X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evan
    replied
    Originally posted by elaw View Post
    ...which has surprisingly good 3D graphics!
    4D. 3D + Newton.

Leave a comment:

• elaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Evan View Post
    Yeah... You could almost get a 17th-hand J-3 for that kind of money and live (and possibly die) in the real world.
    ...which has surprisingly good 3D graphics!

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied
    LH, can you pick a computer for me that would run MSFS 2020 with a reasonable graphic quality and a reasonable frame rate (and I am not super demanding about frame rates) for U$S 1000 or less?

Leave a comment:

• LH-B744
    replied
    If you can convince the passengers
    My dear threadstarter, that's where I stopped reading more. I am a passenger. And nobody convinced me during the last 41 years, and nobody will for the next 410 years.

Kent, you really seem like a jetphotos newbie, with only 8 forum entries in almost 4 years. So let me tell you what happened here during the last 15 years.

We discussed cases like AF #447. Don't tell me that weren't connected to too much computers on board a (longhaul) jet. 228 souls died, zero survivors. And why. The F/O and PF tried to pull out his stick out of that Airbus A330, at FL350 (!)
    !
    And why did he try something insane/stupid like that. Not enough training on the longhaul, not enough training in an Airbus A330-200 (!), not enough training on A332 with MTOW, not enough training... not enough training!!!

And why not enough training. Because back then everybody thought that an Airbus A330-200 is able to fly when all the two pilots in cockpit are sleeping!

Epic fail, the biggest epic fail in aviation since I am a jetphotos forum member! But Thank You for your opinion, Kent.

PS: 2000 $ or more, Gabe, we do talk about US-$, don't we, for a computer that runs fsXI, or as you call it msfs 2020? I should publish a secret now. I have never spent 2000 US-$ for a computer. That includes the machine which I use today to operate Randazzos LH-B744 QOTSI fsx semi pro simulator. ...

$2k+ .., do you know that an economy seat on board a LH-B744 between Germany and Vancouver nonstop return flight was only 1000 Euros?! And that was during the Olympic Winter games in Vancouver 2010, when ALL Germans tried to reach Canada, and many thought, 1000 Euros is a little bit too much. That included me.
    Gabe, am I your travel agency and your computer advisor? I'd love to.
    Probably we should talk..
    Last edited by LH-B744; 2019-10-18, 04:25. Reason: $2k+ ... what the hell are you tryin to buy lol.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
    If you didn't yet, check the MSFS 2020 entry in the house's Flight Simulator forum.

I am 100% committed to buying my copy... except that I am not 100% committed in spending $2K+ in a computer that runs it.
    Yeah... You could almost get a 17th-hand J-3 for that kind of money and live (and possibly die) in the real world.

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied
    If you didn't yet, check the MSFS 2020 entry in the house's Flight Simulator forum.

I am 100% committed to buying my copy... except that I am not 100% committed in spending $2K+ in a computer that runs it.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    MSFS 2020 will save us:

Microsoft Flight Simulator – the PC-based pastime beloved by wannabe pilots since 1982 – will return in 2020 with a reboot. And it could be just in time to save the aviation industry.

The new 3D is astonishingly real these days. I might even start playing.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
    When we are ready for pilot-less, let's move to pilot-less. While we are not ready for pilot-less, let's keep 2 pilots and let's keep them actively hand flying (click-click, clack-clack) from time to time.
    Done!

Leave a comment:

• Gabriel
    replied
    When we are ready for pilot-less, let's move to pilot-less. While we are not ready for pilot-less, let's keep 2 pilots and let's keep them actively hand flying (click-click, clack-clack) from time to time.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Originally posted by kent olsen View Post
    I thought the next step would be single pilot and was surprised with the premise of NO pilots.
    A single pilot is the premise of no pilots, just as a single engine is the premise of no engines. In both cases, we need the second as the redundancy. The current two-pilot cockpit is the premise of a single pilot.

Leave a comment:

• 3WE
    replied
    ***I thought the next step would be single pilot and was surprised with the premise of NO pilots.***
    Yes.

Concur.

We'll see.

Leave a comment:

• 3WE
    replied
    ***using the rudders***
    What is this rudder of which you speak? My head may be exploding. Possibly Evan's too.

Leave a comment:

• kent olsen
    replied
    Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
    You let me know how it goes. I will have to be happy flying my J-3.
    Well maybe I did run off at the mouth about some pilots abilities. Just an old taildragger who always liked hand flying and using the rudders.

But to my first point. Over the years I've seen this. Seven or so years ago at the Mammoth Lakes airport was a guy training pilots to pass the Private Pilot written. Then was training them to operate UAV's. He told me he couldn't train them fast enough for all the openings. Hmm, I'm not sure where they are working, but. Then as I've said I've seen articles in Pro Pilot magazine and a couple others where they address aircraft without any pilots. I thought the next step would be single pilot and was surprised with the premise of NO pilots.

As I said with the retirement numbers increasing in the next 5-15 years I suspect the subject is going to surface more. When I retired from NetJets 4 years ago we had pilots 75 years old still flying. I think a few years ago the union agreed to lower the max age to 70.

Leave a comment:

• BoeingBobby
    replied
    Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
    I'd find the time though.
    You let me know how it goes. I will have to be happy flying my J-3.

Leave a comment:

• ATLcrew
    replied
    Originally posted by Evan View Post
    Yeah, but here's what I don't want: handflying an unstable approach catching the glideslope from above any time now with the runway coming into view any time now, I've done this a million times, relax.
    Nobody wants that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X