Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moscow Passenger Plane Catches Fire, Crash-Lands in Cornfield.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evan
    replied
    Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
    I'll pass that along.
    I've since read that they leveled off at 750' but there is no confirmation of their height when the actual bird strikes occurred, so it is possible that the gear was still down at that point. Question to you: Can the gear be retracted with the #1 engine at or below idle? Is the PTU on your planes automatically inhibited below 1500ft (this was a recommended retrofit, not a requirement)?

Leave a comment:

• 3WE
    replied
    Did someone say something about the need for ANOTHER memory checklist?

Originally posted by Evan View Post
    Was the gear retracted before the strike? If not, wise to bring it up before the landing.
    TeeVee and ATL's and Bobby's comments acknowledged as good ones!

Leave a comment:

• Schwartz
    replied
    It sounds like at least one engine was still turning, though maybe not producing any useful thrust, perhaps still providing hydraulics and electrical power. Control law could have still been normal. Was the gear retracted before the strike? If not, wise to bring it up before the landing.

Thank Бог for cornfields and rivers. Sooner or later this is going to end badly. What can be done that isn't being done?
    Read somewhere (maybe on AVHerald comments) the pilot was interviewed and specifically did not lower the gear on purpose. The one engine was certainly oscillating up and down, but like you noted, probably not producing enough consistent thrust to hold them aloft. Lucky there were a lot of cornfields straight ahead.

Leave a comment:

• Black Ram
    replied
    Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
    Captain Sullinski!
    We're going to be in the corn

Leave a comment:

• BoeingBobby
    replied
    Captain Sullinski!

Leave a comment:

• ATLcrew
    replied
    Was the gear retracted before the strike? If not, wise to bring it up before the landing.
    I'll pass that along.

Leave a comment:

• Black Ram
    replied
    So now the Russian regulators say the have found an illegal garbage dump near the airport, which has been attracting birds.

I'm just so glad this didn't turn into another tragedy. Would have been too much bad news from Russia. And the A32x proves its qualities again.

Leave a comment:

• orangehuggy
    replied
    ... What can be done that isn't being done?
    As birds have not killed any commercial airline passengers in thirty years and eleven months, I think the certification standards for engines and airport bird mitigation procedures are adequate and further investments in this field are unnecessary, although perhaps the report into this accident can suggest something...

Leave a comment:

• Black Ram
    replied
    Hilarious. What else?
    Bird avoidance systems. Read somewhere it wasn't working properly in this case. And indeed you can see they got hit right after rotation.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Originally posted by 3WE View Post
    I'd think another memory checklist would be in order.
    Hilarious. What else?

Leave a comment:

• vaztr
    replied
    The memory list for bird avoidance is pretty simple...

1) Don't hit birds
    2) That's it really

Leave a comment:

• TeeVee
    replied
    Originally posted by 3WE View Post
    shit! you beat me to it. memory list for bird avoidance?

Leave a comment:

• 3WE
    replied
    What can be done that isn't being done?

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    It sounds like at least one engine was still turning, though maybe not producing any useful thrust, perhaps still providing hydraulics and electrical power. Control law could have still been normal. Was the gear retracted before the strike? If not, wise to bring it up before the landing.

Thank Бог for cornfields and rivers. Sooner or later this is going to end badly. What can be done that isn't being done?

Leave a comment:

• ErezS
    replied
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOwAquu-1To.youtube

Leave a comment:

Working...
X