Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can an aeroengineer parlour talker PPL MSFS user land a 747?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can an aeroengineer parlour talker PPL MSFS user land a 747?

We need to know a number of details.

Was it 30 miles out- configured, trimmed, stabilized, and on the glidepath?

Will the ILS be available? A visual glidepath indicator? CAVU? Calm, Mild or "Interesting" winds.

Runway length & width?

Will we get to fly a circle or two to get the feel of the controls/"aircraft"?

Gabriel- are you MSFS honing your skills to react visually (and maybe some instruments like VSI to achieve an acceptable (though possibly ugly) flare and touchdown?) Flying a wide range of aircraft to maybe even disconnect a need to "feel" the controls- instead learning to do what should be done to maneuver down to the runway.

Any plans to deviate during your 30 mile final to "feel things out" or are you going to bore straight down to the runway?

What are the stakes (or should I say steaks?) and conditions for this? Or is someone buying dinner either way as a symbol of appreciation?

Should we next see if we can find a brain surgery simulator and successfully remove a tumor? Will TeeVee be offering simulated trials where we can argue legal cases?
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

I think much more important questions are 1) does the sim have a bathroom and if so 2) how large is it?
    Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
      Gabriel- are you MSFS honing your skills to react visually (and maybe some instruments like VSI to achieve an acceptable (though possibly ugly) flare and touchdown?) Flying a wide range of aircraft to maybe even disconnect a need to "feel" the controls- instead learning to do what should be done to maneuver down to the runway.
      I don't have any PC flight sim currently installed. So the answers to your questions are no, no, no no, and no.

Will we get to fly a circle or two to get the feel of the controls/"aircraft"? Any plans to deviate during your 30 mile final to "feel things out" or are you going to bore straight down to the runway?
      I don't know how much time I will have the sim available. If it was my choice, I would spend a couple of days practicing take offs, landings, V1 engine failures, steep banks (only at 45 deg and 10K feet), windshear, GPWS escapes, upset recovery, ILS approaches in IMC below minimums, stalls, loops and barrel rolls, UAS (with control law reverting to abnormal alternate mode) and partial panel before attempting the dangerous fully configured 10 NM visual final approach.

What are the stakes (or should I say steaks?) and conditions for this? Or is someone buying dinner either way as a symbol of appreciation?
      We are still fighting over that. Both of us want to pay the lunch.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
        I don't have any PC flight sim currently installed. So the answers to your questions are no, no, no no, and no.

I don't know how much time I will have the sim available. If it was my choice, I would spend a couple of days practicing take offs, landings, V1 engine failures, steep banks (only at 45 deg and 10K feet), windshear, GPWS escapes, upset recovery, ILS approaches in IMC below minimums, stalls, loops and barrel rolls, UAS (with control law reverting to abnormal alternate mode) and partial panel before attempting the dangerous fully configured 10 NM visual final approach.
        And a ditching. Don't forget the ditching switch.

Comment

We need to know a number of details.

Was it 30 miles out- configured, trimmed, stabilized, and on the glidepath?

Will the ILS be available? A visual glidepath indicator? CAVU? Calm, Mild or "Interesting" winds.

Runway length & width?

Will we get to fly a circle or two to get the feel of the controls/"aircraft"?

Any plans to deviate during your 30 mile final to "feel things out" or are you going to bore straight down to the runway?

Should we next see if we can find a brain surgery simulator and successfully remove a tumor? Will TeeVee be offering simulated trials where we can argue legal cases?
          Read my post earlier, almost all of your questions were already answered. By the way, you failed because you did not read the f'n question before you answered!

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
            Read my post earlier, almost all of your questions were already answered. By the way, you failed because you did not read the f'n question before you answered!
            This is awesome.

First we have an F-bomb.

But better yet:

-You demonstrated no real understanding of anti-lock/anti-skid braking systems.

-You demonstrated really bad understanding of those systems on an RTO (while arguing with three flaming amateurs who where ONLY guessing and yet knew more about it than you and your 10 zillion hours.)

-You also demonstrate no understanding of time stamps on discussion forum posts.

AND

-I suspect that maybe you don't know when, why, where and what situation steep banks might occur and why one might practice them...but hey, they are done at 10,000 feet and 250 knots in the sim- cool info bro'
            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

This is awesome.

First we have an F-bomb.

But better yet:

-You demonstrated no real understanding of anti-lock/anti-skid braking systems.

-You demonstrated really bad understanding of those systems on an RTO (while arguing with three flaming amateurs who where ONLY guessing and yet knew more about it than you and your 10 zillion hours.)

-You also demonstrate no understanding of time stamps on discussion forum posts.

AND

-I suspect that maybe you don't know when, why, where and what situation steep banks might occur and why one might practice them...but hey, they are done at 10,000 feet and 250 knots in the sim- cool info bro'

A: I have been retired for a year and a half so my system knowledge is a bit rusty. I was wrong and I admitted it. However I did remember the most important part as far as I was concerned that RTO commands 3000 psi to all wheel brakes. B: I first posted that Gabe would be given the Sim on a 10 mile final fully configured. That means ready to land, gear down flaps 25 or 30. No glideslope or localizer information and a visual approach. Then you ask “Was it 30 miles out- configured, trimmed, stabilized, and on the glidepath? Will the ILS be available? A visual glidepath indicator? CAVU? Calm, Mild or "Interesting" winds”. C: I have no idea what you are getting at with your steep turn B.S. and C: You are like the guy in ground school that asks the instructor about something that was just discussed 10 minutes prior, which is where the very old mnemonic of RTFQBYA comes from.

Comment

RTFQBYA
                That one is new for me... I fear the F, especially preceded by a T.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                  That one is new for me... I fear the F, especially preceded by a T.
                  Read the f'n question before you answer

Comment

Does your airplane have a TO/FGA switch?
                    Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Read the f'n question before you answer
                      Well, at least I got the T and the F correctly

Comment

Working...
                      X