What's It Doing Now, Chapter IV: The Gyro Menace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Evan View Post
    I just disagree that is should have to be made safer when the real problem lies in pilot training. We shouldn't have to design jets that make up for bad fundamental pilot training.
    you almost made sense here. what we really need to do is design jets and their systems keepin in mind that pilots will always be human and being human will sometimes make mistakes--big and small; they will sometimes fail to pay 100% attention to everything, especially when things are degrading; they will entirely shit the bed sometimes (e.g., pull up relentlessly when in a stall) and on-and-on.

aerospace industry has gone a loooooong way toward perfecting these systems. from my limited perspective, they kinda fell short in some areas and said, "well, the pilots will have to either avoid this entirely or figure this out when it happens."

Comment

Well, Airbus addressed that with the ADIRS panel (overhead), the SWITCHING panel (pedestal) and the MDCU IRS monitor page. Yes, they expect Murphy's Law to be enforced. Therefore, they provided these controls to either realign the IRS units in flight or to shut down a faulty unit and switch to over to the redundant one (IRS3, the very one that [somebody] shut down here.) But a lot of good that does if [somebody] neglects to concentrate and follow the relatively simple procedure, despite having plenty of time to do so.

You've lost me. Where did you see a lack of 'fundamental aerodienamical airmanshipmanship' here?
      Dude, you are amazing. I see just about 0.000000% 'fundamental aerodienamical airmanshipmanship' in your paragraph above, but I guess it is somewhat related to Category 7 performance standards.

I only see switching electronics off and on in a somewhat tricky, exact order with some apparently insidiously-similar switches...Murphy-prone at its finest!

Would it be wise to have a LESTGGSAI* in a corner of the panel somewhere?

*Little Electric Semi-Traditional Genuine Gyro Standby Attitude Indicator for the rest of us- Evan would only understand an acronym.
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
        you almost made sense here. what we really need to do is design jets and their systems keepin in mind that pilots will always be human and being human will sometimes make mistakes--big and small; they will sometimes fail to pay 100% attention to everything, especially when things are degrading; they will entirely shit the bed sometimes (e.g., pull up relentlessly when in a stall) and on-and-on.

The trouble with that excuse is that nothing was hitting the fan here. This was a routine nuisance problem (the previous flight also experienced it and landed without a hitch). This was a take-your-time-and-work-the-problem problem. This was a calmly-drag-out-the-QRH, discuss-with-the-other-pilot-and-methodically-work-the-problem problem. Both crew should have been involved, both should had eyes on the panels when things were switched. That's the human error redundancy. CRM. CRM is respected in some pilot cultures and devalued in others.

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
        aerospace industry has gone a loooooong way toward perfecting these systems. from my limited perspective, they kinda fell short in some areas and said, "well, the pilots will have to either avoid this entirely or figure this out when it happens."
        Except for the fact that they provided panels specifically for this problem and a short, simple procedure in the FCOM. What else would you have them do?

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
          I only see switching electronics off and on in a somewhat tricky, exact order with some apparently insidiously-similar switches...Murphy-prone at its finest!
          You don't see a flight crew landing a wide-body jet with electro-mechanical instruments and a side-stick in direct law with no trim feel? I think that qualifies as 'fundamental aerodienamical airmanshipmanship'.

Comment

I call that the wrong thread...
            I don't know what you are talking about...

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
            --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Dude, you are amazing. I see just about 0.000000% 'fundamental aerodienamical airmanshipmanship' in your paragraph above, but I guess it is somewhat related to Category 7 performance standards.

Would it be wise to have a LESTGGSAI* in a corner of the panel somewhere?

*Little Electric Semi-Traditional Genuine Gyro Standby Attitude Indicator for the rest of us- Evan would only understand an acronym.
              This is a still frame of the video that the second first officer took during the approach.

Care to guess what's not visible here but is next to the mechanical ASI and ALT seen on the right side of the picture?

Click image for larger version

Name:	xl_a332_athens_141226_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	1029312

Let's see...

Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	1029313

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
              --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                Let's see...
                Good to know- it's stand-alone, electro-mechanical, right?

In Evan's acronym-laden comments, did he say they turned the thing off while flipping similar looking switches?

Who in the hell designed it to be turned off???- Isn't a cumulonimbus switch back behind them good enough? And if it goes haywire- get some gunk from an FA and stick a piece of paper over it.
                Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Good to know- it's stand-alone, electro-mechanical, right?

In Evan's acronym-laden comments, did he say they turned the thing off while flipping similar looking switches?
                  It might be acronym-laden but it's really simple. There are dedicated IR units for both the CPT anf FO (IRS1/IRS2). There is a third IR unit as a back-up (IRS3), unused in normal operations. If one of the dedicated IR units fails (or is switched off) the third unit (IRS3) can be switched over to that side. So long as two units are still operating in agreement, there is no problem.

The back-up instruments are provided in case two or more data sources fail (about as unlikely as two engines failing, unless [someone] switches them off accidentally). The older, electromechanical instrument on this aircraft has its own internal gyro powered by the essential DC bus. Even if there is a total power loss, it will operate for some time on battery. I don't know of any way to shut it down aside from a breaker.

Comment

It might be acronym-laden but it's really simple. There are dedicated IR units for both the CPT anf FO (IRS1/IRS2). There is a third IR unit as a back-up (IRS3), unused in normal operations. If one of the dedicated IR units fails (or is switched off) the third unit (IRS3) can be switched over to that side. So long as two units are still operating in agreement, there is no problem.

The back-up instruments are provided in case two or more data sources fail (about as unlikely as two engines failing, unless [someone] switches them off accidentally). The older, electromechanical instrument on this aircraft has its own internal gyro powered by the essential DC bus. Even if there is a total power loss, it will operate for some time on battery. I don't know of any way to shut it down aside from a breaker.
                    Sorry man, just not sure where infrared radiation, a 1980s-era word processor, the United States' tax folks and bus service in the District of Columbia have to do with an attitude indicator. Can you reliably discern radiation differences from above and below? I'm sure they are different, but with clouds/clear and day and night, I can see where there's inconsistencies over time.

Maybe we get more formal and put a roll of wide painter's tape to tape over the faulty attitude indications?

Comment

Maybe we get more formal and put a roll of wide painter's tape to tape over the faulty attitude indications?
                      It would have been better to tape over the #3 IRS switch.

Sorry for acronym.

Comment

Working...
                      X