Breaking news: Ethiopian Airlines flight has crashed on way to Nairobi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The FAA just posted the order banning 737Max flights in the USA

I assume Boeing will get an exemption to the US flight ban to allow flight tests with whatever improvements it adds to the aircraft.

Comment

• Originally posted by Highkeas View Post
      The FAA just posted the order banning 737Max flights in the USA
      https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/med...ency_Order.pdf
      Section 3 para 2 under "Basis For Order" makes for very interesting reading.

Comment

• Boeing obviously will be allowed to fly the aircraft when necessary for testing purposes.

That said, hopefully now the absolute insane level of hysteria will abate.

Comment

• Originally posted by flashcrash View Post
          Section 3 para 2 under "Basis For Order" makes for very interesting reading.
          Yes, it says.... nothing.

It just lists both accidents and says "On March 13 the investigation of ET302 developed new information from the wreckage concerning the aircraft's configuration just after takeoff that, taken together with newly refined satellite-based tracking of the aircraft's flight path, indicates some similarities between ET302 and JT610 that warrant further investigation of the possibility of a shared cause for the two incidents [sic] that needs to be better understood and addressed"

I'd love some clarification on the bold part. The underlined part is a lot of words to say that there might be something but we really don't know.

I think that thy now they know more than they are making public.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Originally posted by B757300 View Post
            Boeing obviously will be allowed to fly the aircraft when necessary for testing purposes.
            Everybody will be allowed to fly the plane with special permits for non-commercial purposes (like bringing back the plane that just landed in Punta Cana).

This immediate ban on all take-offs will have a strong impact on operations. Think how many MAX were about to make a flight with PAX and how many landed in a destination where they were supposed to board pax and now there is a plane and there is no other plane to bring these pax. Even in significant cases the ban goes into effect in say 48 hours or so to give time to the airlines to take measures to minimize the impact. They either have information that make them think that the plane is a flying death trap or they are over-reacting.

Even the rudder hard-over issue had a timeline of many years to comply with.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

• Originally posted by B757300 View Post
              That said, hopefully now the absolute insane level of hysteria will abate.
              Amongst air safety regulators? I would have thought the concern should have been why the FAA were so late to the party. Still better late than never and, thankfully, there has been no loss in the delay.

I presume the debate now moves to whether the planned April update will be sufficient to fix the issue or whether we will need a greater understanding of the issue and why two crews failed to overcome it - the second crew presumably well aware of the disconnect option. A combination of a design issue complicated by human factors?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4MAaTEm9j8

Look immediately before and after the go-around (I would say from 1:50 on)
                It's a shame that trim isn't something that is routinely used except in extreme circumstances. Maybe pilots would be more familiar with it if it was.
                Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• Gabe. Good that we are here at the same time. That happens very rare doesn't it. 2 questions where I haven't yet found an answer for.

1. Today somebody asked me if beyond the type rating for, and that is my example, Boeing 737-800, you need something else
                  to fly a Boeing 737 Max 8.

That's a question which I'm not able to answer. Let me see how many changes happened in a 747 cockpit since 1989.
                  B744 (inauguration flight 1989).
                  B748 (first flight with Lufthansa colors: November 2011, first appearance in the LH schedule, 2012).

So, since 2012 there has not really been big changes in a 747 cockpit, if you ask me.

And now the 737 Max 8.

2. 737 Max 8, with a completely new cockpit, cp type 737-800?

I admit, two questions in only 1 entry.
                  The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
                  The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
                  And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
                  This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                    It's a shame that trim isn't something that is routinely used except in extreme circumstances. Maybe pilots would be more familiar with it if it was.
                    I didn't get the joke/sarcasm/irony/whatever, because you are obviously not serious with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
                      Gabe. Good that we are here at the same time. That happens very rare doesn't it. 2 questions where I haven't yet found an answer for.

1. Today somebody asked me if beyond the type rating for, and that is my example, Boeing 737-800, you need something else
                      to fly a Boeing 737 Max 8.
                      Yes, you do need more. Being rated for the 737-NG doesn't automatically authorize you to fly the MAX.
                      Now, if you are a 737-NG pilot, the transition to the MAX will be much shorter and abbreviated.

2. 737 Max 8, with a completely new cockpit, cp type 737-800?
                      No, it is not. Any 737-NG pilot will feel at home in the cockpit of a 737 MAX.
                      There are improvements made to the MAX but the cockpits, displays, indicators, switches, buttons, levers, layout, etc, are definitively quite similar.

Comment

I am fed up of "we have evidence", "there is new information", "new data suggests that"...

Why sin't anybody saying clearly this, this, and that suggest that this incident can be related to MCAS?
                        There is a time and place for silence...For example someone should have waited a bit before they said, "the control column was pushed full forward"...A lot of lawyer profit AND Boeing's curtains are riding on this and when "something is said", it may be used against you in a court of law...

Remember the ultimate parlour talk comment: WFTFR
                        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                          There is a time and place for silence...For example someone should have waited a bit before they said, "the control column was pushed full forward"...A lot of lawyer profit AND Boeing's curtains are riding on this and when "something is said", it may be used against you in a court of law...

Remember the ultimate parlour talk comment: WFTFR
                          Not if you just report factual information.

Comment

I didn't get the joke/sarcasm/irony/whatever, because you are obviously not serious with that.
                            Sarcasm correct, but that you don't get it- serious eye-roll:

1) You are usually the one that is thorough.

2) What good is a noisy trim wheel if you aren't familiar with it and the process of trimming.

So- you demonstrate a nice noisy wheel...and maybe pilots also use it a lot and are familiar with it?

Comment

Not if you just report factual information.
                              Ok...two very new airplanes descended into the ground, probably against the pilot's wishes...and there's a new, not-so-redundant, slightly relentless push over system...maybe we should park the airplanes and check on things.

I'm very much with you on the lack of hard proof...but I dunno- we've grounded "fleets" before for the sake of caution...

Comment

• There’s one thing that I’m starting to miss when being flown around the world. I’m missing being flown by highly experienced, highly trained ex military pilots, preferably who at some time in their career had someone shooting at them. The kind of pilots who don’t f**k about with a keyboard when something unusual happens but who just instinctively know what to set the controls to to maintain a reasonable semblance of level flight and thus gain them some more time to work out what is happening.
                                If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Working...
                                X