MD-80s are terrible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MD-80s are terrible

I just had my second ride on an AAL MD-80 and my mind is made up. These airplanes are the worst airliner to ride. They are narrow with no leg room and a bonus, I had to sit in the back of the airplane and damn these things are noisy. I have ridden in the back of B727 and the noise is not bad at all, but MD-80s are a deafening ride.
    My photos at JP.net

National Air Traffic Controllers Association

They are very loud when you sit close to the back. In the front, It is very quite. I like the MD-80 except for the fact there is no IFE.
    Fly Delta Jets!

Comment

Spoiled brats

Very spoiled you all are!
      I have flown on MD-80s, DC-9s, and even the dreaded Fokker 100 (which I later came to love). I would say that the Super 80s are AA's best investment. True, no IFE, but if it gets you where you need to go, why complain?!
      I know people who haven't flown in their life! (well, maybe once)
      It's incredible to be able to fly at all. A privilege, not a right to be granted freely.

Here's some advice:
      Try going TRANSCON on a F-27 in Canadian winter! Maybe you'll stop complaining about a MD-80!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've done that. no IFE, a few snacks, and a freezing plane,but left me with very impressive memories from that ride when I was 7 years old. It was amazing! I would give anything to do it again. A dutch beauty taking me from Halifax-Calgary on a turboprop leaving shortly before lunch,stopping in one remote Canadian town to refuel before heading to Winnipeg, and then Calgary late at night.
      All this on Mobil Aviation! Thanks Mobil for a great flight! It was a shuttle flight for oil workers and their families.
      FLY COPA AIRLINES - Beauty that Graces the Skies of Latin America, Youngest Fleet in Latin America
      Convenience from "Hub of the Americas" at Tocumen International Airport.

Comment

The last emergency row (Row 22, Seat A w/Jetsgo anyway) on MD-83's is one of my favourite seats.

Comment

I flew in an Alaska MD-83 and i loved it. I love flying in any airliner, i'll love it no matter what the aircraft is. If there's no IFE, bring a laptop or CD player.
          sigpic
          http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Except for the window-less seats just right to the engines, the MadDog is a good plane to ride on, personnally, I have seen worse, much worse. Furthermore, an airliner is rarely uncomfortable by itself, it's how you airline did !
            Alain
            Thanks for visiting
            *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
            *JetPhotos*
            Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Mad-dogs are awesome I think I get one on my may to LAX in a couple weeks.
              You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

They make me feel very cramped. They are nice in that there is the option of having a window seat and only one person beside you. I like 2-3 seating. I have only flown DL and AS Md-80s and I have to say, I would have rather had a 737NG, but the -80s aren't bad planes.
                THE VOICE OF REASON HAS SPOKEN!
                Pop quiz: Which US president said, "Saddam Hussein has spent the better part of this decade, and much of his nation's wealth, not on providing for the Iraqi people, but on developing nuclear, chemical and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver them."
                George W. Bush is not correct. It was Bill Clinton in his 1998 State of the Union speech. HMMMMMMMMM.

Comment

I love the M80s! Flew one JFK-DCA last March & it was great- I thought they were more roomy than Delta's 752s. Very high-performance a/c.
                  Click below.

[http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=3669]

Comment

Originally posted by atcvector
                    with no leg room
                    AA has MRTC on all of their MD-80s, so if you think the leg room was bad, try a 757 or A300!
                    Aside from that point, I do agree. MD-80s are too narrow and are very uncomfortable for flights longer than a few hours. Nothing is worse than sitting in the last row!!!
                    DELTA- Don't Expect Luggage To Arrive

Comment

actually, i love flying on AVs mad dogs they're great for flying within Colombia

Comment

I hte it when people complain abuot a certain aircraft not having legroom, thats the airlines fault.
                        Sam Rudge
                        A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

I hate it when people complain about anything.
                          Click below.

[http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=3669]

Comment

Ride one one more time, then make your decision.
                            -Kevin

Comment

MD-80s are great! I flew on one this past summer, seated in the rear right in front of the engines (just barely enough so my view wasn't obscured) and I didn't think it was loud at all. Very smooth and stable aircraft in my opinion.
                              Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Working...
                              X