Your worst flight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your worst flight

Did you ever think your plane wouldn't reach the airport?

My worst flight was from Kreta back toStuttgart. Our plane was a Fokker 70 from a small Greek airline. I was sitting in the back of the aircraft on the right side. The engines didn't sound very well. After a hour or so in flight the right engine seemed to be switched off for a few seconds, but started working "normaly" again. Someone on the flight said that there might be a problems with the fuel-pumps.
    The flight was horrible and ever since I don't feel that comfortable on planes anymore. I'm not scarred of flying, but I'm happy when the plane lands safely.
    Andy

My worst flight has to have been an AirTran flight from MLI to ATL on an MLI-FLL trip. It must have been some children deal going on in ATL, because there were about 25 children under 10. I wish that they could have been tranquilized. First came screaming because their ears hurt when we took off and some were scared of the DC-9's engines. After the Fasten Seatbelt Sign was off, about 6-8 at a time were runnign in the aisle. Then there was whining because some were hungry and some were scared and on and on. The FA's were hardly able to keep any sort of order. Not even my window seat and CD player could keep my mind off of them. I was so glad when we landed. That has been my worst flight.
    It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

Comment

NationAir

Both flights I took with this useless excuse of an airline, now thankfully defunct, were horrible. Both were charters for National Defence.

The first was in Sep 87 from Vancouver to Trenton, Ontario with stops in Edmonton, Winnipeg and Ottawa en route-the Forces "milk run". The aircraft was a DC-8-61 configured for 250 seats, which was chartered at the last minute to replace the Air Force 707 that normally flew the route, thus there were another 80 seats available at the last minute and my Air Canada reservation was cancelled due to an overly efficient clerk somewhere. There was a slight delay leaving Vancouver because the first aircraft hit a goose inbound and was grounded, thus we had to wait while they flew in a replacement from Montreal, which took all day, so we ended up flying all night. What a dumpy, filthy aircraft, it vibrated something wicked on takeoff, and I was not surprised to hear one crashed on takeoff flying a Haj flight a couple of years later when the Captain retracted burning tires into the wing and lit it afire killing all 259 aboard.

The second time around, Aug 92, was a 757-200 from Lahr, Germany (near Strasbourg, France) to Ottawa, non stop. Trust me eight hours on a 757 seating 228 is not fun and I am 5'5". For a less than ten year old aircraft, this was the pits, even dirtier than the first time, and the flight attendants were even wearing dirty uniforms. To top it off I was in considerable pain having injured my neck parachuting, before leaving Canada. The only positive thing was that we made the 3900 miles or thereabouts westbound without a stop to refuel, which we had been warned might happen depending on the headwinds, which would have prolonged the misery even further.

NationAir went belly up the following year, and is not missed.
      ________
      SANTERIA DICUSSION

Comment

I have been on a couple "unusual flights" but I wouldn't consider them bad because any flight in my opinion is an awesome experience. Anyways here goes.
        The first time was on a Comair CRJ-200 out of Cincinnati. The aircraft was the special 100th CRJ paint job with the flag and stars on it. What happened was when we started down the runway the plane just did not seem to pick up that extra bit of speed and the pilot raised the nose and quickly slammed it down with full thrust reversers and spoilers deployed. The plane over ran the threshold and on to the displaced part. The crew got on later and said that the aircraft was not properly configured for take-off. So as an end result we waited an hour to get another plane and continue on to Bangor Maine.
        My second odd experience was on another CRJ to from Cincinnati to Bangor. It was July 3 because I remember some of the smaller Maine towns had their fireworks going off. We encountered a severe thunderstorm which was surrounding Bangor and blocked are decent. So the pilot got on and said "I think we got an idea on how to get through this". What his idea was to keep at cruising altitude till over Bangor. Then we did a STEEP spiraling decent over the airport and all we could see was lightning around us. Worst turbulence I have ever had in my life.
        Even with these two flights the CRJ is still my favorite airliner. Call me crazy but they just do something for me.
        Try to catch me flyin dirty...

Comment

My worst flight I think was in 1997 on Air Transat flight 151 from Rome Ciampino to Montreal Mirabel via Paris. We took off from CIA on a hot sunny day for a short flight to CDG. The reason we were landing in CDG was to fuel up and then head direct to YMX. Once we landed in CDG the pilot said we would stay for 45 min. and then be on our way. Once the engines went off it really started to get hot in the plane!! after 30 min. everyone was fanning themselves and one old woman fainted! She was taken off the plane and checked out. 45 min later the pilot came on and said we were having a mechanical problem so we stayed another 30 min!! It was the worst feeling ever! Finally we taxiied out and took off. 6 hours later as we were approaching the canadian coastline the pilot came on and said we would have to land in Gander to fuel up! I was hoping it was a joke but I saw us getting closer to the ground and we touched down in Gander. Luckily it was cooler and we didn't stay that long! When we landed in YMX the passangers started clapping and we all felt relieved to be home. I must say that was the worst flight of my life.
          YuL_aIrPlAnE_fReAk

Bienvenue à bord les ailes d'Air Transat!

Comment

YUL.....must have been one of their 757s? I have never flown Air TransAt but their reputation is not very good formany reasons. My parents flew back from Paris to Toronto with them and they had to stop in Moncton, NB of all places to drop off pax. For the money saved over a scheduled airline it is not worth it, unless the regulars do not fly there direct, eg many sun destinations.

This is the same airline with ten across seating in their 1011s, and nine across in their 330s. If there was a way to squeeze in seven across on a 757 they would do that too.
            ________
            ALASKA MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES

Comment

Worst flight as I said in the aviation forum, a Saudia L1011 in 1998. I can't remember if the seating layout was 9 or 10-abreast. Anyway, it as a crammed flight. The plane was of early 70s vintage and the entire flight was bumpy. I wanted to sleep to help the time go by quicker but the uncomfortable chair and constant turbulence hindered that. At least it was a brief domestic run. Imagine the poor souls who must ride one of those piles of tin up to Europe. Ehhh. Oh boy, you shoulda seen the plane on the outside. It was about as clean as an Air France A340 .

Comment

I also remember back when I lived in Brussels some of the Sabena flights were pretty horrible too. Namely the old 732s on intra-european routes. The PW engines were unbelievably loud and there was a constant smell of jet fuel. To some that may be nice, but to me it gave me a splitting headache. Well, born in '85 I guess I'm used to modern jets. Come to think of it, none of my trips on Sabena have been special. I can't say I was sad to see them go under in October 2001.

Would you believe it, I've never hitherto posted in this forum.

Comment

hey a78jumper! actually we flew on the L1011. Thank god it wasn't the 757! My parents took the Air Transat 757 to St-Maarten and they felt like sardines in there!
                  YuL_aIrPlAnE_fReAk

Bienvenue à bord les ailes d'Air Transat!

Comment

United Airlines flight #178 on Decemember 28th, 1978. Denver (DEN) to Portland, OR (PDX). That DC-8-62 run out of gas and I had to take the Concord to my final destination of Seattle. Lance they never flew Concords from Portland to Seattle!! You LIAR!!! Yes, they did! Those Concords where made by American Motors! Soon to be a French (Renault) company! So there!

Comment

I've never really had a worst flight - maybe its because i really like turbulence! I hate absolutely smooth flights. There has to be some excitement - turbulence provides it. So i guess this post, even though it may qualify as a "worst-flight", was not really bad. It was great fun!!!

I was flying to Bombay from Delhi by Indian Airlines in August. Thats like typhoon time in Bombay. As a result, just as we were beginning our descent into Bombay, we hit some r-e-a-l-l-y mean turbulence. The plane was shaking around like nobody's business. To top it all, there was a some lightning, and lotsa thunder. The passengers really had their pants scared of them. My brother and I got quite a kick out of it all.

Yes-we did land safely.

A flight that i would consider "not-so-good" (keep in mind i have not used the word bad ) was when I was flying by a now defunct airline called EastWest Airlines in India. There was a slight smell of jetfuel, which gave me a bit of a headache, but thankfully the food was great, and so that compensated for whtever smell of jet fuel there was. Needless to say my headache soon disappeared.

Flying is fun man - how can u have a bad flight!!
                      "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Worst Flight:
                        April 1997 FLL-DFW-MCI
                        We arrived at FLL to find that due to weather, our flight to DFW would be departing 3 hours late, which was not bad, but more than enough time to wait in the hot, cramped airport. We finally boarded the MD-80 and made our way to stormy DFW. We circled very low, which was kinda scary due to all the lightning and heavy rain, but really interesting. We landed in DFW and found out our flight was delayed 4 hours to MCI (it was supposed to leave 2 hours before). Well, we made our way to McDonalds for some grub, and on the way back glanced at the Departures screen to see AA XXX to MCI-FINAL BOARDING. Well, we ran through half of DFW, and ran up to the counter at the gate looking like asses, telling them to hold the plane. AA agent "ummm, your plane hasnt even left wichita yet". Well, 4 hours turns to 7, and finally we board. Boarding meant nothing, we sat on the old, hot, humid, overpacked 727 for another 1 1/2 hours!!! Finally the captain comes on the intercom "Well folks, we have clearence to leave, but this flight crew is not legal to fly any more, we have a crew inbound from MIA to get you to MCI". He was not kidding, the crew left and we waited for our MIA crew. After 45 mins they arrived. It was now 1:30am *my birthday*. I told the f/a it was my birthday, and she was really nice, giving me 2 packs of pretzels instead of one!! Well, long story made short, we landed at MCI at 3:15am, instead of our 6pm STA!!! Way to go AA!!!!
                        Packin more nuts than Delta Airlines
                        -PT-

Comment

I never had something I would call 'my worst flight', and never had any reason to believe we wouldn't make it. A couple of turbulent flights, some crampy ones, a couple of major delays, but that's it. Most of my over 200 flights were pleasant trips. Only a couple of F/As that were a pain in the a.., one Swissair one onboard a Delta flight, a CityFlyer Express one who had something against my digital camera, and plenty of arrogant and snobbish Swissair F/As. Otherwise no complaints, I love flying.

Regards,
                          Peter

Comment

I want to tell you about another bad trip I had. It wasn't my worst, but it was also a relly bad flight. This time it wasn't about the plane. On my flight from Santiago de Chile to Madrid (about 13 h) there was a crying baby on board. It was horrible. The baby was crying all nearly all the time.
                            Andy

Comment

I have only flown once and it was really bad on the way there 3 kids in front of me were screming and throwing stuff around, and on the flight back to manchester I had to site next to a kid who was sick all over me!!

Joe,
                              | My Photos | My Profile |

Comment

Working...
                              X