X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas 2004 (My ATL-LAS trip) PT 1

I'll try to make this as informative and short as possible, so here we go:

Sunday April 11, 2004:

AirTran Flight #7 (Operated by Ryan Int'l Airlines)
    Airbus A320 N381LF
    Seat 19A

Checked for the flight and tried to upgrade to Business Class, but the section was already full (The whole reason why I got to the airport 3 hours early was to try to upgrade, oh well). I was really hoping Row 19 was the second exit row, unfortunately it was the row behind the second exit row. The seat pitch on Ryan International's A320s are pretty bad, it looks like the only difference between the a/c there running for AirTran and those they use on vacation charters is that of having a business class cabin upfront; coach pitch is not even different. Onward through security. Got my bag searched because of an item in my carry-on. Lesson here is to put any rolled coins in your checked luggage, because if you have any in your carry-on, you'll get searched. I was actually through security in less than 10 minutes. Now to the gate, C-14, where the flight was departing from. At around 9:30 am, the boarding started. I had trouble finding my seat because unlike on most a/c, the seat numbers and letters were displayed on the PSU instead of on the overhead bin rail like other a/c. So when I asked the F/A where row 19 was, I felt like a bit of an idiot. sat down and to my disgust, I had a lovely view of mostly wing. Then I noticed the tightness of the seat pitch and was wishing I was in an exit row, that and I've never been a fan of three across seating. Then a couple of kids returning home from Spring Break @ their dad's house end up sitting next to me, and I knew things were quickly going downhill for me. Everybody's on, and we're being delayed by some seating issues involving a few pax. This put us at about a 10 minute delay. We finally pushback and end up spending about 15 minutes in the line to take off (which we would have missed if we would have pushed back on time). We take off and pretty much have nothing to look at but clouds below me and sky above me for about 3 hours of a 4 hour flight. Inflight service was typical AirTran, first service was drinks and a couple of Biscoffs (Those things are so addictive!), second service about 90 minutes later was drinks and pretzels (Man I miss the old AirTran snack mix!). I drank some Vanilla Coke both times (Half a can), Vanilla Coke and Biscoff cookies pair well together. I had to use the lav, but had to wait until the girl sitting next to me woke up from a catnap, as she was laying her head on her tray table. When I finally was able to get up to go, that was a chore just to get out of the seat. I practically had to climb over the people in my row, and use the seat backs of the folks in row 18 to get in and out of my seat. We finally get a break in the clouds about 3 hours and 20 minutes into the flight, but because of the wing view, I really didn't get to see much until we turned for our decent into LAS. A few turns and we on approach into LAS. When we landed, and the thrust reversers engaged, I thought the plane was going to break apart everything was shaking and rattling so much (I at least thought some of the overhead bins were going to open up the shaking was so bad). We taxi to D-32, which seemed to take forever, and deplane, thus ending the nightmare of a flight. I can now see why some people dislike Airbus a/c. Thankfully when I go back next year, it'll be on one of AirTran's 737-700s.

My ratings (on a scale of 1-5, 1=bad 5=excellent):
    Preflight:
    Check In: 4
    Gate: 4

Onboard:
    A/C: 2
    Inflight crew: 2
    Seat pitch: 1

Pretty much when my flight involved AirTran people, it was good, but when it came to Ryan International's side of the flight, it left a lot to be desired. The results of this are in part 2 of this trip report.

Re: Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas 2004 (My ATL-LAS trip)

Originally posted by srbmod
    Pretty much when my flight involved AirTran people, it was good, but when it came to Ryan International's side of the flight, it left a lot to be desired.
    Exactly what I felt when I flew down to MCO. AirTran staff were very nice but Ryan Int'l has surly F/A's, etc. The male F/A reminded me of a drag queen and the female F/A's reminded me of bouncers. Also the boarding was very long as they didn't actually seem to know how many seats they had. I'm looking forward to the 73G's when they start arriving in June.

Nice report.

Comment

nice report
      Airlines: XT,KL,SN,ACA,DL,AF,TV,SN,OS,LX,WA,NW,FI,US,AW,CO,OH,OO,9W,AA,AE,FL,B6

Aircraft:AT4,B763,B734,A321,B743,FRJ,B763ER,B772,A343,B733,F70,MD80,AR8,A319,CRJ,F50,D10,D95,A333,B752,B762,ERD,B764,CR9,B77W,AB6,ATR,B717,E190

Airports: ANR,AMS,ATL,BRU,ATH,JFK,LGA,GSP,CDG,FCO,EWR,FAO,VIE,ZRH,MEM,DTW,KEF,PHL,CLT,IAH,MIA,JAX

Comment

Working...
      X