Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Helicopter crashes onto roof of Manhattan building in poor weather.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evan
    replied
    There's no way he could have landed on that roof. It's dominated by machinery and structures that most likely wouldn't bear the weight of the helicopter. I'm thinking, at best, he might have tried to land on the area on the east side of the roof and then the structure collapsed. I'm also thinking he must have had a flight control problem because the Sheep Meadow in Central Park isn't far from the crash site and there are a half dozen better roofs to land on within two blocks. It could have been a low-visibility controlled flight into a structure but, this was also restricted airspace, so I think this was a control issue. There is a (for what it's worth) witness who claimed to have seen it flying erractically over the East River before turning over the city. Since the pilot's remains will be hard to identify, there's still the possibility that the helo was stolen by somebody not to skilled at flying helos. That would be a nice outcome.

Leave a comment:

• Helicopter crashes onto roof of Manhattan building in poor weather.

Sadly, one fatality confirmed

A helicopter has crashed into a building located on 7th Avenue in Manhattan, fire officials said. Follow here for the latest.
Working...
X