Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smokin' in the boys' room (the headlines never stop giving)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Evan View Post
    But there is something that you will never master. Something that might disable your well-trained, rational mind in an instant. Unfortunately it is hidden in a cocoon of denial until it comes into being. The sooner all those super-pilots of the millenium admit to this vulnerability, and learn to respect its power as well as everything the industry has done to defend against it, the sooner things will become safer across the industry. Until then the skies will be full of impeccable pilot-gods who are above mere-mortal procedure until that one, magic moment of humility...
    Not that 3000 or 15000 hours will make the difference there either. So nothing of what I said changes.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Word out now is that both pilots have been fired and their CTPL's are being revoked. This bothers me for two reasons. FIrst, the story is that the F/O acted (apparently attempting to switch both packs OFF) without informing the captain, so it's hard to understand why the captain himself would be at fault. Secondly, this F/O definitely needs re-education on CRM, concentration and discipline, but firing a trained pilot seems just punitive rather than constructive. I would give him a chance to develop those things, although I wouldn't let him back in the cockpit until he proved that he had developed what it takes. It seems to me that, especially with a pilot shortage, operators would want to invest in their pilots rather than simply discard them (and this one clearly wasn't trained well enough). But then again, maybe this is WHY there is a pilot shortage...

Comment

You never heard of a "one strike and you and the guy sitting next to you are out" policy?
        Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Working...
        X