Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flight review: Sydney Intl (yssy) to Melbourne Tullamarine

Hello enthusiasts,
    I would just like to share with you my experience of flying Qantas airways boeing 767-300 from Sydney International to Melbourne Tullamarine.

It was a cold morning but for aviation I was willing to get up early, I was able to stay down in a sydney hotel the night before so that meant a get up of 3:00am in the morning.

VH-ZXC parked at the gate awaiting pax to board approximately 45 mins before our scheduled departure, the a/c had just landed from an international flight.

unfortunately after requesting a window seat I was given a window seat....just without a window: bugger. Anyhows we were five minutes late with pushback (which is good for QF) and taxied out to runway 16R for the kampi one departure route. Unfortunately we had to wait behind a company QF 747-400 to depart on rwy 16R which was heading for los angeles as QF107 non-stop, this only took a matter on minutes.

About five minutes later we lined up on runway 16R and full power was applied to engines 1 and 2...boy it was a low powered flight (because the a/c only had 12 tonnes of fuel onboard). About 3 seconds after rotating away from the runway I managed to get a peek out one of the windows and noticed some very awesome streams of ionised air particles escaping from the engines pylons which created an awesome white slipstream effect over the leading edge wing.

As the flight progressed we were greeted with the usual QF cabin staff who were quite nice offering breakie which was ok...for QF. I looked back again at the city of sydney to see some cliffs being illuminated with sunlight which just created an aurora effect with the leading edge of the wings.

As we reached crusing altitude of FL280 (28,000 feet) we accelerated up to 820 km.h or 227 meters/sec. The flight progressed quickly and we were soon on our descent into melbourne tullamarine.

After landing we were held short of the gate due to a Malaysian 747 pushing back for an international flight but I took one last scan accross the airport and on the south side I saw a mass of Ansett 767s, BAe-146 200s and a spectacle of what was once aviation history.

After disembarking the aircraft I went to avalon airshow 2003 !!!!

THE END...

P.S - this is the first flight/trip report I have ever composed as I thought they took too long to write!!!

Look forward to writing more..

Mark Nicol
    Regards,
    M. Nicol (JetPhotos.net Photographer...)
    <a href="http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1395">Click Here To
    View My Aircraft Pictures On JP.Net!</a>

Nice report, Mark, but how could you watch the city of Sydney when you had no window at your seat?

Regards,
    Peter

Comment

hello.
      Aerpix in reply to your question, I just simply leaned by head rearward and watched out a small percentage of the window of the passenger sitting behind me...As I had my head near 180 degrees for the hole flight my neck was a bit sore at the conclusion of the flight

Regards,

Comment

Regards,
        Peter

Comment

Hi,
          Very good flight report. Does anybody know what QF's business class product is like?

Thanks

Thomas_Cook_757-200

Enjoy Every Moment

Comment

For us on the other side of the blue ball, how long is the flight from Sydney to Melbourne?

thanks for the report

Comment

[quote="Thomas_Cook_757-200"]Does anybody know what QF's business class product is like?[quote]

I believe Aussie767's avatar displays two Qantas business class seats. Very nice seats indeed.

Comment

Thomas Cook 757-200, In response to your question I believe Aussie767's avatar displays two Qantas business class seats. Very nice seats indeed.

Comment

Thomas Cook 757-200, In response to your question I believe Aussie767's avatar displays two Qantas business class seats. Very nice seats indeed.

Comment

Hi,
                    Thanks for your help.

Thanks

Thomas_Cook_757-200

Enjoy Every Moment

Comment

Mark, departing to Melbourne from Runway 16R the Deena 3 departure is normally used.
                      Thomas_Cook_757-200, you'll find information on Qantas' Business class here.
                      B767-338(ER) Business Class:

Comment

AJ,
                        When we took off departing to the south we actually used the KAMPI ONE departure route which is a right turn to heading 170 degrees almost immediately of passing the threshold of the other end of the runway.

When flying economy on QF 767s they are flash, not very comfortable basically you are just paying for the transport which brings me to my next answer because the flight from sydney to melbourne only takes 1 hour and 10 mins even though it is down on the timetable for 1.5 hrs

Cheers,

Mark Nicol
                        Regards,

Comment

The KAMPI and DEENA departures are identical (DUNES-DEENA-KAMPI) except the DEENA departure provides a WOL, KAT or RIC transition, WOL is used for flights going to Melbourne. The DEENA 3 turns right to track to DUNES (on the 170 radial SY) then left to track out to DEENA and KAMPI, then right to WOL. I've only ever been given the KAMPI when going to New Zealand from 16R.
                          Check out page two of this link.

Comment

Thanks AJ

Enjoy Every Moment

Comment

Working...
                            X