Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The headlines never stop giving...(apparently I used this title before).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Evan View Post
    WIth or without STALL protection...
    The challenge that Gabe has accepted was a visual hand flown approach. No localizer or glideslope information. He gets the aircraft on a 10 mile final, fully configured and all four engines running. One hand full of yoke and the other with four thrust levers. I am still betting him lunch and a couple of beers that he never makes the runway. I will give him a second chance after the first crash on a 20 mile final!

Comment

Will you let me know the Vref for the config and weight? In exchange of that, I will let you be my co-pilot and monitor the transponder light

Evan, the 747-200 has a nice set of stall protection. First, it has an airspeed indicator that the pilot should monitor closely, especially in short final. Then it has an artificial horizon and vertical speed indicator that let you estimate the angle of attack. Finally, it has a stickshaker that activates if you get too close to the critical angle of attack. With all that in place, plus a (barely enough) competent pilot at the controls, I would say that the 747-200 is quite protected against stall. Or when was the last time that you've heard of a 747 stalling?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
        Or when was the last time that you've heard of a 747 stalling?
        A couple years ago, in Bagram. Granted, it wasn't the airplane's fault...

Comment

Will you let me know the Vref for the config and weight?
          I'd say whatever speed it takes to maintain a 3deg glidepath at around 1,000fpm. An engineer of your magnitude should be able to figure that out without any help from BB.

Comment

Will you let me know the Vref for the config and weight? In exchange of that, I will let you be my co-pilot and monitor the transponder light

Evan, the 747-200 has a nice set of stall protection. First, it has an airspeed indicator that the pilot should monitor closely, especially in short final. Then it has an artificial horizon and vertical speed indicator that let you estimate the angle of attack. Finally, it has a stickshaker that activates if you get too close to the critical angle of attack. With all that in place, plus a (barely enough) competent pilot at the controls, I would say that the 747-200 is quite protected against stall. Or when was the last time that you've heard of a 747 stalling?
            When I said fully configured I mean you will have gear down, landing flaps and your airspeed bugs will be set. Good luck, we are all counting on you!

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
              When I said fully configured I mean you will have gear down, landing flaps and your airspeed bugs will be set. Good luck, we are all counting on you!
              When is this Blessed Event to take place? I think I'd like to watch, it's not much of a drive for me. Heck, I might even pick up lunch. PM me, if you'd rather.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                I'd say whatever speed it takes to maintain a 3deg glidepath at around 1,000fpm. An engineer of your magnitude should be able to figure that out without any help from BB.
                I explained before how I did in a 737-300 sim where I didn't have a pilot, instructor or ANY information at all. It was just "here is the sim, play with it for a while, good bye" and my first challenge was to adjust the seat and the second one was to release the parking brakes (I spent like 10 minutes until I figured that one out).

So take off with flaps 10 was no problem. Just full power and at about 140 slowly rotate, my plan was to keep it below 8 deg until I got positive climb but it lifted off before I got to that point.

Flying around a bit around the Rio area, and the returning to land (thank God for the map in the instructor's seat that my non-pilot friend used to sort of vector me because I had no clue where the airport was), I had to decide what would be my approach speed (the plane was clean, high and fast by then). So my reasoning was this:

Pax jets approach with an attitude between 0 ad 4 deg nose up. Let's take 2 deg as an average. In a 3 deg glide slope, with no winds that would equate to 5 degrees of angle of attack, which is the same than flying level at 5 degrees nose up. So I put the plane at 5 deg, reduced thrust, the plane of course climbed first but started to lose speed and the climb rate started to reduce. When the VSI got to zero I added one notch of slats/flaps while keeping 5 degrees of pitch, the plane would climb again, slow down, got to zero fpm, added another notch and so on until I got to flap 30 and zero fpm and kept that condition by adding thrust as necessary. Stable straight and level with f degrees of pitch, constant speed and flaps 30, I trimmed the plane. That would be my Vapp. So I kept the trim fixed and the speed as nailed as I could at that speed for the reminder of the flight, approach and landing, changing the thrust as needed to adjust the descent and the yoke to keep the speed. The landing was successful (although the touchdown was, ehem, firm).

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                  When is this Blessed Event to take place? I think I'd like to watch, it's not much of a drive for me. Heck, I might even pick up lunch. PM me, if you'd rather.
                  Ask Gabe if he wants an audience, not a problem with me.

Comment

I explained before how I did in a 737-300 sim where I didn't have a pilot, instructor or ANY information at all. It was just "here is the sim, play with it for a while, good bye" and my first challenge was to adjust the seat and the second one was to release the parking brakes (I spent like 10 minutes until I figured that one out).
                    The seat and the parking brake is going to look almost identical. Landing at around 650000 pounds gonna be a touch different. You let ATL know if you want him to buy us both lunch.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
                      Should be your call, not his. It's your sim.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                        Should be your call, not his. It's your sim.

Comment

No problem with me BB. I would not miss this opportunity even if you invited Flyboy and ITS

Comment

The seat and the parking brake is going to look almost identical. Landing at around 650000 pounds gonna be a touch different.
                            How are the bets doing? 10 to 1 against me?
                            You have so little confidence in me being able to make a perfect* landing on a runway with the 747.
                            (* prefect landing: that where you can walk away from the sim and re-use it with no further maintenance)

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                              No problem with me BB. I would not miss this opportunity even if you invited Flyboy and ITS
                              How about we have our German friend fly in for it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                                How are the bets doing? 10 to 1 against me?
                                You have so little confidence in me being able to make a perfect* landing on a runway with the 747.
                                (* prefect landing: that where you can walk away from the sim and re-use it with no further maintenance)
                                I will have to check and see what Las Vegas is giving.

Comment

Working...
                                X