Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LIT-ATL-MOB (with a divert) on Delta (Long Report/Some Pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LIT-ATL-MOB (with a divert) on Delta (Long Report/Some Pics)

I was looking forward to this trip because I haven't flown Delta in a year or so, (all of my trips in the past year or so have been on either WN or AA) and because I would get to fly on 4 different planes. (Or so I thought )

*Warning*- I have included several pictures that I took in this trip report. But be warned, they are of CRAPPY quality, so before you make any snide remarks I just wanted to say that. They were taken with my PDA, which doesn't have the best camera for far-away shots.
    And I hope you'll excuse any grammar or spelling mistakes that are in this report. I'm very tired but wanted to type this anyway so I wouldn't forget anything)

November 24
    -Delta Flt# 1646 LIT-ATL with a stop in GSP
    -MD-88, Reg #- N928DL)
    I didn't get a picture of our plane, so here's one I found in the database.

[photoid=11018]

-Departure: 7:45 (although I believe every departure on my trip was delayed by about 15 or 20 minutes for various reasons)
    -Arrival: Around 12:30 or 1:00. This was suppose to be a short flight, around a little more than an hour. But it was much longer.
    -Seat Assignment: 24 B

I got to the airport in time, expecting a huge line because of the holiday traffic, but there was almost no line in the DL check-in. I think there was one person in front of me. Security also had a very short wait. I noticed that our Gate 1, which American Eagle uses, was gone. Well not really gone, but there was a wall built around where it usually is. But then I remembered hearing that a new departure "lounge" is being built, which will have enough seats for Gate 1 and 3. The reason it's being built is because the security lines were extended after 9/11 and the lines were literally on top of the gate.
    So now they are operating out of Gates 3 and 5, instead of 1 and 3. But the move was no problem because they inherited Gate 5 from TWA, and just hadn't been using it for several months, since mainline AA pulled out. I'm interested to see what it's going to look like when completed. I also saw a Frontier CRJ at LIT for the first time.
    Anyway, boarding was uneventful and as I mentioned, our departure was delayed. I'm not exactly sure why it was though. I'm guessing because some of the passengers had checked in but hadn't made it to the gate yet.

This is a view out of my window at LIT. (Sorry for the crappy quality. As mentioned, this was taken with my PDA, which doesn't take good pictures of things far away, and the rain on the window didn't help at all. ) There's a NW DC-9 in the new livery at it's gate.
    Take off also went off without a hitch. After an hour, the "fun" started. The pilot reported that we were on initial decent in to the ATL area. But after about 5 minutes, he reported that there was thunderstorms in the ATL area but that we would try to go around them and land anyway. The F/A even started calling out connecting gate information. But shortly thereafter, the pilot reported that we would not be landing right away and would remain in a holding pattern above ATL for about 30 minutes. You could hear the groans throughout the plane. After about 45 minutes of flying around, the pilot came on and said we were low on fuel and had to divert because ATL was closed because of a storm. And he announced that we were diverting to Greenville/Spartanburg, SC. I heard about 20 people say "WHERE?!, and a bunch of them got out DL's magazine with the routemap to check where that was. Luckily that airport isn't too far from ATL. We arrived at that airport about 20 minutes later. In case you haven't been to GSP, the airport is rather small, well, small looking compared to LIT, I don't know how big it is on the inside. We taxied to a remote area of the tarmac to refuel.

This picture is a view outside of my window in GSP.
    Two passengers towards the back of the plane called the F/A's and told them that they wanted to get off, that their final destination was in SC anyway and that they didn't want to waste the time it took to go back to ATL and then come back. Reluctantly the F/A's let them go. But they tried hard to dissuade them, saying that the passengers couldn't rebook on DL and that the airport had no rental cars, and that their luggage would keeping going to ATL and then come back to SC on their normal flight. The passengers wouldn't let up though and said they had relatives an hour away, so they left. The F/As opened the back door in the tail to let the passengers out. All this is happening as the plane is refueling. So when those two people are off the plane, we start back for ATL. This time we made it. There were Delta planes galore. But would you expect anything else in ATL? I didn't see one DL plane painted in the widget livery in ATL. I don't know how many are left, but I didn't see any. I did see several planes painted in the Ron Allen scheme, and then of course the plane I was on was painted in that scheme.
    De-boarding was hectic. We were over 2 hours late and everybody was worried about connections. The F/As didn't even try to talk about gate information. The airport was chaotic anyway because of the delays that the storm had caused. I got off to plane to find that my original flight to MOB had already left. But that was no surprise. I did see another MOB flight listed though and proceeded to that gate. Luckily, the gate agent found me a seat. I found that the plane that I would be taking would be another MD88, instead of the 732 that my original flight was going to be on. I was disappointed, but not for long.
    --------------------
    ATL-MOB
    -Delta Flt #285
    -MD-88, Reg # N954DL

(Taken on PDA at MOB)

Here's a good shot of it...[photoid=250870]
    Co-incidentally, this MD-88 was also in the Ron Allen colors. I didn't think there were that many left, so I was surprised.

Here's a shot of a MD-88 in ATL in the new livery. I believe the Reg# is 963 .

Anyway...
    Departure: Around 2:30 or 3:00. (The flight was originally scheduled for 12:57, but the plane hadn't arrived on time because of the storm and so my flight was pushed back.)
    Arrival: Around 4:00.
    Seat Assignment: 17E

This MD-88 had the new interiors. They were nice. They looked good and were comfortable, so this made up for my disappointment that I didn't get on a 732. This flight was much shorter, and uneventful, than the last one, lasting just a little bit over an hour. We arrived in MOB and I discovered that the MOB airport is actually smaller that LIT, even though I'm pretty sure that MOB has a bigger population. The airport only has 7 gates and 2 baggage carousels. I got my bags and was picked up by a friend.

I'll post my return later.
    Prepare For Takeoff - Spread Your Wings - Take Flight at Little Rock National
    ATL, BWI, CLT, CVG, DAL, DEN, DFW, DTW, EWR, HOU, IAD, IAH, LAS, MCI, MCO, MDW, MEM, MSP, ORD, PHX, SLC, and STL.

LIT-ATL-MOB (with a divert) on Delta (Long Report/Some Pics

Nice report. Too bad you had to experience one of the worst-weather days in ATL . About MOB being bigger than LIT, you're correctt, MOB has 198,000 inhabitans (540,000 in the metropolitan area), while LIT has 183,000. Looking forward to a (less eventful) trip back .

-Colin

Comment

nicce report
      Airlines: XT,KL,SN,ACA,DL,AF,TV,SN,OS,LX,WA,NW,FI,US,AW,CO,OH,OO,9W,AA,AE,FL,B6

Aircraft:AT4,B763,B734,A321,B743,FRJ,B763ER,B772,A343,B733,F70,MD80,AR8,A319,CRJ,F50,D10,D95,A333,B752,B762,ERD,B764,CR9,B77W,AB6,ATR,B717,E190

Airports: ANR,AMS,ATL,BRU,ATH,JFK,LGA,GSP,CDG,FCO,EWR,FAO,VIE,ZRH,MEM,DTW,KEF,PHL,CLT,IAH,MIA,JAX

Comment

i hope you were treated well in my (not so) fair state!

anywhoo, what do you think about the new MD-88?
        i think that there isn't enough room in that plane.
        wat about the new interiors?
        i thought they were pretty cool on my flight, but not so exciting...

Comment

Originally posted by FlyCharlestonSC
          i hope you were treated well in my (not so) fair state!

anywhoo, what do you think about the new MD-88?
          i think that there isn't enough room in that plane.
          wat about the new interiors?
          i thought they were pretty cool on my flight, but not so exciting...

The new interiors were nice. After spending over 2 hours in the old cloth interior, you can tell the difference. They look a whole lot better. And the seats were a lot firmer, you don't sink into them as much as the old cloth ones.

On another note, as I mentioned, the airport is in the process of building that one big lounge connecting those two gates. I was wondering who actually pays for that? I was thinking that the airport might, but then, AA rents that space from the airport. So would they pay for it?
          Another question, what's the maximum number of RJ flights that can operate from 2 gates? (Assuming the planes connect to the jetbridge.) AA has 3 gates with only 15 flights. Isn't that a waste of money to rent that 3rd gate?
          ATL, BWI, CLT, CVG, DAL, DEN, DFW, DTW, EWR, HOU, IAD, IAH, LAS, MCI, MCO, MDW, MEM, MSP, ORD, PHX, SLC, and STL.

Comment

LIT-ATL-MOB (with a divert) on Delta (Long Report/Some Pics)

Originally posted by Jbrewster1012
            Another question, what's the maximum number of RJ flights that can operate from 2 gates? (Assuming the planes connect to the jetbridge.) AA has 3 gates with only 15 flights. Isn't that a waste of money to rent that 3rd gate?
            Well, normaly a single gate can handle an average of around 10 flights per day, though FlyI (used to) handle(s) up 16 flights at ATL or EWR.

-Colin

Comment

nice report
              - The baby will be back -

Comment

Re: LIT-ATL-MOB (with a divert) on Delta (Long Report/Some P

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
                Well, normaly a single gate can handle an average of around 10 flights per day, though FlyI (used to) handle(s) up 16 flights at ATL or EWR.

-Colin
                At CHS, one gate handles 20 RJ flights every day!!!
                Plus an ATR on Saturdays!
                Plus another RJ after Dec. 1!

Comment

-Colin

Doesn't your small airport have an empty gate? Or is that reserved for Air Tran ?

-Colin

Comment

-Colin

Do they connect to the jet bridge?

Comment

Return trip posted....

Comment

Doesn't your small airport have an empty gate? Or is that reserved for Air Tran ?

-Colin
                        We have 2 extra gates, but DL and US Airways are both parking multiple mainline jets overnight, so I think there will be none left as of February (until FlyI goes under).

Btw, Air Tran is still coming. They're just delayed.

No. There are up to 6 pulled up at one time though!!!

Comment

No. There are up to 6 pulled up at one time though!!!
                          That's worse than ATL and DFW, where only a max of 3 CRJs pull up to one gate.

-Colin

Comment

There are some times when the planes are packed in so much that they have to push an ASA CRJ back to get to the Comair CRJ that's parked in front of it. It's a mess.

Fortunately, Charleston is looking into building new regional jet friendly concourses!

Comment

There are some times when the planes are packed in so much that they have to push an ASA CRJ back to get to the Comair CRJ that's parked in front of it. It's a mess.

Fortunately, Charleston is looking into building new regional jet friendly concourses!
                              I don't understand why the airlines don't rent another gate. Didn't you say there is an empty gate or two? At LIT, Delta has a gate that only has like 3 flights a day, same with American.

Comment

Working...
                              X