Japanese CRM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese CRM

We think pilots should start doing this to cut down on cowboy improvisation. [/blue font]

Pointing-And-Calling standard is a safety standard used in Japan by railway companies and industry as for example Toyota. For more details visit http://www....

and

Why do Japanese train drivers point at everything?Japanese train drivers must point at all important signs and warnings. This way they show that they have no...

Sarcasm and joking aside, it's an interesting psychological technique, and I have seen variations used in cockpits.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

My instructor and I did much the same when I did my PPL training back in the early 1970’s. Brakes off...touch lever and check, mixture rich.....set and tap control.....etc, etc.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Off topic, trainy update: The latest news is that someone failed to slow down from 80 to 30...and what else does a train driver have to do?...speed up, slow down, blow horn, track mile marker, not abuse brake air, make sure engines don't blow up...but that was too much for we flawed human beings. Maybe we need to be pointing more...
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
        Off topic, trainy update: The latest news is that someone failed to slow down from 80 to 30...and what else does a train driver have to do?...speed up, slow down, blow horn, track mile marker, not abuse brake air, make sure engines don't blow up...but that was too much for we flawed human beings.
        Yes. We humans strugle to manage 1 DOF motion. To manage 6 DOF motion is just beyond human ability. We need self-driving shoes now!!!

(DOF = degrees of freedom: Train = speed. Plane = speed + vertical speed + sideslip + pitch + roll + yaw)

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Off topic, trainy update: The latest news is that someone failed to slow down from 80 to 30...and what else does a train driver have to do?...speed up, slow down, blow horn, track mile marker, not abuse brake air, make sure engines don't blow up...but that was too much for we flawed human beings. Maybe we need to be pointing more...
          A trainy example of the need for AIrbussy envelope protections. Passenger trains should all have this 'positive-train-control' thing installed and activated by now so when the engineer is busy texting some hot babes, the train slows i-t-s-e-l-f down anyway. This one didn't. With what seems to be a growing stooge factor in cockpits and control cabs and White Houses these days, it is becoming really, really necessary for technology to save us from ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
            ***when the engineer is busy texting some hot babes***
            You are absolutely sure of this?

There's at least some likelihood they are reading captivating threads on various Internet Aviation Safety Discussion Fora.

Comment

You are absolutely sure of this?

There's at least some likelihood they are reading captivating threads on various Internet Aviation Safety Discussion Fora.
              Or that.

Comment

I will note that it was the first time they had a passenger train navigating a new high speed route. I would be shocked if it was a texting issue... or maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by Schwartz View Post
                  I will note that it was the first time they had a passenger train navigating a new high speed route. I would be shocked if it was a texting issue... or maybe not.
                  Right on queue:

The lead locomotive’s event data and video recorders were successfully downloaded with the manufacturer’s assistance and processed in the NTSB’s lab in Washington, D.C. An initial review of the final portion of the accident sequence revealed the following information, which is preliminary and subject to change as the investigation continues:

* Inward-facing video with audio captured the crew’s actions and their conversations. A forward-facing video with audio captured conditions in front of the locomotive as well as external sounds.
                  * The crew was not observed to use any personal electronic devices during the timeframe reviewed.
                  * About six seconds prior to the derailment, the engineer made a comment regarding an over speed condition.
                  * The engineer’s actions were consistent with the application of the locomotive’s brakes just before the recording ended. It did not appear the engineer placed the brake handle in emergency-braking mode.
                  * The recording ended as the locomotive was tilting and the crew was bracing for impact.
                  * The final recorded speed of the locomotive was 78 mph.

Comment

Working...
                  X