Cessna 414 Crash at KSNA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by daveyl123 View Post
    ... and the approach flown at published speeds, or it will float. The problem with floating is exacerbated by pilots attempting to plant the aircraft by relaxing back pressure. This sometimes results in nosewheel first contact. I've actually witnessed a severe porpoise event that occurs during these landings...
    Right, like in this Mooney:
    by Canadian Flight Centre - Professional Pilot Training from tailwheel to turbinehttp://www.cfc.aeroFOR MORE INFORMATION AND OUR FURTHER SERVICES: • For all ...

Ot this Mooney:
    A pilot inadvertantly causes a Cessna 172 to Porpoise

Or this Mooney:
    This video shows a landing accident of a type that is rarely caught by the camera. The "Porpoising" landing takes place at Rtishchevo, a town in south-wester...

Or this Mooney:

Or, very specially, this Mooney (ok, this one happened due to the pilot pushing down after actually bouncing on the mains, and a horrible DC-10 landing gear design where the fuse is the wing spar)
    http://bit.ly/dlIE7Z A Federal Express Corp cargo plane crashes and burst into flames as it landed at Narita international airport on March 23, 2009 in Toyko.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• No fatalities? The Mooney floats/porpoise incidents are resulting in go-arounds at airspeeds below recommended values, and in the case of the San Diego mishap, the climb configuration was not achieved. I understand planes porpoise, but Mooney aircraft are involved in fatal events that continue to occur due to their unique landing characteristics.

Comment

• I would also like to thank you for affirming my position: Obviously, those planes were being flown manually...

Comment

I would also like to thank you for affirming my position: Obviously, those planes were being flown manually...
          By pilots who are addicted to autoland. Obviously.

Comment

• Anyone who porpoises a Chickenhawk should be taken out and shot. This particular plane I discuss has unique landing characteristics, with the gear design virtually guaranteeing a porpoise event if you don't fly them properly during approaches. As I pointed out, I watched one of those terrifying landings.

Comment

• There I was, the sun was in my eyes. And I knew somewhere out there, he was lurking in the clouds, just waiting to swoop down on me.......

Comment

• Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
                There I was, the sun was in my eyes. And I knew somewhere out there, he was lurking in the clouds, just waiting to swoop down on me.......
                Bobby, since I don't have your experience or wisdom, I'll ask you to help me out here: is this guy serious or what?

Comment

• Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                  Bobby, since I don't have your experience or wisdom, I'll ask you to help me out here: is this guy serious or what?
                  I say we all pitch in and buy him a ticket to, 1 hr away from EDDL!

Comment

• Can someone remind me, what is the porpoise of this discussion?
                    Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                      Ok, I thought that if I kept a stabilized approach at the appropriate approach speed and with the appropriate configuration and flared a bit as to touch with the main gear first and keep the vertical speed within the limits of the 14 CFR limit loads, then I would be able to land a Mooney.

But it seems that I was wrong. So please tell us, what it takes to land a Mooney that makes it different from, I don't know, say a Tomahawk or a 747-200.
                      Gabieee:

I have heard that Mooneys can be a little tougher to land compared to the bug fuzzy grand average of all light airplanes.

I think I have also heard that MD-11s can be a little tougher to land and compared to the big fuzzy grand average of all airliners.

Davey may be making a bit too much out of it- then again- porpoising happens, planes get bent and people die- even though you sort of landed a 747.

Are you really entitled to say that you'd never (absolute statement) botch a Mooney or MD-11 landing?

Another suggestion I have heard is to ban all aircraft. I don't know that Davey agrees with that one.

(Footnote: I see your listing of non-Mooney bouncieee porpoiseeee landings and agree that it is not_a Mooney-only behaviour: However, I do think Davey may be accurate that Mooneys might be a bit more persnickety (high performance aircraft tend to be that way...Footnote footnote- Lear Jets also qualify)
                      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                        However, I do think Davey may be accurate that Mooneys might be a bit more persnickety...
                        So, I guess it's Mooneys that are Tricky Beasts.

Comment

I've flown Mooney's extensively, and I can sense that pilots aren't being taught to fly them correctly.
                          Can you be more specific as regards the term "extensively"? 1,000 hours? 5,000? I'm just curious if I've flown any of my types "extensively".

Comment

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                            Gabieee:

Are you really entitled to say that you'd never (absolute statement) botch a Mooney or MD-11 landing?
                            I am nor. Also not a Cessna 152 landing.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                            --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                              So, I guess it's Mooneys that are Tricky Beasts.
                              I wouldn’t know. Unfortunately, we seem to crash light planes in spite of Gabriel’s pseudo 747 abilities.

Tricky beasts...Moonies, V-35s, 310s, 182s, Tommahawks, MD-11s, light twins, JU-52s, the Wright Flyer, Space Shuttle, SR-71, and who knows how many more.
                              Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• Maybe we should ask if Davey agrees with the official cause of TWA-800?

Comment

Working...
                                X