put your DSLR down? lol...

The captain was alone on the flight deck as the co-pilot took a break. During this time, the captain took 28 photos of the flight deck using his personal digital SLR camera before placing the camera between the captain’s seat armrest and the left-hand side-stick controller.One minute before the incident, the captain began moving his seat forward, creating a slight physical jam between the armrest and the side-stick, which had the camera wedged between them.
    “At the onset of the event, the captain’s seat was moved forward again, forcing the side-stick fully forward and initiating the pitch-down command,” the report says.

Well I guess that's one flight that didn't go exactly as they pictured it would...
    Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

It was a good "Snap Roll" though !
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

How do such careless people ever get 'exposed' to the cockpit?

Comment

I blame the side stick control. Not like this wasn't kind of predictable to happen some day.
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

I think the pilot just lost his focus.

Eric Law

Comment

“Frankly, without the excellent technology of the Airbus A330 flight control laws, the outcome could have been very different,” he said. “The culture and behaviors with regard to taking nonessential loose articles onto the flight deck is a major concern and needs to change.”

Comment

I hear other pilots shutter at the thought of flying with him.

Surely we can't be out of puns yet?

Comment

I imagine his superiors will sit him down and have a frank discussion to ensure he understands the big picture...

Eric Law

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                    “Frankly, without the excellent technology of the Airbus A330 flight control laws, the outcome could have been very different,” he said.
                    Frankly, without sidesticks the outcome could have been very different!

Although I'm pretty sure I've seen accidents / incidents attributed to jammed control yokes too?

Eric Law

Comment

It takes a RAW nerve to do what he did. He must have known that he would wind up in Manual Mode sooner or later.
                      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post
                        Frankly, without sidesticks the outcome could have been very different!
                        Well, get into this mess (pilot slumped over the yoke, pilot hits the rudder trim switch instead of the door switch etc.etc.) on a Boeing and the plane is not going to save you at max 15° nose down.

FYI, holding the priority button down instantly eliminates the dual input issue in this situation (deativates the opposite, jammed stick). Pressing and releasing it doesn't. How many Airbus pilots know this?

I think this is a situation that might tend to close down your aperture....

Comment

...composure is a big part of this, I'm sure.
                          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Working...
                          X