No announcement yet.

Journey to Oz: Part One *Lots of pics!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Journey to Oz: Part One *Lots of pics!

This past June, I had the privelage of traveling to Australia and New Zealand as a delegate of an organization promoting peace and understanding throughout the world. I'm on winter break right now, so I figured I might as well post a series of trip reports covering the 16,518 statute miles and the 50-some hours I spent in the air during this month-long journey.

We begin in my hometown of Scottsdale, Arizona. The morning of June 4th arrived faster than I thought it would. I had been waiting for this trip since last year, and was in a state of disbelief now that it had finally arrived. I made final preperations, ensured I had all my travel documents, and re-checked my luggage before we walked out the door around 1:45pm. My dad drove me to the airport, and after battling traffic down the Loop 101 South, we parked in Terminal 3's garage and headed to group checkin where I'd meet up with the rest of the delegation.

After final goodbye's, all 42 of us headed through security. We were able to get through in pretty good time, and headed to gate A4 where we'd catch our first leg of our endeavor.

America West #32
    PHX_LAX
    Boeing 737-300
    ETD: 1624 ATD: 1640 *all times are local
    ETA: 1744 ATA: ?

Turned out our flight was a tad late, but no-big; we had a couple hours layover at LAX before we hopped QF26 LAX_AKL_BNE. This flight was on an old 733 (sorry, I'm real bad at not getting regs).

Legroom was sufficient (I'm 6'4"), but something about HP's (America West) seats makes my back ache like no other. We took off on rwy26. T/o roll was a little longer than I expected for such a short flight, but our climbout towards the west was pretty quick.

The flight was short and uneventful. No turbulence or air pockets. Service was good (I hate it when people complain about how the service wasn't perfect- I say you can go work for the airline yourself to improve service if you're going to whine about it) We began our descent over the mist-covered Sierra Nevadas.
    [photoid=383228]
    It was a foggy/soupy/hazy (whatever you wanna call it) day in Los Angeles, and the entire descent was like flying through pea soup- couldn't see anything.
    We touched down westbound on the north runways and I was amazed (even though I was expecting it) at just how much rubber there was on the runways.

As we backtracked to our gate we taxied by a bunch of Qantas 744's- our next aircraft- sitting on the tarmac.

We deplaned and I managed to sneak a photo of the cockpit while the mechanics were fixing the radios or something on the rear of the pedestal.

So that was leg #1. Because I flew 6 legs I'm going to split the legs up into different posts so I can put lots of pics in for your viewing pleasure. Hope you enjoyed Part One!
    Last edited by NOTAR520AC; 2005-01-04, 23:26.
    Click below.

[http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=3669]

Ya'll can comment if you want ya know.
    Click below.

Comment

Nice pics! May I ask what organization you were a part of? Was is People to People by any chance...?
      Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Originally posted by herpa2003
        Nice pics! May I ask what organization you were a part of? Was is People to People by any chance...?
        Nailed it right on the head herpa. Have you traveled with them before?
        Click below.

Comment

Originally posted by NOTAR520AC
          Nailed it right on the head herpa. Have you traveled with them before?
          I am travelling with them for the first time this summer. Did you get to request a window seat on your flights, or were you stuck wherever they put you?
          Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Re:

Nice review. Not able to see the pics though. I'm just getting red X's.

Foxtrot

Comment

Same problem here. Would love to see the pics

Comment

Originally posted by ptbodale
                Same problem here. Would love to see the pics
                Don't worry- I'm gonna fix it after I get home- have to go to school now.
                Click below.

Comment

***Pictures have been re-uploaded- the red-x's should be gone.
                  Click below.

Comment

Re:

Photos can be seen now. Gr8 pics!

Foxtrot

Comment

I'm able to see the pics now. Excellent (I found the updates for my XP as well).

Comment

nice report and pics
                        Airlines: XT,KL,SN,ACA,DL,AF,TV,SN,OS,LX,WA,NW,FI,US,AW,CO,OH,OO,9W,AA,AE,FL,B6

Aircraft:AT4,B763,B734,A321,B743,FRJ,B763ER,B772,A343,B733,F70,MD80,AR8,A319,CRJ,F50,D10,D95,A333,B752,B762,ERD,B764,CR9,B77W,AB6,ATR,B717,E190

Airports: ANR,AMS,ATL,BRU,ATH,JFK,LGA,GSP,CDG,FCO,EWR,FAO,VIE,ZRH,MEM,DTW,KEF,PHL,CLT,IAH,MIA,JAX

Comment

Working...
                        X