No announcement yet.

The United debarcle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speaking of airline asshole-ness, remember the report i gave you all about the pilot doing marketing announcements during flight? well the douchebags at aa finally responded. here is their response, word for word:

Thank you for your e-mail to Customer Relations at American Airlines.

We are deeply sorry that you were upset by the marketing campaign made by the Captain aboard flight 602 on September 28, 2018.

Our credit card partners offer great benefits like frequent flier miles and special promotions that we want you to know about, but I'm sorry our crew announcements were disruptive to you. I've shared your feedback with our Vice President of Flight and Marketing Department to ensure we continue to learn from the voices of our customers.

Mr. ?, we value your long-standing loyalty and support and are eager to continue the relationship we have enjoyed over the years. Please be assured we are all working hard to provide the high quality service you have every right to expect when traveling on American.

Sincerely,

Donna Rill
    Customer Relations
    American Airlines

So, today, I filed a complaint with the FAA.

let's see what if anything come of it...

Comment

• Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
      We are deeply sorry that you were upset by the marketing campaign made by the Captain aboard flight 602 on September 28, 2018.
      Our credit card partners offer great benefits like frequent flier miles and special promotions that we want you to know about, but I'm sorry our crew announcements were disruptive to you.
      Wow, they really don't get it do they...

Comment

• Bobby....don’t think you got away with that little gem. You are a very naughty boy !

Now, how do I get coffee off of my monitor screen ?
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

So, today, I filed a complaint with the FAA.

let's see what if anything come of it...
          Based on what? What FAR got violated?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
            Actually, the linked article starts: "A United Airlines flight was forced to make an emergency landing in Chicago earlier this month after the pilot told passengers the plane was too large to land at a Tennessee airport."
            This is the media that "WE" are supposed to trust unequivocally and unquestioningly. The only thing accurate in that headline is "Chicago" and "earlier this month". Actually, not even that, ORD is not in Chicago.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
              I was wondering the same...

I suppose that, while it is not a critical phase of flight and sterile cockpit does not apply, you want the pilot (or any worker, but especially a pilot) to be mostly doing something somehow related with the task at hand which is flying a plane, NOT selling a credit card.

I would tend to say that I would not like my pilot for example watching Netflix or playing Minesweeper when he is acting as a required flight crew member, but at the same time I think that these things almost unavoidably happen especially in long flights.

So I don't know.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
              --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                Bobby....don’t think you got away with that little gem. You are a very naughty boy !

Now, how do I get coffee off of my monitor screen ?
                At least someone got it. I loved him in that role, one of my favorite movies of all time. Warm water and a soft cloth!

Comment

Hey Evan...here you go...procedure's vs. broad concepts.

The general comment that the pilot's job is to focus 110% on only only only only only only only flying the plane safely and not_making a sales pitch for a credit card...

Versus it being legally allowed to grab the mic, telling us the temperature at the destination (in Centigrade) and that we will be touching down in X minutes and I'm gonna turn the seatbelt sign back on... (No FAR violated there, right?)
                  Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                    Hey Evan...here you go...procedure's vs. broad concepts.

The general comment that the pilot's job is to focus 110% on only only only only only only only flying the plane safely and not_making a sales pitch for a credit card...

Versus it being legally allowed to grab the mic, telling us the temperature at the destination (in Centigrade) and that we will be touching down in X minutes and I'm gonna turn the seatbelt sign back on... (No FAR violated there, right?)
                    Nothing violated but the pilot's dignity. But it is nice to know they aren't otherwise busy asking what's it doing now.

Comment

i don't know, but i do know that a line was crossed. there are a minimum of 4 FA's on board who do not have anything so important to do, so they can talk all the gibberish they want. sure, it's effin annoying to be literally a captive and unwilling audience, but i prefer not to have a pilot reading off a 4 minute marketing announcement.

let's see what the faa has to say. perhaps this will lead to a new rule prohibiting flight crew from engaging in this activity.

as for pilots speaking in general, i would be quite happy to never hear from them except when necessary to tell people to sit down and buckle up because of weather. and this only because i think idiots that don't listen to FA's saying the same thing, sometimes pay more attention when the pilot makes the announcement.

Comment

This is the media that "WE" are supposed to trust unequivocally and unquestioningly. The only thing accurate in that headline is "Chicago" and "earlier this month". Actually, not even that, ORD is not in Chicago.
                        you may wanna read up a bit on that. while it is not in chicago "proper," the city owns it and the area around it is represented by city of chicago council persons.

Comment

you may wanna read up a bit on that. while it is not in chicago "proper," the city owns it and the area around it is represented by city of chicago council persons.
                          I don't need to, counselor, I was based there for nearly a year, but thanks for you input. Just to clarify, though, you're saying Rosemont, Des Plaines, Schiller Park et al are represented by Chicago aldermen?

Comment

i don't know, but i do know that a line was crossed.
                            A rather unequivocal statement, especially from someone who is not a subject matter expert, don't you think, counselor?

I get the sense your ire has nothing to do with this particular pilot or this particular PA. Seems to me you're just miffed that the entire AA above-wing staff at MIA don't bow all the way to the ground every time a customer of your caliber crosses the airport boundary.

Comment

...because i think idiots that don't listen to FA's saying the same thing, sometimes pay more attention when the pilot makes the announcement.
                              The credit card companies probably share this observation.

Next year:

"Ladies and gentlemen, the captain has turned on the sign up for credit card sign."

Comment

***Seems to me you're just miffed that the entire AA above-wing staff at MIA don't bow all the way to the ground every time a customer of your caliber crosses the airport boundary.***
                                Aw come on ATL...you gotta admit that pilots selling credit cards is kind of a new low for the marketing department...and something makes me think that maybe the pilots aren't overly in love with it. (Yes, a pure ass-hat guess).

It's probably sort of required and it sort of isn't what a pilot is supposed to do. I've seen your colleagues (wait, no, it was YOU) infer that the pilots job is NOT to be doing PR stuff.

It does seem like a violation of "the way we think things ought to be".

I'll also offer up what I'll call, "the new silence" as to what the hell is going on with the flight clearance. All too often we park near the runway for 10 minutes without so much as a peep from the little room up front...kind of contrast to "hi, I'm your happy credit card salesperson".
                                Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Working...
                                X