The United debarcle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
    please, quote my theatrical statements or court room antics or whatever other bullshit you have accused me of using in this thread. if you can't, then simply STFU.
    You just read where I quoted them.

I also supplied a video of a rear end collision while parked on a taxiway, per your request.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
      I also supplied a video of a rear end collision while parked on a taxiway, per your request.
      REALLY?!?!?! so, the area where planes push back from the gate is a taxiway? wow! who wouldda thunk it! i guess taxiways and the apron are one and the same.

take your head out the clouds.

Comment

• Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
        this is the last i'm gonna say on this, cuz i'm starting to feel like evan when it comes to talking to you. you seem to want to make an argument when there may not be one, just for the sake of being a PITA or some other such bs.
        An entire MD-11F of pots, meet one kettle.

Comment

• Before I make my post of new material, I greatly enjoyed reviewing this recent discussion and with much irony, on my flight just yesterday, our pilot slowed to a crawl about 70 feet short of the gate because I THINK they were short the marshalling guy...

I heard a couple seat belts click and then the FA says, "Folks, we are still on an active taxiway, keep your seatbelts on."...we never quite stopped and with some very light additional power eased on up to the proper place for the jet bridge.

Anyway- I finally decided to read the bit on the dude punching the back of the seat of the gal in front of him.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/wrong-rec...165211267.html

What I did not realize is that the gal is ALSO implicating the FA, saying the FA sided with the punching dude, gave him a free drink AND told her to delete the video because it is illegal to video aircraft operations.

This reads way too familiar.

Is it AA hostie/hosthe/hostile phenomena that teevee mentions, or the overly-dramatic-gimme-something-to-shut-me-up passenger phenomena?

I guess we'll have to wait for the story to be printed in the National Enquirer.

I also think I need to thank ATL for a backhanded compliment?...or not...
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Anyway- I finally decided to read the bit on the dude punching the back of the seat of the gal in front of him.

If we ever needed thoughtful government regulation, maybe it is now.
            If airlines are going to keep this sub-30-inch pitch, I am all for a no-reclining seat. It will save weight, seat manufacturing cost, maintenance cost, saliva evaporated while saying "put your seat in the upright position" at least 3 times per flight, and conflicts.

As an alternative, make the pivot point higher in the seat back so the one suffering from the discomfort of reclining is the one reclining and not the one in the back.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
            --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post

If airlines are going to keep this sub-30-inch pitch, I am all for a no-reclining seat. It will save weight, seat manufacturing cost, maintenance cost, saliva evaporated while saying "put your seat in the upright position" at least 3 times per flight, and conflicts.
              Yes, we should do that.

Comment

Before I make my post of new material, I greatly enjoyed reviewing this recent discussion and with much irony, on my flight just yesterday, our pilot slowed to a crawl about 70 feet short of the gate because I THINK they were short the marshalling guy...

I heard a couple seat belts click and then the FA says, "Folks, we are still on an active taxiway, keep your seatbelts on."...we never quite stopped and with some very light additional power eased on up to the proper place for the jet bridge.

What I did not realize is that the gal is ALSO implicating the FA, saying the FA sided with the punching dude, gave him a free drink AND told her to delete the video because it is illegal to video aircraft operations.

This reads way too familiar.

Is it AA hostie/hosthe/hostile phenomena that teevee mentions, or the overly-dramatic-gimme-something-to-shut-me-up passenger phenomena?

I guess we'll have to wait for the story to be printed in the National Enquirer.

I also think I need to thank ATL for a backhanded compliment?...or not...
                Keep reclining. Keep flighting each other. Maybe, I don't know, after some further expanse of time, people (that is to say awakened voters in a democratic election) will begin to realize that regulations are actually a good thing, not a diabolical plot to keep America from being Great Again.

In the meantime, the airlines will continue to mix messages, not wanting to offend customers but not wanting to provide them room either, caring only about short-term revenue in a race to the bottom. When we reach that bottom, something will be done.

Years from now, when the airlines are once again regulated, people will not lament the higher prices as much as they will reminisce about how idiotic and played we used to be.

Comment

• I also find it interesting how the media has keyed in on the "twitter reaction" and how it is divided.

She has the right to recline.
                  She should not have reclined.

And yes, MY thought (like many) it's the Airline that is wrong- Lock out the damn recline feature except for the second class seats where there is increased seat pitch.

My personal $0.02 on this is:

1. I seem to regularly be reclined upon and believe that if the seat CAN be reclined then you have the right to recline it.

2. It's not super rare that I get the seat that won't lock upright. Monday of this week, the hostie told me to put my seat up...(Ummm, I didn't put it down, but yeah, I see that it IS back). One flight was tough as any pressure at all caused the seat to lean back. I told the FA, I will lean forward and put it up immediately before landing (and remain in a forward lean until we slow up), but until then, it creeps back with near zero pressure and I will be non complaint the moment you turn your back.

Comment

• I agree the airlines should lock the darn seats. In the absence of that happening, I think it is rude for others to recline. When people recline on my I tend to be a little more subtle and just keep wiggling my knees into their back.

Comment

I also find it interesting how the media has keyed in on the "twitter reaction" and how it is divided.

She has the right to recline.
                      She should not have reclined.
                      Welcome to the US society where rights are mandatory.

These 2 statements are not opposite positions. I can affirm both without shame.

You have the right to recline but you shouldn't.
                      You have the right not to ignore the kid that just fell from his bike next to you but you shouldn't.
                      You have the right to open-carry an AR-15 just outside of the Walmart where 21 were killed in a mass shooting in El Paso but you shouldn't.
                      You have the right to randomly insult and shout to others, but you shouldn't.

On the other and, you have the right to ask the person behind you if it is ok to recline, and if you are the person behind you have the right to ask the person in front to un-recline. Neither did that.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

• One thing that I found kind of funny is how people say that the problem with reclining is that you will have the other person on your lap.
                        That is the least of the problems with me. My problem is that if you recline either I will be crushing the seat back or the seat back will be crushing my knees, Something will have to give when you try to fit in a small space something that is bigger than that space.

Comment

I finally decided to read the bit on the dude punching the back of the seat of the gal in front of him.

I know this is Eagle and the seat pitch is particularly brutal on some of those flights, but I wonder what would happen if an incident like this were to occur in the early stages of a 20-hour non-stop Qantas flight between Sydney and London. We're only a year or so away from that possibility.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post

Welcome to the US society where rights are mandatory.

These 2 statements are not opposite positions. I can affirm both without shame.

You have the right to recline but you shouldn't, Blah Blah, Blah.
                            Disconcur. For a long history reclining was ok. In trains, planes, automobiles- you didn’t ask.

Now you tell me I have to ask?

Who changed the rules, when, where and what?

The airline knows it’s an issue, but they are silent.

Edit 1: Remember the recliner lock thingies...I seem to recall they were essentially banned- I’d say there’s “hidden guidance” in that.

Edit 2: As to what world I live in, I don’t think anyone has ever asked me if it was ok to recline into “my space” nor have I asked if it’s ok for me to recline, nor have I ever read about asking before reclining in the seat pocket literature, not have I ever heard it announced except for takeoff and landing for safety.

Rather absolute, but I HAVE heard about remaining buckled on active taxiways.

What world (Edit 3: planet) do you live in?

Comment

Disconcur. For a long history reclining was ok. In trains, planes, automobiles- you didn’t ask.

Now you tell me I have to ask?

Who changed the rules, when, where and what?
                              In what planet do you live?

The airline knows it’s an issue, but they are silent.
                              Absolutely. An issue they caused, they know they caused, and they fail to address.

Comment

• it is pathetic. but, since the vast majority of pax choose to suffer in silence, we all get bent over. and the whole "vote with your wallet" thing is bullshit, since all the airlines are in lockstep with each other on removing creature comforts. most people think a standing only airplane will never happen. i on the other hand, think it will or something close to it. there is a reason companies have spent money developing standing seats--they believe at some point they will fly. all it will take is a few tests to show the faa that they are equally as safe as a real seat and voila! we are all screwed.

Comment

Working...
                                X