Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AA A321 "Uncommanded roll to left" on takeoff from JFK; hits distance marker, returns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AA A321 "Uncommanded roll to left" on takeoff from JFK; hits distance marker, returns

An American Airlines jet bound for Los Angeles had to make an emergency landing at John F. Kennedy Airport shortly after takeoff.

"The aircraft veered left causing the left wing tip to collide with a runway sign. The aircraft climbed out, at FL200 the crew decided to stop the climb and return to JFK advising ATC that they had encountered a strong roll to the left during departure and wanted to return to JFK"

Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

A bit strange to impact a structure with a wing and then climb to FL200, isn't it?

This will be interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
      A bit strange to impact a structure with a wing and then climb to FL200, isn't it?

This will be interesting...
      Indeed. The pilots should be physically punished for ignoring the wing collision annunciator lights and proceeding like cowboys to FL200.

However, are you sure the system has decent redundancy, and was operational?

By the way, [uncommanded roll] what's it doing now?
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Uncommanded = Unintended is my guess.

Comment

An actual uncommanded roll would very serious, but I really think it's really unlikely. The pilots reported a "computer problem" to the passengers (weird, why scare them even if true), yet it seems they kept flying enroute for quite a while after the incident, until someone told them the wing was damaged. I think it would be really odd if that's what the pilots would have done if there was a flight control issue.

Comment

Working...
          X