Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flight Report

3BS was going to New Yark from Flyover.

Because of the government shutdown and unpaid TSA workers, I get paranoid and arrive 3 hours ahead of schedule.

I see the 8:30 flight to Newark still at the gate (I am booked on the 10:45 flight).

The gate agent says, "If you are going to Newark at 10:45, but you are here early, come see me".

3BS (with boarding pass): "Are you talking to me madam gate agent?".

Agent: "Its really windy there and ATC is limiting traffic and the 10:45 flight tends to get in to traffic delays anyway...you might get tight on your connection...May I see your baggage tag AND here, let me replace your window seat with a window seat. (Both in the first class (Left row of an ERJ))

So- everyone, please don't let your heads explode, but United did something nice and proactive AND UNSOLICITED for at least one customer recently.

And the pilots even set the flaps before we hit the formal taxiway.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• It's nice when people take the time to post something positive - thank you for that. It's a strange dichotomy to only read negative stories about the airline business (and here you could replace "airline business" with almost anything) while my personal experiences while flying (or just living life in general) are almost always positive, people are generally usually helpful and kind ... It seems in this Brave New World of social media the tendency is toward overt negativity, which is unfortunate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris K View Post
        It's nice when people take the time to post something positive - thank you for that. It's a strange dichotomy to only read negative stories about the airline business (and here you could replace "airline business" with almost anything) while my personal experiences while flying (or just living life in general) are almost always positive, people are generally usually helpful and kind ... It seems in this Brave New World of social media the tendency is toward overt negativity, which is unfortunate.
        1. Yes

2. The tough thing is when corporate policy demotivates employees from positive attitudes... The good people have to deal both with ass hole customers and then some SOB bean counter tells the gate agent to push for change fees or something...

3. But yes, again, there’s people who try and are not appreciated.
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris K View Post
          It seems in this Brave New World of social media the tendency is toward overt negativity, which is unfortunate.
          I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that most people in this Brave New World will adopt a positive attitude towards things that go well and please them, while adopting a negative attitude towards things that go wrong and annoy them.

In either case, they are adopting the completely natural attitude.

The problem in customer service industries is the inconsistency of kindness and wrath. It really shouldn't be such a crapshoot experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
            The problem in customer service industries is the inconsistency of kindness and wrath. It really shouldn't be such a crapshoot experience.
            There aren’t policies, procedures and training?

Comment

• not to be a kill joy, but untied probably was less doing you a favor, than looking out for themselves. apparently a large storm was headed east, and if they could get you and others on an earlier flight, that would equate to several less headaches (and seats) to look for later on.

on another more positive (negative) note, my good friend who used to be a manger for aa @ mia, resigned on friday. he made things so much better, albeit still somewhat shitty, at mia. now, i'm sure it will revert to absolute shyte in a matter of a few months.

so positive for him for leaving the absolute mess that is aa corporate. and crappy for the flying public.

Comment

• Question: do they have seatbelts on the floor of airliners?

If not maybe they should... https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-46858249
                Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

• Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                  not to be a kill joy, but untied probably was less doing you a favor, than looking out for themselves. apparently a large storm was headed east, and if they could get you and others on an earlier flight, that would equate to several less headaches (and seats) to look for later on.

on another more positive (negative) note, my good friend who used to be a manger for aa @ mia, resigned on friday. he made things so much better, albeit still somewhat shitty, at mia. now, i'm sure it will revert to absolute shyte in a matter of a few months.

so positive for him for leaving the absolute mess that is aa corporate. and crappy for the flying public.
                  Who knew one lonely AA manager was keeping the whole enchilada at one of their biggest hubs from going down the toilet. Not sure how many flights are coming and going from MIA every day but it's gotta be a lot. Talk about a one armed wallpaper hanger!

Comment

• Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                    not to be a kill joy, but untied probably was less doing you a favor, than looking out for themselves. apparently a large storm was headed east, and if they could get you and others on an earlier flight, that would equate to several less headaches (and seats) to look for later on.
                    You ARE a kill joy because it’s a quintessential win-win scenario

Hell yeah, it’s headache prevention for them as opposed to a huge favor for me, but conversely it’s also goodwill that cost them one piece of cardboard and might result in a return customer and more profit.

Interestingly I have an exteremely similar incident from 2 years ago on on a similar itinerary. (See the top of page 13 of this very thread.). The check in agent told me to ask on the early flight due to weather, but the gate agent was quite pissy and tried to weasel the change fee out of me. Had I filmed it and posted it, I probably could have gotten her an ass chewing- even though she was probably following procedures.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                      You ARE a kill joy because it’s a quintessential win-win scenario

Hell yeah, it’s headache prevention for them as opposed to a huge favor for me, but conversely it’s also goodwill that cost them one piece of cardboard and might result in a return customer...
                      You should quit while you're ahead.

Comment

• Welcome back my friends to the debarcle that never ends:

Passengers aboard a United Airlines flight from Newark, New Jersey, to Hong Kong were left stuck on the ground for more than 14 hours in frigid weather with a dwindling supply of food.

Now take the quiz!

[ ] A short while

[ ] About 24 hours

after landing, a new aircraft was being prepped to take the lucky survivors

[ ] onward to their destination.

[ ] back to where they started from.

During the unscheduled layover in frigid Goose Bay, the passengers were:

[ ] keep safe and warm within the technologically advanced aircraft.

[ ] allowed to deplane and provided a warm facility to take refuge in.

[ ] were left in a cold metal tube for 14 hours.

The cabin crew:

[ ] harrassed and beat any passenger who had not yet lost consciousness to hypothermia.

[ ] did an excellent job under the circumstances.

Human dignity is

[ ] more important than bureaucratic customs technicalities.

[ ] less important than bureaucratic customs technicalities.

United AIrlines is:

[ ] a fledgling airline that cannot be expected to position replacement aircraft to a North American destination within an eight hour period.

[ ] a raided and stripped down monopolistic investor's wet dream operating on a wing and a prayer.

The Boeing 777 has:

[ ] An APU capable of providing cabin heat on the ground for an extended time period.

[ ] Doesn't.

(Bonus score on that last one because I don't know the answer).

Comment

• I think the "frigidity" refers to the weather outside, not in the airplane.

Comment

Welcome back my friends to the debarcle that never ends:

Passengers aboard a United Airlines flight from Newark, New Jersey, to Hong Kong were left stuck on the ground for more than 14 hours in frigid weather with a dwindling supply of food.

Now take the quiz!

[ ] A short while

[X] About 24 hours

after landing, a new aircraft was being prepped to take the lucky survivors

[ ] onward to their destination.

[X] back to where they started from.

During the unscheduled layover in frigid Goose Bay, the passengers were:

[X] keep safe and warm within the technologically advanced aircraft.

[ ] allowed to deplane and provided a warm facility to take refuge in.

[ ] were left in a cold metal tube for 14 hours.

The cabin crew:

[ ] harrassed and beat any passenger who had not yet lost consciousness to hypothermia.

[X] did an excellent job under the circumstances.

Human dignity is

[ ] more important than bureaucratic customs technicalities.

[ ] less important than bureaucratic customs technicalities.

United AIrlines is:

[ ] a fledgling airline that cannot be expected to position replacement aircraft to a North American destination within an eight hour period.

[ ] a raided and stripped down monopolistic investor's wet dream operating on a wing and a prayer.

The Boeing 777 has:

[X] An APU capable of providing cabin heat on the ground for an extended time period.

[ ] Doesn't.

(Bonus score on that last one because I don't know the answer).
                            I did not answer the ones involving personal opinions.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                            --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                              I think the "frigidity" refers to the weather outside, not in the airplane.
                              That would make more sense. Also, if they were working on the door, that might mean it was kept at least partly open.

Comment

Now take the quiz!.
                                Due to a medical emergency you land at rather remote airport, and then the plane breaks.

General question- you are the emperor of United- what should you do about it?

Hop in the company jet and go sit on the plane with them (an interesting idea).

Was it UAL that would not allow the passengers to deplane? (I THINK it was Canada).

-Do you have a spare 777 handy? (are there any for rent?)

-Do you have a couple of business jets sitting around with a full set of mechanics and wrenches and spare parts?

-Can you dispatch other smaller aircraft to pick up people? Couple of 737/Airbi 320somethings? An handful of RJ's?

-Where is the best place to take people to get them back on the way to China? (Probably back to New Yark?)

-Is this a sad, but perfect storm of two items of bad luck?

-Do we need more regulations to NOT allow marginally healthy folks on aircraft? (this is a troubling trend).

Comment

Working...
                                X