Question about Las Vegas air traffic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Las Vegas air traffic

Recently moved to Vegas at the north end of the strip, at Paradise and Sahara streets in a south facing tower that looks toward Mc Carran Airport. I've noticed that planes departing from the north pointing runways and are heading to the west coast make an immediate sharp left with a climb out initially around 400-500 fpm crossing over the Las Vegas strip according to plates I've looked at.

At the same time, there is frequent tourist helicopter traffic the seems to follow Paradise boulevard north towards the Stratosphere at about 500 feet judging by the distance from condo tower tops.

To my eye, it seems that these departures taking off to the north with immediate left turn and helocopter traffic share airspace around 500 feet just to the northwest of the airport. Is this true? I have a hard time believing controllers would want to handle the integration when tourist craft sometimes are coming by every couple of minutes.

Airplanes tend to get 500 feet high before turning...there might be very little "conflict"
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by LAObserver View Post

To my eye, it seems that these departures taking off to the north with immediate left turn and helocopter traffic share airspace around 500 feet just to the northwest of the airport. Is this true? I have a hard time believing controllers would want to handle the integration when tourist craft sometimes are coming by every couple of minutes.
      The controllers handle it rather well, in fact there is a separate tower frequency for helos. And it's not like departing airplanes spend more than a few seconds at 500'.

Comment

Working...
      X