Clear Air Turbulence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear Air Turbulence

Another bad case of Darwinism or are people still not aware of the danger?

Do we need airlines to be more clear in warning passengers of the phenomena of clear air turbulence. During the pre-flight soliloquy it's hardly mentioned and passengers are routinely allowed to roam the cabin during cruise. I'm pretty sure people still don't know how dangerous that is.

At least 27 passengers were injured when an Aeroflot flight from Moscow to Bangkok hit severe air turbulence on Monday.

Originally posted by Evan View Post
    Another bad case of Darwinism or are people still not aware of the danger?

Do we need airlines to be more clear in warning passengers of the phenomena of clear air turbulence. During the pre-flight soliloquy it's hardly mentioned and passengers are routinely allowed to roam the cabin during cruise. I'm pretty sure people still don't know how dangerous that is.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/01/eu...nce/index.html
    Evan:

Man, this is a tough one. This is a near-ultimate gray-area, never ending circular argument with no solution.

What do you propose...mandatory seatbelt usage for every minute of every flight?

Scientific engineers decided long ago that on-board bathrooms and seat-belt signs were a good and needed idea.

I suppose "we" could reconfigure cabins with a lot more padding and a sliding harness restraint with a track down the aisle. (because there WILL be restroom needs).

But if you want to declare this a REAL risk, then no more of those nasty, heavy drink carts going down the asile, AND you better serve everything in a sippy cup, as opposed to those horridly dangerous open top plastic glasses.

We even allow FA's to roam the aisles with the seatbelt sign on...explain the risk calculations on that one!

At best, we need to let the FA-passenger tensions ease a bit before we have seat-belt Nazis roaming the aisles when the seat belt sign is off, but enforcing 'our policy' that we want you to wear the belt, just-in-case.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

And being seating for 12 hours can cause other health issues (even death), especially when the seat is so tight that you cannot move your legs at all while sitting. Doctors recommend that people get up, walk a bit and do some simple exercises every few hours.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

I'm just talking about awareness. I'm not saying we should get all Nazi about walking about the cabin, but we should make it clear to people that if they do this, there is always the chance that they will be seriously injured, very suddenly and literally out of the blue. The, let people decide for themselves, and I think more of them will be belted in their seats as much as possible.

And yes, absolutely the overheads and ceilings should be padded, but what is the weight penalty for that?

Comment

...we should make it clear to people that if they do this, there is always the chance that they will be seriously injured, very suddenly and literally out of the blue. The, let people decide for themselves...
          Ok...your example was Russian as opposed to what "we" do in First World Aviation.

But:

I do not think I have been on a flight in 10+ years when it was NOT announced that we should wear seatbelts when seated (even if the seatbelt sign is off)...Ok, I concede: they do not say the words, "otherwise you could be seriously injured"- but we do get a story or two a month of someone busted up by unforeseen turbulence.

And, as to whether "I decide what to do for myself"...I believe the official wording is that it is "X airlines POLICY that you SHALL wear your seatbelt when seated in case of unanticipated turbulence"...no real personal choice about it and I suppose Bobby could come by and zip tie me if I didn't have my seatbelt on...

...and if I can be "seriously injured", then 1) Keep the damn drink carts away from me AND the darn FA's out of the aisle (especially when the seatbelt sign is on) as I don't even want an unintentional elbow, knee, or head-butt of a good-looking young opposite sex one in my face...

...a little logic problem there if you are going to 'broadcast' serious injury, but allow all those other things that could just as well injure me even though I'm belted in.
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

I'm just talking about awareness.
            good afternoon ladies and germs, my name is happy john and i'll be your purser on this flight. in a moment, we will be showing our boring, 22 minute long safety video that no one ever watches, but all the lawyers mandate that we play, even if some of you wouldn't understand if you did listen.

before i press play, i just want to point out something that you may not be aware of and that could very well KILL YOU! there is this thing called clear air turbulence. it's impossible to detect and strikes without warning. it very well could KILL YOU if you are not belted in your seats, despite the fact that captain by-the-book turned off the fasten seat belt sign, and despite the fact that captain by-the book has told you that he is expecting a smooth flight all the way to happyland.

clear air turbulence is a BITCH. when it hits, or rather when we hit it, you could be thrown against the ceiling and have your skulled split open like a coconut, or your neck could snap like a twig. your dead/limp body could then fall and crush some poor innocent child, cuz let's face it, you've gone ahead and eaten a few too many twinkies there fella, haven't you?

ok, so now that y'all fully understand this mother of all aviation risks, sit back and enjoy our safety video. oh and thanks again for flying Evan Air Lines, where we always put safety first!

Comment

PROBLEM SOLVED!

This is Awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVxSBRn-88o

Special note: Some pilots attempt to four one oh an aircraft and stall out in the process...possibly because they were operating close to...

...coffin corner!

Comment

Working...
              X