X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gabriel
    replied
    Originally posted by Jhonmicky View Post
    Got hung up on how fly by wire systems compensate for loss of pitot tube sensing.
    They don't, unless you consider losing protections, degrading the flight law and the autopilot stopping working a "compensation".

But all I remember of the long detailed discussions of crashes involving pitot tubes is something about power and attitude. So maybe someone can remind me of where the pilots turn when they no longer have air speed data.
    Exactly. Pilots (not fight automation or fly-by-wire systems) turn to P+P=P, which means "Power + Pitch = Performance", which in turn means what combination of power (thrust) setting and pitch attitude will give you the desired airspeed and vertical speed.

A good question could be why, to this day and to my knowledge, P+P=P has not been incorporated in the flight automation logic. It doesn't seem to be so complicated.

Leave a comment:

• Jhonmicky
    started a topic Pitot Tube Failure

Pitot Tube Failure

Hello everyone,,
    Involved in a discussion of the computerization of recently produced automobiles, trying to make an analogy to fly by wire. Attempting to reference pitot tube failure. Got hung up on how fly by wire systems compensate for loss of pitot tube sensing. I know that not all systems are dependent on working pitot tubes. But all I remember of the long detailed discussions of crashes involving pitot tubes is something about power and attitude. So maybe someone can remind me of where the pilots turn when they no longer have air speed data. It is my impression that air speed is very critical to flight management, but pilots can still aviate after the air speed is unreliable.
Working...
X