No announcement yet.

Peruvian Airlines Flight 2036 (737-300) Skids Off The Runway at Jauja Airport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peruvian Airlines Flight 2036 (737-300) Skids Off The Runway at Jauja Airport

A Boeing 737-300 jet with 141 passengers on board has burst into flames after veering off the runway in Peru.

The Peruvian Airlines jet caught on fire upon landing at the Francisco Carle Airport in Jauju, about 4.30pm Tuesday, local time.

The airline said in a statement that all passengers have evacuated safely.

It said the aircraft, registration number OB-2036, turned on the right side after landing, skidding off the runway.

A few videos posted to Twitter.

Failure of the right main shimmy damper?
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
      It doesn't follow the pattern. All gear collapsed, pax report hard landing and 2 impacts, extensive fire...

This other one on the other hand...
      Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

Taban B734 at Ardabil on Mar 27th 2017, right main gear collapse on landing

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

I stand corrected.

On Mar 30th 2017 a passenger video (below) was released showing a normal touchdown and about 1 second of normal rollout followed by severe vibrations, then the collapse of the right main gear as initial events, the recording stops before the aircraft comes to a stop. (Editorial note: A similiar sequence of events was reported by South Africa's Civil Aviation Authority in their final report of Accident: Comair B734 at Johannesburg on Oct 26th 2015, left main gear collapse on landing).
        Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

(Video in there)

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Yeah, this one was a real greaser...

Comment

Originally posted by 3BS
            Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
            It doesn't follow the pattern. All gear collapsed, pax report hard landing and 2 impacts, extensive fire...
            Originally posted by Gabriel, later
            I stand corrected.
            I almost replied that passenger reports (and media reporting thereof) might get the sequence of events slightly out of order...Failure, runway departure, THEN the impacts you describe, further gear destruction and fire (or some other partial permutation).

That being said, I think I shall declare myself a smartass. Disorganized ass, lucky ass, but yeah...not_a_total_idiot_ass.

Evan- easy on the black and white thinking, pal...because Gabe posts an article where the ironing is that a gentle landing can increase the chance of a shimmy damper failure, it does not mean that hard landings are immune from shimmy damper failure.

As the #1 expert on this board regarding 737 right main shimmy damper failures, I would remind you that my experience came on a very windy day and firmer-than-normal touchdown.
            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

As the #1 expert on this board regarding 737 right main shimmy damper failures, I would remind you that my experience came on a very windy day and firmer-than-normal touchdown.
              I grant you that and defer to your experience.

Comment

There is a 2nd video of the landing in the AvHerald link. This time from the right side and it lasts the whole landing roll. Hard to judge how "firm" the landing was, but at least it does not seem anything out of the ordinary.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                  There is a 2nd video of the landing in the AvHerald link. This time from the right side and it lasts the whole landing roll. Hard to judge how "firm" the landing was, but at least it does not seem anything out of the ordinary.
                  Yeah...this makes me worry that my deal was bit closer to near death...at least for some luggage and carry ons.

Comment

Working...
                  X