Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long and w/ pics; part 3

**Note: All times local**

(cont’d from Long and with pics-Part Two)
    After going ENE for about 7 minutes, we turned left, headed almost N for a while, then turned left again to join the selected jet route. Today’s flight path called for a NWstrly course, which would take us close to Amiens, then over north London (unfortunately, it was cloudy over this region as well, so no photos), then south of Birmingham, over the Atlantic of course, then over land again after going over the Labrador Basin (if you have no clue what that is, it’s the one just off the east coast of Canada, south of the Labrador Sea), then we would follow the Saint Lawrence Seaway down to just west of Toronto, then west of Cleveland. After passing Cleveland to the west, we would start descent to CVG. Lunch was served about an hour after takeoff. Since we had the special Asian Vegetarian meals, one of the FA’s came by and put a sticker with a number on it on out seats. Sorry, but I can’t provide details this time because I forgot to take the menu card along with me. But here’s what I remember it including: Chicken Breast served with an Orange-Ginger sauce and veggies, fruit, dinner roll with butter and preserves, and a salad. The other choice was Beef with stewed veggies, all the usual stuff and a moist chocolate mousse cake. Our Asian Veg meals weren’t that bad either. We had Basmati Rice, two Indian-style veggies, salad, Decantae water, a dinner roll with butter (Fruit D’or) and preserves, and cheese with crackers. Everything was pretty good and it was a filling meal, but the salad gets poor marks as usual. I also had a glass of Coke. It was a pretty routine flight for the most part. The movie and in-flight entertainment programs had been activated by now, and I had to put the shade down. So I decided to doze off a little (actually, I dozed off for a good chunk of time), and then I scanned the Sky Magazine. By the time we were over land, it was beginning to get clearer, although it was pretty hazy. We also had a pretty good tail wind for about 80% of the flight. At one time, it was about 130 mph, which effectively nullified the late takeoff from CDG. We had made one more turn to head SW. I put the shade up again and could see the Saint Lawrence passing by. About an hour and a half before landing, the FA’s came by with the snack service. It was a choice of a Turkey and Cheese Sandwich, or the usual tasteless tomatoes and cucumbers in a hoagie roll. We had the latter, and I ate it anyway since I was hungry. It did come with ketchup and mustard, but I didn’t wanna deal with hard-to-open packets. We passed by Toronto and Cleveland to our east.

[Onboard DL 43, CDG-CVG. The concrete spaghetti down there is YYZ.]

Descent was started right after we passed Cleveland. On the way down, we passed over Mansfield, Ohio. Then between Springfield and Columbus. About 20 minutes before landing, the connecting flight information showed up on channel two of the PTV’s. Our Comair flight was listed as departing from gate C62.

[Spoilers up for initial appproach to CVG. Onboard DL 43 from CDG to CVG.]

[DHL 300's in the new and old c/s's. Welcome to Cincinnati.]

[DHL 722's in the new c/s. Welcome to Cincinnati.]

Soon, we were going over the NE suburbs of Cincinnati. We went over downtown Cincinnati, then went over I-75, turned to the north and kept going for a while. ATC cleared us for landing on RWY 18L, and we turned back to intercept the localizer for the 5-mile final. It was a full flaps landing, and we were definitely descending faster than usual. Rubber greets concrete with a smack. Some reverse thrust was used. A little bit bumpy, but overall it wasn’t too bad of a landing. The pilot took the ‘craft off the runway and onto the Tango Four rapid-exit turnoff, and then we took Tango to Ramp 3, and ended up at gate B5.

Once out of the jetway, we walked to the right (I couldn’t see the waiting area b/c the door seperating the jetway from it was closed) and headed down to the immigration area. Ours was one of the first flights to arrive (the other one being DL 47 from FRA) and so we had no problem going through immigration. U.S. Citizens and permanent residents in one section, all visitors in the other section. We had already filled out our entry cards, and the immigration officer stamped both. Then he saw all the required documentation (ID’s etc.) and we were off to get our four checked-in bags. No photo, no fingerprinting. Nice. It took the better part of 15 minutes before our luggage finally started showing up. The flight from AMS had also arrived by now, so we had luggage from three heavies being unloaded on two belts. The carts were in short supply but were being bought back from another area, and we got two of those. Then, it was off to agriculture, and first, we had to get our cards and other stuff checked. The guy said we could go straight through the doors. Awesome! No bag checking. Others weren’t so lucky though. Hey, I was enjoying this, it’s not everytime we get to escape all this stuff. haha. Anyway, we headed off to the connecting flight counters of Delta to re-check our bags again for the last leg to OKC. Got that done, and it was off to get the Concourse C shuttle. There was only one entrance out of the room, and we ended up walking to Con B’s C shuttle station. The shuttle was already there. We got on and the driver headed on out. We went North of the station area, then took a left, passing by some 76’s at the gates. Then headed over to the west side of B, then did the taxiway crossing and finally onto the Con C ramp. A Comair CR7 had been pushed back for dep. It was in the special anniversary c/s. We got off the shuttle and headed into C’s central transfer area.

And my camera craps out…

Date: 8/9/04
    Flight: Delta Connection Comair 5893
    SDT: 5:35p.m.
    ADT: 5:30p.m.
    SAT: 6:41p.m.
    AAT: 6:15p.m.
    Equip: CRJ 200 (50 seats); c/s #2
    Seats: 3CD
    Dep. Weather: Fair skies, Temp in the low 80’s. South wind at 10mph.
    Arr. Weather: Fair skies. Temp in the mid 80’s. South wind at 10-15mph.
    Notes: If you really want to know what the reg # was, I’ll look for it next month when the August flights come out on the BTS site. Also, the winglets of this one had already been painted in the c/s #3 style.

Our flight was still to depart from gate C62. Well, we decided to head off to the pax holding area and call my dad. After that, we headed off to the food court on the north side of the concourse. We got a Parmesan cheese pretzel, which was pretty salty, and I got myself a small Starbucks Mocha. Then we browsed around in the central market area for a while, and got some magazines and a bag of honey cashews. Ok, we still had about an hour to go before boarding, so we decided to go back to the pax holding area and sit down. There being no windows in this concourse (I guess whoever designed it designed it with just one thing in mind-pax transfer zone, nothing else.) I sat down and finished my mocha. Anyway, there were several Comair flights that were headed out. Peoria, BGR, PHL, SDF, etc. Soon, it was time to board. Another Comair CR7 flight was being boarded at the same time as ours, and was headed off to Sarasota.

[A Comair CR7 headed to Sarasota as flight 5524 to SRQ.]

[A Weststar Express 722 on the former DHL ramp. Never even heard of the airline. First time I've seen one of its planes.]

We headed out one of the many doors (I forgot which one) and into the walkway. Then, out on the ramp and into the aircraft. The CRJ 700 headed to Sarasota was right next to ours. Boarding was completed pretty quickly, and this flight was also packed to the brim. The F/A welcomed us aboard and did the saftey demo, after which the door was closed. The CR7 had been pushed back by now and was headed out to RWY 18L. We got pushed back and were given clearance for taxi to RWY 18R. I was hoping for the crosswind, but oh well. On the way to the active, I snapped a photo of a Weststar Express 722Adv, and then for some reason my camera crapped out. Which meant no more pics. Oh well, I had had a banner of a day, so it didn’t really matter. CVG was pretty quiet, especially considering it was a Monday evening. There were no inbound ‘craft for RWY 18R, and we were given t/o clearance. The pilot took the aircraft over the piano keys and throttled the engines to t/o power. After a pretty quick 25 second roll, we were airborne. I saw RWY 9-27 pass under. The pilot banked the aircraft to the right, and we were heading on a WSW course. Today’s flight path would take us over Louisville (I saw SDF), Evansville (saw the airport as well), then Springfield (saw its airport also), then just north of Tulsa, then pretty much along I-44 and then OKC. Curising altitude was 27,000 ft. The F/A started the snack service soon, and I got the usual Snyder’s of Hannover pretzels, and the Biscoff cookies. I also had some Sprite. Rest of the flight was routine. Just some occasional light turbulence. Descent was started right after we passed Tulsa. In the distance, to our west, I saw some dark anvils and clouds. Yep, storms. But they were just ordinary storms, and were moving to the E. We approached Oklahoma City from the NE. Then we flew over I-35, then made the right turn to the west north of the downtown area. Flaps 20. ATC cleared us for landing on RWY 17L. The pilot banked the ‘craft to the left to intersect the marker. Flaps 50, gear down. We went over West Reno, where all the name-brand furniture stores are, including home and interior decoration stores. Those stores are pretty close to the airport, and so the delivery time is minimized. Then over I-40. Full flaps. Gotta love the nose-down attitude Finally, we were over the residential section north of the airport. Airport Road passed by, followed by 44th Street. Landing was smooth. R/t was activated only for the last 10 seconds of the roll, then we exited the runway using Echo 11, then took Echo back to the terminal. The arrival gate was C6. There wasn’t much going on on this side of the terminal. At C4 was a Skywest CR2 waiting for an SLC departure. A WN 732Adv was at C1 being turned around for a DAL dep. We headed through the concourse and through the plaza area right next to the sec. chkpint, and then down to the baggage claim area. The bags from the WN plane (which was at C1, having arrived from DAL) were put on the same belt as bags from our plane, so it was a little wait till we got all four of our bags. Presently, WN and DL/DL Conn share the same belt at OKC. That might change when the baggage claim lobby expansion’s done. After getting the bags, we headed out on the construction walkway, and grabbed a blue Airport Express. Our bags fit in the trunk nicely, and we were off to Norman.

Overall, a pleasant trip w/ DL, except for the seat assignment screw-up, everything was gr8. I hope DL’s around for good, its customer service is one of the best overall, if not the best. And yeah, CDG really needs a major renovation of its T2 facilities.

Questions/comments/suggestions are all welcome.

Happy Flying!

No photo, no fingerprinting
    Very interesting (both Part 2 and 3). The photo and fingerprinting thing is wierd though...it's a standard enforced rule now...they usually do it at all airports. It's not that bad anyway.
    "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Re:

Hey Tanuj. Yeah, I guess they don't do it for U.S. citizens and permanent residents. Interesting indeed.

Foxtrot

Comment

Cool!
        - The baby will be back -

Comment

great, very informative
          Some people in today's society are so thick!

Comment

Re:

Thanks folks!

Happy Flying!

Comment

Great report Ameya...I really enjoyed reading it.

Yeah I was surprised about the fingerprinting and photographing....when did they start this? I have never had to go through it, but then you mentioned that its only for non US Citizens and Permanent Residents, so I guess that is why. I traveled a lot internationally over the summer and I was curious to know why they do this? Is it only for Indians or other nationalities?

-Pete
              Pete Ganabathi
              Embry Riddle Aeronautical University

Fly Frontier Airlines - A Whole Different Animal

Comment

Pete, it's for all non-permanent residents and non-citizens.
                "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Originally posted by indian airlines
                  Pete, it's for all non-permanent residents and non-citizens.
                  Thats what I was wondering.....thats good to know.

Thanks for the info Tanuj.

-Pete
                  Pete Ganabathi

Comment

Re:

Hey Pete, glad you enjoyed reading all three parts of the review.

To add to Tanuj's reply, the photographing and finger-printing is all part of a new screening process called US-VISIT. It was formulated and put into place this year by the Dept. of Homeland Security.

Happy Flying!

Comment

Thanks Ameya!

-Pete
                      Pete Ganabathi

Comment

All three reports were great, especially with the pics! I was on DL 44 2 months ago today going into CDG...that taxi into the terminal there brings back some memories.

That 727 was still in the spot where you saw it a week later...here's a shot I got of it from DL 45 AMS-CVG August 17th.

DeltaRules

http://www.flightlevel350.com/aviati...r=Josh+Sprague

Comment

Re:

Hey DeltaRules,

Cool stuff! Yes, I read that review you posted here, that was a neat one!

Thanks!

Happy Flying!

Comment

Working...
                          X