QF: MEL - SYD vv

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QF: MEL - SYD vv

Just a short flight review I took over the weekend.

3/09/04 – QF494, 763 Cityflyer

Traffic to Tullamarine was rather sombre, allowing a very quick 45 minute drive from Glen Waverley. Taking advantage of QF’s Valet Parking, we were very quickly handed our boarding passes once all formalities were completed with the car handover.

As we still had another good hour before the departure of CityFlyer QF494, we decided to have a couple of smokes before entering the terminal (to all those not familiar with Melbourne Airport, there are no smoking rooms in the International and Domestic terminals). Hungry Jacks (Burger King) was the fare for the evening. Really felt like something greasy to line the stomach before our long weekend of over-indulgence. I had a regular whooper value meal (AUS$5.95), but really could have gone a large…being the glutton that I am.

Boarding was spot on-time, with a flight load of 45% in Y and 80% in J. Alighting onto the plane was only through the main J-class galley door, and no proper privileges were given to business class or One World Frequent flyers. With such a light load, it wasn’t really much of an issue.
    With only an average flight time of 55 – 60 minutes (prevailing Northerly), I was not excessively uncomfortable in 55K (last row). Seating configurations were in a 2-3-2 setup in Y-class and 1-2-2 in J.

Pushback was ten minutes behind schedule, but due to a strong Northerly, estimated to arrive into Sydney on time. After a short seven minute taxi, we took off into the ether.

Our flight path took us over Albury and Canberra, where the first signs of an impending thunderstorm was seen. Glorious views of lightning stretching horizontally across the CB clouds were simply breathtaking. Wish I had my camera, alas we decided to leave it behind as we were in Sydney for a long drinking session and felt that a camera might slow us down.

A light snack was handed out, consisting of Orange & Mango juice, Cashew nuts, parmesan crostinis and fruit. Already semi-bloated from Hungry Jacks, I scoffed all down bar the cashews, which I kept for later.
    Kingford Smith came into view and looked resplendent on this Spring evening (storms had yet to hit Sydney at this stage). No warning of landing was given, with the only sign being the surprise disappearance of all FAs.

Smooth and calculated, landing was textbook.

5/09/2004 – QF455, 763 Cityflyer

Return leg on QF455 was not a friendly affair. Not due to any of QFs doing, merely the fact that I was suffering severely from a self-induced hangover. It didn’t help that our flight was delayed, thanks to a closing electrical storm.

Baggage handlers were asked to cease work and all arriving flights were not cleared for docking procedures (hence an ever increasing queue of QF aircrafts could be seen lining up beyond my line of sight). Had it not been for my rupturing headache, I would have enjoyed the view much more. As it stood, I just wanted to get home and roll into bed.

The storm cleared somewhat and all work had recommenced. Ten minutes before our estimated time of departure, our gates were changed from 6 to 17 (unrenovated). At our new gate, no plane was sighted. In fact, no plane was sighted for another 15 minutes. Announcements were very poorly relayed and were left in the lurch till boarding.

Like our outbound flight, boarding was in no particular order, and no special treatment was given to premium PAXs. Despite that, boarding was completed in under 20 minutes.

The first officer and captain both expressed sincere and heartfelt apologies for the delay and were on the way as soon as clearance was given. Taxi took over 15 minutes as there was a traffic jam on the tarmac, with three other company aircrafts waiting for TO.

Once we reached cruising altitude, the FAs kicked into action, swiftly handing out a light snack. IMPO, they should have served a hot meal/dinner as our original departure time had crept into the later meal-frame. With that said, the snack was suitable for an hour flight. Like the other flight, we got Berri Orange & Mango juice again, but were given Byron Bay Cookies (choc chip and honey & oatmeal cookies) instead. No fruits were offered.

This aircraft (City of Wollongong) was aesthetically in better condition than the last. Firstly, all the LCD screens were working and not flashing between colour and magenta. My armrest was not cracked and torn and the seats were in reasonable condition. All in all, suitable for a one hour flight.

During the entire flight, the captain and first officer were constantly updating us on our flight progress, destination weather conditions, information for transiting Jetstar and Qantas PAXs, etc. Once again, they expressed their apologies for the delay (all PAX knew that there was nothing they could have done).

The landing was smooth and expertly executed. We taxied to the gate but had to wait for seven minutes before we could disembark.
    We both headed straight to the Valet Parking, paid the fees (for all QFF, you can accrue 5 points for every dollar spent with the Valet parking – ex. Car wash).

That’s it. Short flight and a short review. My next flight will be the following:

QF: MEL – SYD
    QF: SYD – SIN
    MH: SIN – CAN

Will report more then.

This report was written on the fly and probably filled with spelling and grammatical errors and I apologise in advance. Still hope that you all enjoy a light read.

nice, i prefer the A330's than teh 763's................but its better than Virgin Poo
    Some people in today's society are so thick!

Comment

Hi Ansett,

Ditto. The price variance between Virgin and Qantas is minimal and am willing to pay that little extra for my points (FF and SC) and full service.

The A332 which they use for the longer domestic hauls are superb birds. However, the 763 is equally graceful and has done her service of duty with flying colours. Though all her innards need a bit of tuneup, everything rattles at the slightest shake.

Tim

Comment

Hi tiernan, I take it your return flight was in a Boeing 737-838, not a 767-300? BTW it's strong Southerlies that make a quick MEL-SYD flight

Good to hear you had a good night in Sydney!

Comment

Gday AJ,

Would have loved a 738, but alas flew on his older brother (763).

Rgds,
          Tim

Comment

Alitalia > Always Late In Take-off Always Late In Arrival
            American Airlines > Always Awful
            PAL - phillippine airlines > Plane Always Late
            BWIA > But Will It Arrives
            CAAC > Crash All Around China / Chinese Airliners Always Crash
            JAL - Japan Airlines > Just Another Loser
            QANTAS > Quick And Nasty Transport Australian Style
            TWA - Trans World Airlines > Terrorist Welcome Aboard / The Worst Airline
            UTA > Unlikely To Arrive
            MAS - Malaysia Airlines > Money And Sex
            SIA - Singapore Airlines > Stupid Idiots Aboard
            Aufganza m´nt´dok orija zuedkaj upps'shaff f´nstrok d´r dcuber sakundar.

Comment

Hey again Tim, the reason I ask is that the City of Wollongong is now a Boeing 737-838, it used to adorn Boeing 767-238(ER) VH-EAJ but that was retired quite a while ago!

Looking up the records it seems your flight (QF455) was operated by Boeing 767-338(ER) VH-OGH City of Parramatta.

Comment

Hi AJ,

There you go. Lapses in concerntration can so easily skew a report's validity.

Yes, I thought it strange that both a 738 and a 762 would have the same title. Thanks for the correction.

Rgds
                Tim

Comment

Originally posted by tiernan1338
                  Hi Ansett,

Ditto. The price variance between Virgin and Qantas is minimal and am willing to pay that little extra for my points (FF and SC) and full service.

The A332 which they use for the longer domestic hauls are superb birds. However, the 763 is equally graceful and has done her service of duty with flying colours. Though all her innards need a bit of tuneup, everything rattles at the slightest shake.

Tim
                  Yes i am willing to pay a bit extra for Qantas flights aswell becuase mainly you get free food, better seat accomodation and great service.

The A332 have done a couple of services on teh SYD- MEL sector then they go a MEL-PER which is always full when i fly.

The 767-300, are out of date but still they do there purposes great. I remember flying an Ansett 767-200 and hearing alot more than shakes and bangs . Qantas i guess are going to keep them for years to come.

Comment

Ansett,

I am hoping to fly the MEL - HKK sector sometime next year, just to enjoy flying on an A330 with the new skysuites.

Well, we were seated on the last (outbound) and second last (inbound) rows so everything appeared to be over emphasised...sounds were louder and rattles were more exaggerated. Much prefer it at the front of the plane.

Rgds
                    Tim

Comment

sounds great what model do you know -200 or -300?

Comment

Ansett,

Are you talking about the airbus or the boeing?

Rgds
                        Tim

Comment

sorry i meant the A330. I only have a 30mins lunch break, so i have to rush to the canteen grab a coffee and a bite to eat. Have a quick chat to the guys and spent 10mins talking to everyone on this board.

Comment

How much is the tickets for MEL-SYD return flight ? I have plans to fly on this route if I go to Australia end of this year.
                            Nothing beats the feeling of flying.

My plane photos in Jetphotos.net

Comment

sorry i meant the A330. I only have a 30mins lunch break, so i have to rush to the canteen grab a coffee and a bite to eat. Have a quick chat to the guys and spent 10mins talking to everyone on this board.
                              Well, if I was flying to HKG, I believe that QF uses the 330-338. Don't quote me on that as I haven't done that route with QF b4.

At least you have a half hour break. I start at 6:45am and knock off at 5:45pm on most days, without taking a break. At least I have constant broadband connection to the net.

Rgds
                              Tim

Comment

Working...
                              X