Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The United debarcle

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by 3WE View Post
    Deplaned Dr. has reached a settlement.

    Not surprised, but still disappointed...I am thinking there might have been some really good fodder come out of a trial.
    I admit I'm a little surprised it happened this quickly. Not even a month...

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Evan View Post
      What does that have to do with anything? United has now announced that they will not bump pax to accomodate deadheading flight crew within one hour of flight time. Aside from that, tough titties.
      well if you know how the bumping algorithm goes you wouldn't ask. but i'm feeling magnanimous today so here ya go...

      first to get bumped is usually last to buy. next goes by ticket price. last to go if ever, are elites no matter when they bought or price paid.

      so being that we bought nine months early and my buddy was the only one to get bumped (temporarily) it is HIGHLY unlikely it was because they followed the usual algorithm, since it is HIGHLY unlikely that very many people bought tickets before we did.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
        well if you know how the bumping algorithm goes you wouldn't ask. but i'm feeling magnanimous today so here ya go...

        first to get bumped is usually last to buy. next goes by ticket price. last to go if ever, are elites no matter when they bought or price paid.

        so being that we bought nine months early and my buddy was the only one to get bumped (temporarily) it is HIGHLY unlikely it was because they followed the usual algorithm, since it is HIGHLY unlikely that very many people bought tickets before we did.
        I could be wrong but I think Evan was being sarcastic-factual...' What makes you think a 9 month advanced purchase should count for anything... and don't try to bring logic into the discussion. Nine months counts for nothing at an airline.'

        If I read him right, if the crew books 8 months, 29 days, 22 hours and 59 minutes later, they're in, and you might be out.
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

        Comment


        • Internet is REAL slow today...(but hey, I pay them good $ every month)

          Look up the number on the internet, get told it's the wrong number, type lots of stuff into the phone, reset the modem, push this button, and FINALLY get an agent...

          ..."our diagnostic system is being upgraded, I can't help you AND you'll have to call back"

          Wow...so, "we can't even log your complaint and investigate it?" (No that will cost $), I am the one who has to call back?....

          By the way, how about the huge scam called Windows and Office 365, that I (and who knows how many millions of colleagues) have to spend hours upon hours with repairs and upgrades to vulnerabilities)....

          Bring on Communism! (Don't really mean that, but it is kind of sad, if not downright sick how "we" operate these days...my industry probably is not immune either, nor Tee Vee's (Sorry man)).
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
            It is HIGHLY unlikely it was because they followed the usual algorithm, since it is HIGHLY unlikely that very many people bought tickets before we did.
            It is HIGHLY likely, then, that said algorithm is a myth...

            Comment


            • In some ways this is not relevant. In others, it's highly relevant:

              https://www.yahoo.com/news/delta-air...034317788.html

              Analysis:

              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhUkGIsKvn0
              Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

              Comment


              • Had a nice lunch with TeeVee yesterday. Gave him a tour of the Atlas training center and a peak into the simulators. LH-B744, I will let him tell you about it.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
                  Had a nice lunch with TeeVee yesterday. Gave him a tour of the Atlas training center and a peak into the simulators. LH-B744, I will let him tell you about it.
                  Did he sue you?

                  --- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                  --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                    Did he sue you?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                      Did he sue you?
                      No, but is someone else going to sue someone else?

                      Today's incident: http://www.stltoday.com/business/loc...1a5ead840.html

                      Notably absent from the news report is whether they properly 'switched the tickets'.

                      Also, I am not sure if Delta makes any relevant comments (although, not sure I'm going to flame them when they may not have all the details yet).

                      Sadly, I have heard it suggested that people now deliberately pull stunts to try and get some sort of pay out...Some of the comments in the article are a bit too perfectly wrong, if you know what I mean.

                      Edit: Read the article a SECOND time...there are indications that there was no name change on the ticket...Conversely, this is another first class, gray-area-nuance...and some more unanswered questions...

                      Did they check in the baby, or just assume that the seat would remain vacant? Albeit technically illegal, I'm not sure what would have stopped him from checking in for the son that went on, and pretending that the infant was the older son. (I guess age and sex is part of your travel records, but all you'd have to do is produce a boarding pass at the gate for the kiddo...who'd check?

                      OR did HAL somehow track the elder brother and cancel the seat that the dude THOUGHT he had?

                      Also, I suppose the dude could have done the right thing and formally transferred everything- although, I am very confident that the greedy, passenger-wallet-raping airline would force 1) A big change fee for big brother, and 2) for Junior to buy a full-priced, last minute mega fare.

                      Given that they did board the plane...I'd like to know who 'noticed' and 'noticed what'...If they did fail to check in 'big brother', did someone else get juniors seat as the computer showed it unoccupied?

                      I dunno...I guess my bottom line is the typical heavily one-sided 'contract of carriage'. You give us money. We give you a largely revocable offer of transportation with near zero penalties for us for non-performance. If you need to change anything...make our agents make a few keystrokes to tweak the database...even if it's well in advance...GET OUT THE CHARGE CARD!
                      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                        Sadly, I have heard it suggested that people now deliberately pull stunts to try and get some sort of pay out...Some of the comments in the article are a bit too perfectly wrong, if you know what I mean.
                        Ya think?

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
                          Ya think?
                          Yeah, but ya think you might be able to figure out why the media and the general public aren't overly concerned about it the terrible injustice the airlines are facing with this?
                          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                            Did he sue you?
                            i couldn't sue him. he bought me lunch! instead, we spent most of the time talking about how we could manage to get 3WE on a flight we were both on and zip tie him to his seat while we filmed the whole thing. if we ever figure it out, we'll be sure to post the video here first!

                            and just so all doubt is removed, he's the real deal 74 pilot, faa license and all.

                            Comment


                            • as for 3we's post, some tsa agent should be fired or the parents should be charged criminally. how did the baby get past the checkpoint without someone lying about his name or the tsa not checking? not that i'm overly concerned about infants committing heinous acts of terror, but for an agency that pesters the shit out all the wrong people on a daily basis, they should be held accountable.

                              there's also more to the story that is not in the article. how did delta figure out the baby wasn't the teen?

                              though the attitude of delta's folks may have been shitty, i gotta side with delta in this matter, if only because of the non-changeable BS. that is just one more way airlines have created to eff us all out our money. not counting last minute changes which may have security implications, but if i buy gabriel a ticket today for a flight 2 weeks from now, and next sunday call up to change it to evan, WTF is the difference to delta, or aa or any of those bastards??? it costs them ZERO. no list goes to the government a week before the flight. it simply serves as a way for them to screw the public out of more money....cuz otherwise, their business model fails.

                              bring back regulation!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                                as for 3we's post, some tsa agent should be fired or the parents should be charged criminally. how did the baby get past the checkpoint without someone lying about his name or the tsa not checking? not that i'm overly concerned about infants committing heinous acts of terror, but for an agency that pesters the shit out all the wrong people on a daily basis, they should be held accountable.

                                there's also more to the story that is not in the article. how did delta figure out the baby wasn't the teen?

                                though the attitude of delta's folks may have been shitty, i gotta side with delta in this matter, if only because of the non-changeable BS. that is just one more way airlines have created to eff us all out our money. not counting last minute changes which may have security implications, but if i buy gabriel a ticket today for a flight 2 weeks from now, and next sunday call up to change it to evan, WTF is the difference to delta, or aa or any of those bastards??? it costs them ZERO. no list goes to the government a week before the flight. it simply serves as a way for them to screw the public out of more money....cuz otherwise, their business model fails.

                                bring back regulation!
                                I am not familiar with TSA procedures for citizens. As a foreigner without a green card, I am always asked for the passport, which I doubt I have the obligation to produce. As far as I know, I need the passport only to enter the USA, not to move inside the USA once I am legally in. But how would a TSA agent check the name of someone, especially a kid that typically don't have a driving licence or a government-issued photo ID?

                                That said, you cannot buy a ticket for one person and have another person flying with it.

                                That said, everything that the agent said is wrong:

                                The FAA doesn't allow 2-year-old children occupy a seat and they need to fly in the lap of their parents. It is rather the opposite: Once the child is 2 years old they are REQUIRED to occupy a seat and highly encouraged to use a child restrain seat. Even children under 2 are neither prohibited from occupying a seat nor required to fly on the lap of their parents. They are allowed to do so, but the FAA and the airlines highly encourage that they occupy a seat (for which you need to pay, of course, as opposed to flying for free on the lap) and use a child restrain seat. So the simple fact that he offered the option (not to mention that he required) that the 2-years-old child flies in the lap was simply illegal and I don't know what are the legal consequences of such an act for the agent or for Delta.

                                Bottom line, the agent should have simply said "I understand you bought this ticket, but you bought it for a person that is not the one occupying the seat and tickets are not transferable. You should have cancelled the ticket for the other person who didn't show and you would have recovered most of the money and you could have bought a ticket for this other child. It's too late to cancel the ticket so that one you lost it due to no show. However I can still sell you a new ticket right now for this cute creature".

                                I still wonder what was the original plan when they bought all these tickets. If the ticket was for the teen, how was this 2-years-old baby supposed to travel?

                                --- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                                --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X