Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Journey to Oz: Part Three *Lots of pics!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Journey to Oz: Part Three *Lots of pics!

Whew! Writing these things is a lot of work. This is leg #3 of my Aus/NZ trip.

Qantas #26 (continuation)
    LAX_AKL_BNE, AKL_BNE leg
    Boeing 747-438 Longreach (RR powered)
    ETD: 0650 ATD: 0700-ish
    ETA: 0820 ATA: ?

After getting off, we were hearded into a tiny sitting area for our gate while the plane was cleaned. After sitting for a while in the dead airport, we had to go through security again. After a second screening, we went back into our little gate waiting area, which had suddenly become populated with the rest of our flight. I started thinking, and realized we never experienced June 5, 2004 due to the Int'l Date Line. I also realized we had been awake and on the run for the past 30-some hours, without a shower.

Boarding was...chaotic to say the least. Our seating arrangements were not grouped, so the delegation was split up all over the aircraft and mixed in with other passengers. Unlike our first flight from Los Angeles, this leg was completely booked- I counted only three open seats. This time I was stuck in an aisle seat, wedged in with an elderly couple between doors #2 & #3.

After watching the safety video, we took off just as the sun peeked above the horizon.

Climbing through a cloud layer, the sun shortly followed, lighting up the sky in a red and orange blaze. (sorry for the quality- had to shoot through an exit door window since I didn't have a window seat)

For the first time in about 20 hours, we saw the sun. It was dark the entire flight from LAX_AKL, so here's the first cabin shot I was able to get:

[photoid=326937]

We were served breakfast about halfway- eggs, a piece of soggy bread which Iím guessing was supposed to be French Toast, orange juice, fruit bowl, and I think thatís about it. The fruit bowl was my favorite- nice and fresh.

I managed to get some winglet shots- they look so majestic, slicing through the air at 600mph. I also took a quick peek on the top deck- real quiet with a huge galley. Was a neat view looking down at the engines and wing.

[photoid=326938]

As we neared Brisbane, the clouds cleared and we got a first look at the Gold Coast. It was absolutely beautiful- the water was gold from the sun's reflection. Unfortunately, despite my 'flawless' photo backup system (transferring them to my laptop), I somehow managed to delete the second half of the pictures I took on this flight, including the ones of the Gold Coast. This sort of ruined my day, but hey- how often do you get to fly over the Pacific Ocean for a trip? Luckily, on our flight to NZ 2 weeks later, I managed to snap this one:

This was a short and uneventful flight. By now everyone was getting a little cranky, and I think the f/a's were too since they had to wake up to make the early departure. By the time we landed, I was glad to get off, as I was starting to feel a little claustrophobic (sp?) on the fully-packed 747.

Before we landed, we were handed immigration cards that asked for our contact numbers, addresses of hotels, etc.- very specific. To our relief, there was almost no line to get our passports stamped- in fact, we were the first. After rounding up our bags, we kicked off our first day. By the time we finally got back to the hotel, we had been awake for over 45 hours. Needless to say, we all slept well that night.
    Last edited by NOTAR520AC; 2005-01-03, 22:07.
    Click below.

[http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=3669]

Ya'll can comment if you want ya know.
    Click below.

Comment

Nice pics! How were you able to get those great window shots when you were stuck in an aisle seat?
      Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Had to get up and go to an exit door window. Is anyone else seeing red-X's for the pics? Do I need to re-upload them?
        Click below.

Comment

I'm seeing the Xs now as well...
          Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Photos have been re-uploaded for this thread and should be viewable. Still working on the [photoid=xxxxx] pics though.

Thx.
            Click below.

Comment

Re:

Nice pics! Gr8 review all-around.

Foxtrot

Comment

Our family is travelling YYZ to SYD (via YVR and HNL on March 7th). Don't you just love that sick feeling you have after being up so many hours and cramped in an acft? The key, so says my wife is to drink lots of fluid and stay on your feet during the stop overs. I still feel crummy until I've had a VB.

Good pics, always fun when you travel in a group.

Comment

nice report and pics
                  Airlines: XT,KL,SN,ACA,DL,AF,TV,SN,OS,LX,WA,NW,FI,US,AW,CO,OH,OO,9W,AA,AE,FL,B6

Aircraft:AT4,B763,B734,A321,B743,FRJ,B763ER,B772,A343,B733,F70,MD80,AR8,A319,CRJ,F50,D10,D95,A333,B752,B762,ERD,B764,CR9,B77W,AB6,ATR,B717,E190

Airports: ANR,AMS,ATL,BRU,ATH,JFK,LGA,GSP,CDG,FCO,EWR,FAO,VIE,ZRH,MEM,DTW,KEF,PHL,CLT,IAH,MIA,JAX

Comment

Working...
                  X