Something fun for a change.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something fun for a change.

43 Grupo - Campaña 2012 by Ramos Music: Gone Away - The Offspring (c) Video no oficial del 43 Grupo. Este video no muestra postura oficial alguna del…

Originally posted by BoeingBobby
    ...Something fun...
    My first thought *was* "Dear God, what an UGLY airplane.

My second thought *is* Indeed, fun!

Nicely done video!

I am sure there is much use of autopilots and RNAV for all of this.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
      My first thought *was* "Dear God, what an UGLY airplane.
      Perhaps they're using the same lift-increasing trick helicopters use, where the aircraft is so ugly the earth repels it?

My second thought *is* Indeed, fun!
      Concur.

I am sure there is much use of autopilots and RNAV for all of this.
      And stabilized approaches... always.

But just wait until Evan becomes aware that those bodies of water don't have ILSs and declares them unsafe.
      Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post

But just wait until Evan becomes aware that those bodies of water don't have ILSs and declares them unsafe.
        Actually, it's this that worries me:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 2.16.46 AM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	1015530

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7364[/ATTACH]
          ROTFL. Hey, they had half their margin left!

Comment

Originally posted by Schwartz View Post
            Define "margin" in this context.
            For me, the margin is over when the stall warning starts, since at that point a recovery is required.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
            --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7364[/ATTACH]
              What I find amusing is that indicator is divided into 5 different zones!

Let's speculate as to what they're called:
              • Fine
              • Not fine
              • Really not fine
              • No, seriously, I'm not kidding, this is not okay
              • You're dead

Eric Law

Comment

Originally posted by Schwartz View Post
                Watch the video and see the rate that needle is moving toward "brick". That completely accurate and dependable needle...

No doubt these are ace pilots. I'm sure they could 401 it too, no problem. Besides, life is short anyway and $40M is a small price to pay for a rare moment of pure exhilaration.

Comment

Watch the video and see the rate that needle is moving toward "brick". That completely accurate and dependable needle...
                  ...your next sentence is indeed good.

And, know what, I bet a beer that they aren't paying much attention to your (and Gabriels ) needle. (Head exploding yet?)

Instead, I bet they are focused on the view out the window, their rear ends, the airspeed indicator and their significant experience and maybe...just maybe...mentally listening for a stall warning...Ok, fine, I'll give you and Gabe a concession that maybe they might give the AOA indicator a quick glance...

But, at the end of the day, it's called airmanship.
                  Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post
                    What I find amusing is that indicator is divided into 5 different zones!

Let's speculate as to what they're called:
                    • Fine
                    ===> Low AoA - This is ok and normal operation
                    • Not fine
                    ===> Desired Slow Flight AoA (best climb, approach...) - This is ok and normal operation
                    • Really not fine
                    ===> Too slow flight AoA: You should not be flying in this zone, however, although this is not normal operation, you are still ok and you can operate here (for example, if you are in a windshear escape maneuver, you can stay in this zone, or during the flare or initial lift-off you can be temporarily here while you bleed speed for touchdown or build speed to climb speed)
                    • No, seriously, I'm not kidding, this is not okay
                    ===> Stall warning. You are not authorized to fly in this regime. You are outside the approved envelope and are required to take corrective action.
                    • You're dead ===> You are stalled.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                      Define "margin" in this context.
                      For me, the margin is over when the stall warning starts, since at that point a recovery is required.
                      Recovery is not required until you are almost going to hit the ground...(+ a little safety buffer, of course)

Comment

FAO: Boeing Bobby

The man posts a beautiful YouTube...

...and what do the parlour-talking ass-hats do?

We ruin the thread.

Comment

The man posts a beautiful YouTube...

...and what do the parlour-talking ass-hats do?

We ruin the thread.
                          Well, it serves him right for posting it in the parlour-talking aviation safety forum.

But we tend to overreact. I mean, you've got REALLY GOOD pilots there, instinctive airmanship, with a REALLY GOOD airplane. Throw in an audience, let them show off a bit, what could go wrong.......?

Click image for larger version

Name:	C-17-Crash-Elmendorf.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	1015531

Comment

REALLY GOOD pilots don't try to make their airplanes do things they're incapable of.

Eric Law

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                              ...instinctive...
                              No, although that fits your home base that it's just a bunch of reckless abandon.

Instead, it's more about finely honed skill combined with good situational awareness.

Originally posted by elaw
                              REALLY GOOD pilots don't try to make their airplanes do things they're incapable of.
                              Indeed!, Concur!, and Exactly!

Skills and situational awareness, including limitations.

Footnote: Instinct is: "We're STILL falling, so I should pull up MORE"

Comment

Working...
                              X