The date is set.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gabriel
    Gabriel (and almost all pilots but not enough) have proven that this can be overcome with knowledge and discipline, so that's what we are doing.
    Are you guys suggesting that 'almost all professional pilots' have encountered an unexpected stall and flown out of it? God I hope not.

The fact is we really have no idea how many professional pilots are prepared to deal with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
      Are you guys suggesting that 'almost all professional pilots' have encountered an unexpected stall and flown out of it? God I hope not.

The fact is we really have no idea how many professional pilots are prepared to deal with that.
      I would say that most pilots have encountered an unintended stall. My example came from a secondary stall- and in my case it was a full stall with a nice little uncommand roll added in. [Very recently saw a YouTube of professional dudes practicing full stalls in a 737 sim...on recovery the stick shaker kicked back in...I think they caught it just short of the second stall]

Much like Gabriel (and thanks to my instructor's PRIOR instruction (he was not there) and some outside reading) I instinctively knew what to do even though the aircraft surprised and scared me. And fortunately, I was at a safe altitude and made immediate corrections- lost a couple hundred feet doing a robust recovery.

And all of this done as a highly-experienced 30-hour veteran flying a 2000-pound airplane with a handful of levers to manage throttle, carb heat and mixture...

I could be wrong that "most" pilots have seen this- but I do think it's more often than you think it is. For folks who have flown a single-engine Cessna, there's a significant likelihood you have heard a stall warning during the landing flare. Maybe Bobby or Brian will chime in.
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Working...
      X