Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JTO Part 5: The Beginning of the End (CHC-AKL on QF)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airfrancefan
    replied
    once again nice report

Leave a comment:

• ptbodale
    replied
    Never worry about too many photos. Always great to look at.

Leave a comment:

• NOTAR520AC
    replied
    Originally posted by Simpleboy
    All QFs 733s on domestic in NZ are second hand, therefore are not the 338s.

They have 376s and a 33A

With regards to pushback, yes you are very close to the grass.
    [photoid=391475]
    Hmmm... I'll have to mention that to Dan. Thanks Sam.

Leave a comment:

• Simpleboy
    replied
    All QFs 733s on domestic in NZ are second hand, therefore are not the 338s.

They have 376s and a 33A

With regards to pushback, yes you are very close to the grass.
    [photoid=391475]

Leave a comment:

• NOTAR520AC
    replied
    Originally posted by Simpleboy
    Nice report,

Couple of corrections,
    QF dont have 737-338s on NZ domestic routes.
    QF sends 763s here not 762s.
    The Virgin aircraft you saw is most likely Pacific Blue not Virgin Blue (only 99% sure of that as the odd Virgin comes here for various reasons) and the time you departed matches the arrival time of DJ 62.
    Thanks Sam. Are you sure about the -338? I could have sworn the safety card said 737-300 & Dan told me it was a -338. What else does QF use for 737 equip?

Sorry we weren't able to meet up while I was down there.

Leave a comment:

• kiwilliam
    replied
    Great job!

Well done mate! You did a great job! I like all your pics that you were taken at CHC airport, on the plane and at AKL airport! All your pics made my heart beats really fast--I want to fly again soon!!!!! Really can't wait anymore. I fly quite a lot too, but most of the time I just couldn't be bothered to take my cam out to give some shots! I will do it next time when I fly!!!

Well done mate!

Kiwilliam

Leave a comment:

• Simpleboy
    replied
    Nice report,

Couple of corrections,
    QF dont have 737-338s on NZ domestic routes.
    QF sends 763s here not 762s.
    The Virgin aircraft you saw is most likely Pacific Blue not Virgin Blue (only 99% sure of that as the odd Virgin comes here for various reasons) and the time you departed matches the arrival time of DJ 62.

Leave a comment:

• JTO Part 5: The Beginning of the End (CHC-AKL on QF)

This thread marks the beginning of the grueling long, long, long, long, LONG return to Phoenix. I think total return time was something around 30 hours. I of course can never sleep on planes because I'm too excited to be flying, so I slept pretty well that night. And the neat thing was, this was the longest day of my life- it was June 25th the entire way going home.

Qantas #4132
    June 25, 2005
    CHC-AKL
    ETD: 1420
    ETA: 1540
    Boeing 737-338

I don't remember much about this flight on because towards the end of trips, I usually really don't feel like writing in my journal anymore. But I will try my best.

After a morning of high blood pressure and frantic last-minute packing, we finally made it to Christchurch Intl Airport around noon. The airport is nice and much more calm than the others we'd been going through, so that was quite the relief.

We were the only group at group check-in, and security was also relatively fast. After a month of traveling and buying souvenirs, all of our bags were overweight. We definately lucked out- the check-in staff I guess had pity on us and they didn't charge us overweight fees. Kudos to Qantas!

ANZ 733 on the way to the gate.

We actually made it early to the gate this time. The waiting area was pretty small, and some people had to stand. NO supervisor was watching us- there wasn't even a gate agent present until he walked up and started the boarding process. But who cares. We got to listen to music and get off our feet. Our plane pulled up probably a half hour after we'd been waiting.

We were the first to board once again (gee I loved that- the entire trip we got priority boarding). So down the jetway we went, and into the ol' 733. I was stunned at how nice it looked! Qantas takes really good care of their planes! It had the new comfortable seats with that colored ambient lighting, the bulbs weren't yellowed, etc. Very nice.

(Sorry the pic looks crappy- I had to print-screen it into Paintshop b/c I took it with a video cam, not a camera)

I stole a window seat from my buddy, and boarding finished in about 15 minutes. Engines were started as we were pushed back. They didn't turn us with the taxiway (kept our nose straight), and the main gears were pretty close to the edge of the tarmac/grass, so when the engines started the grass was billowing from the exhaust. Shortly after we began our taxi, the pilot slammed on the brakes. He came over the intercom & announced we had an electrical glitch (didn't say what, and it wasn't apparent from the cabin, so I'm not sure what it was). So a guy in a golfcart came out (driving dangerously close to the running engine, mind you) and hooked up his headset in the nose gear bay & after a couple of minutes we were ready to go again.

We were #2 for takeoff behind a QF 762, and as we took the runway I saw something special. Turns out a RNZAF 752 was behind us. I thought this was pretty funny, because they had just been purchased in April (I think), and I had seen Mike Jorgensen's awesome pic (below) when it was photo of the week, and had said to myself, "Gee, I hope I run into that while I'm down there." & I did.
    [photoid=280685]

Takeoff roll was nice and short, and we rotated into a steep climb out of the airport, spotting my first VirginBlue aircraft.

(once again sorry for quality- from video)

Needless to say it was a pretty short hop. The scenery we saw on our way out was stunning (I envy you, Sam). Whispy clouds, green coasts, and snow-covered peaks all in one flight.

[photoid=412247]

[photoid=412252]

I think we got some snack packs and drinks before we began our descent into Auckland, where I witnessed the coolest sight of the flight- a VERTICAL rainbow.

[photoid=320044]

The scenery was so green it felt like I could have bit into it. Auckland is beautiful from the air- houses nestled atop rolling hills, lakes and water everywhere you look.

In no time we were gear-down and finishing a rather sharp turn onto a short final. Landing was nice and smooth, and we taxied over the weathered tarmac to our gate.

Next we faced a our and a half layover before hopping onto QF25 back to L.A.

View from boarding area of QF25 (had to sneak through the security folding walls).

So that's part 5. All comments/suggestions appreciated. Sorry I went kinda heavy on the pics- all of our NZ flying had been at night or I hadn't gotten a window seat, so I was snapping frame after frame whenever the scenery changed. Thanks all.
Working...
X