Meals for captain and second pilot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meals for captain and second pilot

Is this known and applied?: The second pilot should not eat the same meal that captain eats (on board and before the flight). Otherwise if the meal is corrupted, perhaps nobody will be able to land. The probability that two different meals are corrupted is significantly less.

This has generally been addressed by assuring that at least one passenger has significant experience flying the particular aircraft in Microsoft Flight Simulator.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

I don't understand you, 3WE. Do you mean, that a passenger who was playing in MS Flight Simulator can land a real aircraft (of the same type)? I doubt (landing is so difficult, that autopilot cannot do this; I think the mentionted passenger could not either). Maybe I have used too short sentence "nobody will be able to land". I meant that neither the captain nor the second pilot will be able to land - and this is a situation we should avoid.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam_23 View Post
        ...a passenger who was playing in MS Flight Simulator can land a real aircraft (of the same type)? I doubt (landing is so difficult, that autopilot cannot do this; I think the mentionted passenger could not either).
        With a little luck, the passenger landing will be firm...reducing the chance of a failure of the right main shimmy damper.
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

3WE, You are cruel! 1 Adam 12, The auto-pilots in the new aircraft CAN and very often land the airplane. And to your original question, yes we TRY and eat different meals, but it does not always happen.

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
            The auto-pilots in the new aircraft CAN and very often land the airplane..
            Define "new aircraft". I know for fact that autoland existed in the early 80's, maybe earlier that that. So it's at least 35 years old.
            (The DC-9 Super 80 came out of the factory with an autoland-capable autopilot as standard equipment)

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
            --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

I don't understand you, 3WE. Do you mean, that a passenger who was playing in MS Flight Simulator can land a real aircraft (of the same type)? I doubt (landing is so difficult, that autopilot cannot do this; I think the mentionted passenger could not either). Maybe I have used too short sentence "nobody will be able to land". I meant that neither the captain nor the second pilot will be able to land - and this is a situation we should avoid.
              My experience is 180 hours in single engine, 2 seat, small general aviation planes, and some hundreds of hours in all kind of types (from the Wright Flyer to the Concorde) in Microsoft Flight Simulator.

For what it's worth, I landed several times a Boeing 737-300 in a full motion level D simulator (that the airline that owned it used to train the pilots that went non-stop from the sim to the left seat in a revenue flight). I did spend like 15 minutes at the beginning of the session trying to figure out how to release the parking brake, though. (there was no instructor or pilot with me)

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                I did spend like 15 minutes at the beginning of the session trying to figure out how to release the parking brake, though. (there was no instructor or pilot with me)
                It's under the seat by the driver's side door. Hard to reach.

Comment

Is this known and applied?
                  Yes.

Comment

Define "new aircraft". I know for fact that autoland existed in the early 80's, maybe earlier that that. So it's at least 35 years old.
                    (The DC-9 Super 80 came out of the factory with an autoland-capable autopilot as standard equipment)
                    Was not going to get that deep into it. (Remember, I flew the 747 100/200/300 so it is not like I don't know that) This is another one like our German friend.

Comment

For what it's worth... if you define "autoland" as being cat IIIc capable, the honor goes to the Hawker-Siddeley Trident which according to Wikipedia made it's first "blind landing" in revenue service in 1965.

On the other hand, setting up any plane for an autolanding, both in terms of navigation and what buttons/switches/levers/menus to set, is not trivial. It's not like there's a big button in the middle of the instrument panel marked "Land me".
                      Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
                        The auto-pilots in the new aircraft CAN and very often land the airplane.
                        Aren't we forgetting something? Flaps, gear, setting up the autopilot? It's not like there's a big yellow LAND button any passenger can just hit.

Maybe there should be...

For now, one of you should avoid the fish.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                          Aren't we forgetting something? Flaps, gear, setting up the autopilot?
                          I understand there's a hell of a lot of acronyms involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                            Aren't we forgetting something? Flaps, gear, setting up the autopilot?
                            Nothing that an average smart person cannot be talked through the radio.
                            Or that a serious simmer with a good type-specific add-on can't handle like a pro (or better)

Comment

Generally and ADEQUATELY addressed!

Comment

Working...
                              X