YOW-YVR-PVG PVG-YVR-YOW Air Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YOW-YVR-PVG PVG-YVR-YOW Air Canada

This flight was from last summer so I can’t remember all the details. I apologize.

We arrived at Ottawa International Airport early because we thought post-9/11 security line-ups would be long. The small airport was filled to the brink with summer holiday travelers. The few Air Canada check-in counters at YOW were not close to enough to accommodate all the passengers. The airline assistants advised us to use the E-ticket Check-in Machines. So we leave the huge line up and try to check in using the E-tickets. However, for reasons the airline assistants couldn’t explain it didn’t work, so we had to go back to the end of the line for normal check-in. Fifty minutes later, my parents and I checked in, we went upstairs for security checks. Another shocking line-up greeted us. After thirty minutes, we received priority security checks because our flight was about to depart.

We boarded the almost full 767-200. The ex-Canadian Airlines still needed to get the lettering repainted. The plane was dirty inside. Breadcrumbs and old, faded seat-covers weren’t too inviting. My parents had seats together but I had a seat by myself a couple of rows up, so that was alright. After storing my carry-ons, I settled down and couldn’t help but overhear the passenger behind me on his cell phone: “…honey, I don’t want to die. I don’t want to die! Honey, I don’t want to be on this plane. I have a horrifying feeling about this flight. Honey, tell me we won’t crash, tell me I’ll be fine…” Thanks, how comforting.

I had put on my earphones so I wouldn’t hear his sobbing and whining anymore. Pre-departure checks were conducted. Safety procedures were reviewed on the overhead TVs. The captain announced the end of all electronic use. I turned off my mp3 player to find out the person behind me was still whining. He didn’t stop talking on his cell-phone until forced by the flight attendant. I remember clearly, his last words were “…honey, I don’t want this to be another 9/11 plane.” Great, we are cursed for good now!

A short taxi to the runway, during which I noticed one of the overhead TVs trembled so badly it looked like it was going to fall down any second. The apron was dominated by Air Canada jets, mostly A320s. After take off the flight was rather normal. I appreciated the flight data/maps and movie and news reports that played on the TVs. Lunch was served and it was pretty good. The service was generally ok. We arrived in YVR more or less on time. We rushed to the “Connecting Flights” area where we found the 767-300ER we were going to be on. So unfair, YVR-Beijing and YVR-Hong Kong are both serviced by larger jets, but I’m stuck with another 767.

The flight to PVG was not bad at all. Before take-off I noticed the clean interior of the non-exCanadian plane. The apron at Vancouver was very busy. JAL, UA, NWA, AA, DL, CO, LH, others and mainly AC. We departed on time. This time I had a window seat with my parents. Another movie played. Another meal served. Generally good service (does AC care about how their FAs present the Airline? – really old men that barely fit into the aisles served us…).

We arrived in PVG right on time. The new airport was fairly empty. A LH747 and a couple of Air China 747s. The terminal is awesome. New, clean, big and blue…fantastic. The design and architecture is awesome as well. Baggage claim, customs, and before long we were out of the nice terminal, though I’d liked to have stayed longer.

A few weeks later the return trip. My dad had flown back to YOW a couple days before, so it was just my mom and I this time. We arrived at the perfect Shanghai Pudong terminal. The new airport was anything but busy. The whole day’s departures fitted on two screens! I spent some time exploring the grand terminal since we were early. Huge glass panels allowed you to see airplanes even before check-in. After a while, we lined up at check-in and I saw a huge line-up forming slowly behind us. Whoa…the line-up just kept on getting longer. How can all of us fit on a 767? Just then another Air Canada announcement came on, something to the extend of: “Attention passengers for Air Canada flight AC????. Due to computer error, this flight is overbooked. We ask that some passengers volunteer to fly tomorrow instead. As a compensation we will offer $300 in cash or $600 in Air Canada Ticketing Credit per customer. You can store your luggage at the airport for free. You will receive a luxury coach transportation to the 4-star All Nippon Airways Travel Hotel, where you will stay overnight and enjoy a free dinner and buffet breakfast. Compliments of Air Canada.” My mom was thrilled. She wanted to stay longer in Shanghai anyways. I didn’t mind a longer vacation either! We stored our luggage with the other passengers that volunteered. We boarded the coach to the ANA hotel and stayed overnight. The 4-star hotel was magnificent. The food was fantastic. We arrived back at Pudong the next day. We picked up our luggage and the total of $1200 travel cheque, then we proceeded to check-in again. Another shocking line-up at the AC counters and I wondered how we were all going to fit. But the passengers that were supposed to be on the day before’s flight were ushered to the All Nippon Airways check-in counters. We all received first class tickets on the ANA 777-200 to Osaka. I was so happy. I always wanted to fly ANA and a 777, together would be even better! Soon we all boarded the ANA 777. Business class was fantastic. The PTVs had the best entertainment ever. Great movies, video games, flight dad/maps, Cockpit cam view, everything! The Japanese flight attendants were very pretty. The Japanese food was also great. Thank you Air Canada for screwing up!

We arrived in Osaka Kansai on time but with little time to spare to catch the AC747-400 to Vancouver. I noticed that the terminal at Osaka was great-looking as well. Another great design and another great architecture. This airport was a lot busier, though. As soon as we boarded the economy class of the Air Canada plane, I realized we were back to normal-land. Mediocre service and seats. Out the window, I could see a LH747, a CX340, and a horde of ANA777s, just to name a few of my favorites. Shortly, we departed. A rather boring flight back to Vancouver. Everything was fine, but not great. Another movie, another meal, and we landed in Vancouver. We went through customs and rushed to the 767-200 that would take us back to Ottawa. By this time I was so tired. I slept all through the final segment of my flight. Finally, late at night, we landed in Ottawa. How nice it was to be home again.

Hope I didn’t bore you guys too much. Please respond. Questions and comments are more than welcome.

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

here are some pictures of the beautiful Shanghai Pudong Airport

Click Here for larger pic

By responding, you encourage us to write more reports..

Comment

Thanks, 777-400 for another nice report in this forum. I start liking those trip reports, as they give a pretty good image of how flights on certain airlines are.

I would also have surrendered my seat for 600 Dollars, and stayed one night more in a 4-star hotel. I am sure you and your mom enjoyed this as much as I would have.

Hope to see more reports from you.

Regards,
      Peter

Comment

If it was a 767-200 from YOW-YVR it was not ex Canadian; their 767s were exclusively 300ERs. The 200s always were Air Canada's. I suspect it was a 300ER as that is what is showing for the morning and night flights to YVR from YOW.
        ________
        Milf chinese

Comment

Oh, my bad...but I'm pretty sure the late-night return trip (YVR-YOW) was a -200, it seemed smaller...

Comment

Great and interesting report

I also hate passenger who say: "We will crash" or something like this. The worst thing I've experienced was when we flew with SQ from Singapore to Frankfurt. A few days before there was the SQ 747-400 crash in Taipei. A girl I travelled with was really annoying. She keept on saying how afraid she was. It's OK if someone is afraid but he or she doesn't need to repeat saying it nearly every minute.

It seems like you saw a LH 747 on every airport. Good to hear.
            Andy

Comment

I was really suprised, too. They get around...the LH747s...HAHA

Comment

Those people are fun when they sit next to you and you are reading Air Disaster volumes 1-4. Nice report.

Comment

HAHAHAHA

Comment

Hey 777-400, great report. Your report effectively answers my question as to how good ANA is!

Comment

Trust me, they are awesome. My favourite! (after LH of course, hehe)

Comment

Working...
                      X