Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TransAtlantic 757 (CO EWR-OSL-EWR - Long)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TransAtlantic 757 (CO EWR-OSL-EWR - Long)

***Note: My first trip report***

Preface:
    Well, after months of preperation the day finally came. My vacation to Norway and Sweden. My first TransAtlantic flight across the mighty ocean and my first time to the place I always wanted to go to, Scandanavia!

Getting from Westchester, NY to Newark is a hassle with the long drive it can easily take 2 hours with the long traffic which occurs on the New Jersey Turnpike. We got to the airport area at around 5 o' clock and we dropped off my mother and brother at the checkin area and me and my ded went to the long term parking lot and then took the long journey to Scandanavia!

Checkin:
    Checkin at Newark was slow with many other European departures leaving within a few hours of each other, the airport was crowded with people. Many passangers were going to Manchester and London, England. Once we got up to the desk, the robotic agent gave us our tickets and put the bags to the conveyer belt.

Newark Airport
    I have been to Newark Airport before, but everytime I always end up at a different part. Their were a couple of shops that I went into, and checked out the magazines at one of the convience stores. Their arent many choices of restaurants in the airport, their is one McDonalds and this 50's style restaurant and thats it. The bathrooms also need a revamp.

The Flight
    Tuesday, August 23, 2004

Scheduled Departure Time: 8:00pm
    Actual Departure Time: 8:20pm

Scheduled Arrival Time: 9:45am
    Actual Arrival Time: 9:15am

Scheduled Flight Time: 7:45hours (ouch! )

Aircraft: Boeing 757-200
    Minutes of Sleep: 0
    Takeoff Runway: 22R
    Landing Runway: 1R

Once at the gate, I believe C80, I sat down and watch the San Juan flight depart, it was a 737-800 and looked to be full. The 757 pulled into the gate right after. Right behind it at the international terminal their was a BA 777, Singapore A340-500 ( ), LOT 767-300ER, and Air France A340. The gate area filled up with people, although not a lot were Norweigans, I was kinda suprised and very few kids were on this flight. I boarded the plane to my seat 22A where a pillow and blanket awaited. After everyone boarded on this 85% full flight, the cabin was ready and the catering truck lowered. After a very brief taxi, where their was no wait, we were off! I did notice the takeoff was quite long, about 40 seconds or so.

After takeoff the movie screens plopped down and we started a long journey to Scandanavia. The lights brightly stayed on and my dad read the New York Times. The movie Cheaper by the dozen played as the flight attendents went down the aisles to provide meal and drink services.

The meal and drink service was good. The meal which consisted of either Chicken or Beef (I had the former), which came with pasta, mixed vegetables, bread and butter, mixed greens, and a small slice of cake.

After the movie was over the flight attendents dimmed the lights and hid in the galley. The next thing they showed were television shows including Frasier, which although funny was very stupid. As the flight continued the flight attendents went throughout the cabin and offered water, which I thought was very nice.

After trying to go to sleep and reading the inflight magazine, I opened the windowshade and saw the crack of daylight, by now some stupid CNN interview was showing, and very unentertaining. After a few more hours the lights turned on and everyone woke up for breakfast, approx: 1:20 minutes out of Oslo Gardermoen Airport. Breakfast consisted of a croissant, drink of choice and some fruit. By now the airshow was on, showing us between Scotland and the Faroe islands. After 45 minutes, we hit Norway around Bergen and I could see Flesland Airport and the city (I would be their in a week) and the beautiful countryside of Norway, about halfway over, we started our descent from 37,000feet eventually landing on 1R in Gerdermoen Airport. I saw a lot of airlines including:
    - Air Greenland - 757
    - Braathens - 737-500/700
    - Norwegian - 737-300
    - SAS - MD80 B737-600/700/800 A321
    + MORE

After going through gate 53 and the glass jetway I was finally their, after picking up my bags and going through the so called 'customs' aka: a dog sniffing your bags, I went to the SAS checkin for my flight to Stockholm. - (That report will be only given if their is demand.)

After taking the FlyToget from Oslo Central Station to the airport, I got up the elevator to the departures hall and was stuck with a long line. Please dont let it be Continental!, I said, and guess what my luck it was for the flight to Newark aboard Continentals B 757 making this flight 95% full. Luckily the BussinessFirst agent took us from the long economy line. I noticed ServisAir handles their flights here in Oslo, and the nice blonde Norweigan gave us our tickets. I was dissapointed when we were moveed up over the wing, so it would be harder to see, but it still allowed us to keep the 2 x 2 configuration we wanted. Security was a breeze and we headed to the gate after the duty free shopping of course! By the time we got to gate 53 it was already boarding time and a good number of people were already on the plane. Next to us was a Lotus Air A320 heading to Egypt and and Air Malta A320. After the short taxi to the runway I noticed this Braathens plane with a weird tail, it must be a new colorscheme?

Friday, September 3, 2004

Scheduled Departure Time: 11:15am
    Actual Departure Time: 11:25am

Scheduled Arrival Time: 1:50pm
    Actual Arrival Time: 1:25pm

Scheduled Flight Time: 8:35hours (Ouch! )

Aircraft: Boeing 757-200
    Minutes of Sleep: 0
    Takeoff Runway: 1L
    Landing Runway: 22L

After takeoff we headed to the north before turning west to the Atlantic ocean. The flight attendents did not get up for 30 munutes until we were nearly over water. AFter a while the movie screens plopped down for the movie The Tuxedo with Jackie Chan. It was ok, nothing special.

During the movie we got served lunch which was either Beef or Chicken Cordon Bleu. I again chose the former and got served Beef with potato's, vegetables, salad, bread and butter and a slice of cake. By the time the second movie started called Old School we were over Iceland. It looked nice from the air and probably nicer on the ground . After a while, during the movie we passed over the middle of Greenland for about an hour until we reached northern Canada. By now some T.V. episodes were on. We made a sharp swerve south and headed straight towards Newark. As we got further south it got bumpier and bumpier with the clouds covering the entire sky until New York State, where we recieved a snack of a Chicken Sandwich, cake and chocolate piece, it was ok.

They played My Wife and Kids and another sitcom, until CNN where the captain announced we were 85 miles from the airport, soon their after Newburgh (KSWF) came in sight. We descended fast and flew parallel to the Hudson River and Manhatten till we reached Newark when we lined up for the ILS at 22L. After 8:20minutes I was tired and my legs hurt but we still needed to go through customs and immigration which was a breeze, and our bags which took 20 minutes.

After all of that we headed to the car and drove off

Would I fly the 757 again Transatlantic?

Yes, for convience to fly to smaller European cities without a connection. Although it feels weird and is clausterphobic it allows the quick connections of flights from place to place. The one downside is when you go down to the bathroom the aisles are full with the carts and you have to wait until the flight attendents move past your row.

Thank You so Much for reading my report leave comments below.
    - The baby will be back -

Great report Never really thought of a 752 doing trans-Atlantic.
    You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

Great trip report!!

It was especially of interest to me since I hope to make a trip to Norway some time in the future. Norway is of interest to me since my family background is Norwegian on my mother's side of the family.
      Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Well done .

By the way, do you know if the B757-300 can fly to Oslo from Newark non-stop ? Thanks.
        Alitalia > Always Late In Take-off Always Late In Arrival
        American Airlines > Always Awful
        PAL - phillippine airlines > Plane Always Late
        BWIA > But Will It Arrives
        CAAC > Crash All Around China / Chinese Airliners Always Crash
        JAL - Japan Airlines > Just Another Loser
        QANTAS > Quick And Nasty Transport Australian Style
        TWA - Trans World Airlines > Terrorist Welcome Aboard / The Worst Airline
        UTA > Unlikely To Arrive
        MAS - Malaysia Airlines > Money And Sex
        SIA - Singapore Airlines > Stupid Idiots Aboard
        Aufganza mīntīdok orija zuedkaj upps'shaff fīnstrok dīr dcuber sakundar.

Comment

EWR- Olso is 7.5 and 8.3 hrs on 752? What the?

Isnt fly from EWR to Europe under 6 hrs?

I was on LH 747-400 to FRA from DEN was only 8.1 hrs.

Comment

Originally posted by pbateson
            EWR- Olso is 7.5 and 8.3 hrs on 752? What the?

Isnt fly from EWR to Europe under 6 hrs?

I was on LH 747-400 to FRA from DEN was only 8.1 hrs.
            It depends ...... headwind etc.
            Alitalia > Always Late In Take-off Always Late In Arrival
            American Airlines > Always Awful
            PAL - phillippine airlines > Plane Always Late
            BWIA > But Will It Arrives
            CAAC > Crash All Around China / Chinese Airliners Always Crash
            JAL - Japan Airlines > Just Another Loser
            QANTAS > Quick And Nasty Transport Australian Style
            TWA - Trans World Airlines > Terrorist Welcome Aboard / The Worst Airline
            UTA > Unlikely To Arrive
            MAS - Malaysia Airlines > Money And Sex
            SIA - Singapore Airlines > Stupid Idiots Aboard
            Aufganza mīntīdok orija zuedkaj upps'shaff fīnstrok dīr dcuber sakundar.

Comment

Nice Report! I flew the 752 with ATA from MDW-PHX-MDW and it was a great aircraft...don't know if I would do it internationally though!

Next Flights:

October 14, 2006 - Airtran MDW-MSP
              October 16, 2006 - Airtran MSP-MDW

Comment

Yes the flight is 7.5 and 8.35 minutes because of winds and the unique route it takes to get to OSLO its more northernly then other routes.

Comment

I flew on the 757-200 on a 5 hour flight from MAD-CAI and back. After experiencing that, I can honestly say that five hours is long enough on a 757. To make matters worse some of Iberia's workers were on strike so there were no headphones available on the CAI-MAD flight. I don't know how you were able to put up with being on a 757 for over 8 hours....
                  Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

It wasnt easy.

Comment

Working...
                    X