Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LIT-ATL-MOB (with a divert) on Delta (Long Report/Some Pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jbrewster1012
    Originally posted by FlyCharlestonSC
    There are some times when the planes are packed in so much that they have to push an ASA CRJ back to get to the Comair CRJ that's parked in front of it. It's a mess.

Fortunately, Charleston is looking into building new regional jet friendly concourses!
    I don't understand why the airlines don't rent another gate. Didn't you say there is an empty gate or two? At LIT, Delta has a gate that only has like 3 flights a day, same with American.
    The way it works in CHS is that any airline can have as many gates as they want as long as they pay the standard fee. If another airline is paying for that gate, they can use it as long as that airline has no scheduled flights 1 hr before and 1 hr after the airline wants to use it. So yes, DL or US could use one of the vacant gates (DL will be parking 5 RJs and 3MD88s overnight and US will be parking 3 737s, a CRJ, and a BE1). The reason they don't is because that would mean they would have to pay for more employees to staff those gates.

Talk about a budget airline!

Comment

There are some times when the planes are packed in so much that they have to push an ASA CRJ back to get to the Comair CRJ that's parked in front of it. It's a mess.

Fortunately, Charleston is looking into building new regional jet friendly concourses!
      I don't understand why the airlines don't rent another gate. Didn't you say there is an empty gate or two? At LIT, Delta has a gate that only has like 3 flights a day, same with American.
      The way it works in CHS is that any airline can have as many gates as they want as long as they pay the standard fee. If another airline is paying for that gate, they can use it as long as that airline has no scheduled flights 1 hr before and 1 hr after the airline wants to use it. So yes, DL or US could use one of the vacant gates (DL will be parking 5 RJs and 3MD88s overnight and US will be parking 3 737s, a CRJ, and a BE1). The reason they don't is because that would mean they would have to pay for more employees to staff those gates.

Talk about a budget airline!
      I'm assuming there isn't a spot to park those aircraft besides at the gate?

I guess the gate fees at LIT must be cheaper than CHS. American inherited TWA's gate and didn't use it for about a year, (the only reason they are using it now is because they are remodeling one of the gates they normally use) and American's logo was still all over the gate, and I when I asked the airport who was paying for that gate, if anyone, the reply was American.
      Prepare For Takeoff - Spread Your Wings - Take Flight at Little Rock National
      ATL, BWI, CLT, CVG, DAL, DEN, DFW, DTW, EWR, HOU, IAD, IAH, LAS, MCI, MCO, MDW, MEM, MSP, ORD, PHX, SLC, and STL.

Comment

Great Report!

I remember flying into LIT for a funeral...its a great airport...so easy to use!

Again, Great Report!

Patrick

Next Flights:

October 14, 2006 - Airtran MDW-MSP
        October 16, 2006 - Airtran MSP-MDW

Comment

I'm assuming there isn't a spot to park those aircraft besides at the gate?
          There is an overflow tarmac, but DL packs in 2 rows of 3 CRJs in front of the gate like this:

XXX
          XXX
          G

X=an RJ
          G= the gate

It's a problem when one closest to the terminal is scheduled to leave before one in the back row. That involves 2 pushbacks!

I guess the gate fees at LIT must be cheaper than CHS.
          No. It would be no extra charge for them to take on a second gate. All of the airlines in CHS pay 1 fee. This means that they have their name on one gate, but can use any gate in the airport. If another airline is paying for that gate, they can only use it 1hr before and after any scheduled flight by the airline that is paying for the gate.

The only reason DL and US have not used these extra gates is because they would have to hire additional employees to staff them.

Comment

Sorry to bring this back up.

I got the answer to how many RJs can use a gate in a day, but what about mainline? What's the normal maximum number of mainline planes that can use a gate in a day? I would guess around 7 or 8?
            Prepare For Takeoff - Spread Your Wings - Take Flight at Little Rock National
            ATL, BWI, CLT, CVG, DAL, DEN, DFW, DTW, EWR, HOU, IAD, IAH, LAS, MCI, MCO, MDW, MEM, MSP, ORD, PHX, SLC, and STL.

Comment

LIT-ATL-MOB (with a divert) on Delta (Long Report/Some Pics)

Sorry to bring this back up.

I got the answer to how many RJs can use a gate in a day, but what about mainline? What's the normal maximum number of mainline planes that can use a gate in a day? I would guess around 7 or 8?
              Depends on wether you're talking Legacy or Southwest .
              It really depends on airline and a/c type, but average domestic gate use should be around 8 flights per day. Though, in case of NW/CO/DL, the DOT or DOJ demanded that the airlines give up gates at their hub airports which receive less than 6 flights per day.

-Colin

Comment

Working...
              X