Satellite plane tracking goes global

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satellite plane tracking goes global

"US firm Aireon says its new satellite surveillance network is now fully live and being trialled over the North Atlantic. The system employs a constellation of 66 spacecraft, which monitor the situational messages pumped out by aircraft transponders. These report a plane's position, altitude, direction and speed every eight seconds".

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47793983

"This ought to reduce costs for airlines. Passengers should also experience fewer delays." Heaven forbid any cost savings be passed on to pax..... I wonder if they put the "off switch" in a location that is inaccessible during flight to prevent a whacko pilot from turning it off intentionally to complete a murdercide

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
      "This ought to reduce costs for airlines. Passengers should also experience fewer delays." Heaven forbid any cost savings be passed on to pax..... I wonder if they put the "off switch" in a location that is inaccessible during flight to prevent a whacko pilot from turning it off intentionally to complete a murdercide
      That's certainly my concern. Clearly, the description of the system is just cursory in this article, but it does seem that as described it's vulnerable to anyone intentionally disabling the aircraft transponders.

Comment

Originally posted by flashcrash View Post

That's certainly my concern. Clearly, the description of the system is just cursory in this article, but it does seem that as described it's vulnerable to anyone intentionally disabling the aircraft transponders.
        Almost certainly not. That would require a change to every single airplane. This is only the ability to track existing transponders.

Comment

Working...
        X