Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BREAKING Two Antonov aircraft have collided on the ground at Khartoum Airport, Sudan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BREAKING Two Antonov aircraft have collided on the ground at Khartoum Airport, Sudan

https://www.airlive.net/breaking-two...airport-sudan/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHUMe6Mfkxk

That is AWESOME! I certainly hope no one did died (or was hurt), but a rear-end collision on a runway of what appears to be two landing planes...

Ummm...yeah, someone screwed up and we should indeed admonish them.

I'm sure there may be some Swiss cheese here and there, and look forward to the final report (and/or interim details and analysis).
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

A lot of aircraft accidents involve considerable amounts of Swiss cheese, but I'm not sure this is one of them.

To me this looks like a pretty simple scenario: 1) pilot(s) make decision to land on an already-occupied runway, 2) physics rears its ugly head and shows what a bad decision he/she/they made.
      Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post
        To me this looks like a pretty simple scenario: 1) pilot(s) make decision to land on an already-occupied runway, 2) physics rears its ugly head and shows what a bad decision he/she/they made.
        Counter argument is that I think if you surveyed everyone with a pilots license they'd say that will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever happen to me...

Mis-judge the weather, or feeling just a bit too comfortable tightening up that base-to-final turn...I can see that (even though I'd never ignore the stall warning...I think).

There are these fundamental rules: (which may or may not be type-specific to Antonov aircraft)

1. Do not ever ever ever touch down on a runway that has another aircraft in any way shape or form on the blessed runway pavement (unless there is an emergency). Instead, go around.
        (This includes Departing aircraft that are still touching the runway...DO NOT LAND- even if there's like near zero chance that your landing 172 will somehow hit the departing MD-80).
        2. If you ever choose to violate #1, then be totally totally totally sure you will be able to land and stop before reaching the occupying aircraft. (My understanding is that most landings are liberal in wasting the first 800+ feet of runway AND THEN involve something other than maximum, unlimited 3000 PSI braking for the sake of brake temperatures, tire life and occupant comfort.)
        2. b. Make significant efforts to limit runway waste AND to brake harder than average.

There's 3 layers of busted Swiss Cheese (and I assume there's a 4th that says, "I think we can stop on time")
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post

I'm sure there may be some Swiss cheese here and there, and look forward to the final report (and/or interim details and analysis).
          I think this will turn out to be a swiss cheese sandwich.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
            There are these fundamental rules: (which may or may not be type-specific to Antonov aircraft)

1. Do not ever ever ever touch down on a runway that has another aircraft in any way shape or form on the blessed runway pavement (unless there is an emergency). Instead, go around.
            (This includes Departing aircraft that are still touching the runway...DO NOT LAND- even if there's like near zero chance that your landing 172 will somehow hit the departing MD-80).
            2. If you ever choose to violate #1, then be totally totally totally sure you will be able to land and stop before reaching the occupying aircraft. (My understanding is that most landings are liberal in wasting the first 800+ feet of runway AND THEN involve something other than maximum, unlimited 3000 PSI braking for the sake of brake temperatures, tire life and occupant comfort.)
            2. b. Make significant efforts to limit runway waste AND to brake harder than average.
            For the sake of total accuracy, I wish to acknowledge that there are formation flying and military operations that deviate from the "normal" world where one-and only one- aircraft uses the blessed pavement for "flight" in a very absolute way...

Although, I generally see fighter jets taking left and right sides of the runway.

Curious if this was a totally deliberate approved landing with a dude ahead and then you mix some hard braking with a long landing and...whoops.

Comment

Working...
            X