DL/AF CMH-JFK-CDG-STR...Well, Maybe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DL/AF CMH-JFK-CDG-STR...Well, Maybe.

(For those wondering if this is the same trip report I did on A.net...it is. I had 30+ pictures that I could've used for this report, but all but one were deleted through my dad's anger at forgetting a memory card... I do have one shot of the 777 that I'll add when I get home.)

I've traveled a lot in my life, but this trip to Europe had to be the most insane sequence of events I've ever dealt with...

We got to CMH around 12 noon for our 2:45 flight to JFK. We cleared security & went to the gate, where just before boarding, we were told there was a ground stop for our first flight.

DL 6444 CMH-JFK
    ERJ-145 N563RP
    July 31, 2004
    [photoid=6186]

We were paged to the desk & told that we weren't going to make our connection. No go to JFK today (which would've been my first time in NYC )So we left the terminal & headed for DL's Ticket Counter, got in line & started the process of trying to figure out where & when we'd be flying out. After a process which included my already aggrevated mom getting furious & us not being sure we'd even get overseas on that day, we scrambled to gate C55 for

DL 1485 CMH-CVG
    757-200 N628DL
    July 31, 2004
    [photoid=308391]

This flight was slated to leave at 5:05pm, so my parents told me to sprint to the gate while they picked up the carry-ons from security. I ran as hard as I could....only to see that our 757 was touching down on 10L. N668DL, which was delayed from earlier, was at C56. We were able to get on this flight & the plane taxied out in the pouring rain for Rwy 10L. After a WN 737 took off, it was our turn. We went into position & the "buzzsaw" whine came to life, a bit different sounding than before, but still as sweet.

3 minutes into the flight, we heard an announcement that we'd begin our decent into CVG. We didn't go very high, and as a result of that & the weather in the area, we got rocked. After a very brief hop to CVG & heard our flight would leave B5, we touched down, and taxied into the gate, to start the next period of holding our breath as to whether or not we'd get on. On the way into the gate, I saw a DL 777 & thought "Could that be ours...?" We deplaned, headed through CVG's terminal which I was in for the first time since 1998, and when we got to the Int'l section of the airport, I looked left. Was my first 777 trip to be after all?

It was!

DL 44 CVG-CDG
    777-200 (first 777 flight!) N866DA
    July 31, 2004
    [photoid=258871]

My mom ran up to the desk at B5, as at this point, we still weren't sure whether or not we'd be on this flight. We were indeed confirmed, and finally, I was getting a 777 flight!

We were some of the last to board & I took my seat, 46A. After a slight delay because of delayed incoming passengers, we pushed back & the safety video ran both on the wall screens & the PTVs. We pushed, taxied & then started what was a loud takeoff roll into the skies over Kentucky. I was watching the takeoff through the window, although my brother said that once we were up, the Airshow had a pop-up that said "We're off!", which I thought was cool. I then turned on the Airshow on my PTV & watched it for a while. I saw "Dillon Lake" as one of the points on the map, which was neat because it's only about 10 miles from where I live. We went between this point & CMH on the map.

We climbed at first to FL280, and I noticed it was a cloudy day below. Then, we went up to FL370 & later 390. PTVs came on & I watched "Envy", "Whose Line is it Anyway?", and later in the flight, "Hellboy". I saw at about 2hrs 45 minutes into the flight that someone in uniform went from the back of the plane forward...could this have been an International Relief Officer/relief pilot?

After a long flight, we started into CDG. Customs forms were passed out, but we were headed to STR, so we didn't require these. We arrived after 7hrs & 15 minutes, deplaned using buses & headed to our last flight.

AF 1708 (first AF flight) CDG-STR
    737-500 (first 735 flight) F-GJNE
    August 1, 2004
    [photoid=314494]

We got to a lower level gate, D79 I think, and after a short wait, boarded the bus & headed to our 737-500. After a multi-lingual safety briefing, we took off. Looking down, I saw the section of CDG's 2F that collapsed & gazed in awe. The cabin on this 735 was somewhat worn, but in decent shape. We got a drink & brownie (I think) service, and shortly after, we landed at STR...not much to tell on this flight. We taxied back & stopped on the ramp for about 10 minutes waiting for a gate to open. It did, we headed in & called it a day. We went to baggage claim...to find no luggage. We expected this because of the screwup in CMH. We took a cab to our hotel after reporting it missing.

It turned out the bags never left JFK, and were sent after they were reported missing. We got them the next afternoon.

Long trip, long report...but thanks for reading. The return, AMS-CVG-CMH when I get home!

DeltaRules

http://www.flightlevel350.com/aviati...r=Josh+Sprague

DL/AF CMH-JFK-CDG-STR...Well, Maybe.

Nice report. Too bad about the wx-related schedule change, but hey, you got a 777 as a compensation. Plus, you don't get too many chances to ride a 757 on such a short hop as CMH-CVG .

-Colin

Comment

Actually, my 777 ride was saved. It was supposed to be with AF out of CDG & I didn't think they (DL) operated it out of CVG...but they did!

DeltaRules

Comment

Nice report!

-Pete
        Pete Ganabathi
        Embry Riddle Aeronautical University

Fly Frontier Airlines - A Whole Different Animal

Comment

nice report

the CDG terminal that Collapsed is 2e i.o 2F
          Airlines: XT,KL,SN,ACA,DL,AF,TV,SN,OS,LX,WA,NW,FI,US,AW,CO,OH,OO,9W,AA,AE,FL,B6

Aircraft:AT4,B763,B734,A321,B743,FRJ,B763ER,B772,A343,B733,F70,MD80,AR8,A319,CRJ,F50,D10,D95,A333,B752,B762,ERD,B764,CR9,B77W,AB6,ATR,B717,E190

Airports: ANR,AMS,ATL,BRU,ATH,JFK,LGA,GSP,CDG,FCO,EWR,FAO,VIE,ZRH,MEM,DTW,KEF,PHL,CLT,IAH,MIA,JAX

Comment

Thanks for the comments.

Airfrancefan- thanks for correcting me on the CDG Terminal that collapsed...I wasn't sure it was 2F, but put it anyway.

DeltaRules

Comment

your welcome
              Airlines: XT,KL,SN,ACA,DL,AF,TV,SN,OS,LX,WA,NW,FI,US,AW,CO,OH,OO,9W,AA,AE,FL,B6

Aircraft:AT4,B763,B734,A321,B743,FRJ,B763ER,B772,A343,B733,F70,MD80,AR8,A319,CRJ,F50,D10,D95,A333,B752,B762,ERD,B764,CR9,B77W,AB6,ATR,B717,E190

Airports: ANR,AMS,ATL,BRU,ATH,JFK,LGA,GSP,CDG,FCO,EWR,FAO,VIE,ZRH,MEM,DTW,KEF,PHL,CLT,IAH,MIA,JAX

Comment

Re:

Nice review! How'd you like CDG?

Foxtrot

Comment

Foxtrot- The terminal I was in this trip seemed to be pretty nice...had nothing wrong with it. The other terminal (where I was in 2000 on US Airways) was a bit more run-down & looked like it needed a bit of repair. The tubes that connect different areas of the main terminal were pretty cool though.

DeltaRules

Comment

Working...
                  X