Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All arrivals and departures halted at LGW due to drones "flying over the runway"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • All arrivals and departures halted at LGW due to drones "flying over the runway"

    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...drones-flying/

    Multiple airlines affected, flights diverted to inter alia Heathrow, Amsterdam and Manchester.

  • #2
    it's only a matter of time before one of these glorified toys causes real injury/death. they should be required to be registered to the owner who must provide govt. issued ID and carry broadcasters that identify the owner. yes, that would be very expensive, bu cheaper than even a single human life.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
      it's only a matter of time before one of these glorified toys causes real injury/death. they should be required to be registered to the owner who must provide govt. issued ID and carry broadcasters that identify the owner. yes, that would be very expensive, bu cheaper than even a single human life.
      It's only a matter of time before one of these glorified toys becomes an IED. Governments have got to start thinking ahead this time.

      Comment


      • #4
        Can the location of the controlling transmitter not be located using triangulation equipment ?
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
          Can the location of the controlling transmitter not be located using triangulation equipment ?
          It actually simpler than that. Just jam the signal and follow it. When it loses signal it will return to where it came from.

          Comment


          • #6
            follow it how? it's not as if there are squadrons of counter-drones standing by to pursue rogue drones, though that may be where this heads: Drone Force!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
              follow it how? it's not as if there are squadrons of counter-drones standing by to pursue rogue drones, though that may be where this heads: Drone Force!
              Is that going to be Trump's newest branch of the military?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                follow it how? it's not as if there are squadrons of counter-drones standing by to pursue rogue drones, though that may be where this heads: Drone Force!
                I think they can track these things on radar.

                And don't laugh. There are 'drone forces' in place in a number of countries. They're using everything from net-firing bazookas to destructive lasers. Oh, and eagles.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Evan View Post
                  I think they can track these things on radar.

                  And don't laugh. There are 'drone forces' in place in a number of countries. They're using everything from net-firing bazookas to destructive lasers. Oh, and eagles.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	rodserling_arangel_P.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	1031915

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    now some will call me nuts, and that's ok (eh, they may be right anyway), but i'd love to see a law passed that mandates 50, yes fifty, years in prison at hard labor for violating drone laws in restricted airspace. then, throw everything, and i mean everything, into finding a prosecuting some unlucky schmuck and lock his/her ass up for 50 years. make the entire process VERY public and keep it that way so that all the other idiots (i bet some are from this site), keep their toys away from people/cargo carrying aircraft.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                      call me nuts
                      Nuts.
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      .
                      (but I agree, if there is intention and not just garden variety negligence)

                      --- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                        now some will call me nuts, and that's ok (eh, they may be right anyway), but i'd love to see a law passed that mandates 50, yes fifty, years in prison at hard labor for violating drone laws in restricted airspace. then, throw everything, and i mean everything, into finding a prosecuting some unlucky schmuck and lock his/her ass up for 50 years. make the entire process VERY public and keep it that way so that all the other idiots (i bet some are from this site), keep their toys away from people/cargo carrying aircraft.
                        With you all the way here. Trouble is, our weak willed law makers and judges here in the UK seem to think that telling the miscreant, in a very stern voice that they are a very naughty person and mustn’t do it again is a sufficient punishment. If you do do it again they will slap their wristies and send them to bed with no tea !

                        Way back when the Great Train Robbery thieves were given large sentences around 30 years for stealing circa 2m. This equates to around 50m today.

                        The little wankstain who flew the drone has cost the country and the airlines far more millions than that. Then we have to add the financial cost incurred by the delayed passengers and their lost holidays.

                        Yes, 30 years sounds like a good figure to me.
                        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          BBC reporting two have been arrested in connection....

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                            now some will call me nuts, and that's ok (eh, they may be right anyway), but i'd love to see a law passed that mandates 50, yes fifty, years in prison at hard labor for violating drone laws in restricted airspace. then, throw everything, and i mean everything, into finding a prosecuting some unlucky schmuck and lock his/her ass up for 50 years. make the entire process VERY public and keep it that way so that all the other idiots (i bet some are from this site), keep their toys away from people/cargo carrying aircraft.
                            Make them eat only lutefisk. For life.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by BBC
                              Authorities finally regained control over the airfield after the Army deployed unidentified military technology to guard the area, reassuring the airport that it was safe enough to fly from about 06:00 on Friday. The Israeli-developed Drone Dome system, which can detect drones using radar, is believed to have been used. It can jam communications between the drone and its operator, enabling authorities to take control of and land the device.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	rodserling_arangel_P.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	1031915 Indeed

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X